10+ Year Old Account

Unholy tank threat

Hello fellow Unholy tanks!

Ever since the latest patch I'm having alot of trouble keeping my aggro up, especially in AOE.
    Before the patch i had no problem with this.

Nothing on my gear or talents changed badly that would change my aggro except for Icy Touch, but I take it it has nothing to do with AOE tanking.
    The way i AOE tank and always have tanked is: Plague strike, icy touch, pestilence, blood boil, scourge strike, scourge strike, pestilence (to reset diseases), blood boil and back to scourge strike.

Anyone having the same problems??
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Re: Unholy tank threat

Start out with DnD, then go IT PS pest blood tap BB

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Xavias08
    Start out with DnD, then go IT PS pest blood tap BB
    i forgot to mention DnD lol, i use that always as first =P, the blood boil comes in the second cooldown round, sorry!
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Doesn't matter you will have to go blood in cata :P

Where the hell is my worgen shaman?

15+ Year Old Account

BB only needs one disease for its full power. and depending on your dps you might even want to bb right after dnd.

If you have problems with the sustained aoe threat, you should continue as you did (with both diseases for WP) and simply tab through targets a bit faster.

PS: You shouldn't be tanking as unholy anyway

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zao
    PS: You shouldn't be tanking as unholy anyway
    All trees can be used for tanking.
    If that's your opinion I'm fine with that, but the way you wrote it you're trolling. I don't think a mod should be trolling
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bears_are_real
    Doesn't matter you will have to go blood in cata :P
    Unfortunately, had this news been 6 days ago I would have thought it was an April Fools joke because I honestly didn't think that Blizzard were this stupid, ignorant and blissfully unaware of the Death Knight pouplation's opinion.
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skullmaster
    Unfortunately, had this news been 6 days ago I would have thought it was an April Fools joke because I honestly didn't think that Blizzard were this stupid, ignorant and blissfully unaware of the Death Knight pouplation's opinion.
    You say this now, but maybe when they do make the change, you'll love it. It sounds horribly wrong at the moment, and i don't like the way blood is played, but by then we might just love it. We'll see
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer
    All trees can be used for tanking.
    If that's your opinion I'm fine with that, but the way you wrote it you're trolling. I don't think a mod should be trolling
    Unholy has been far behind frost and blood all expansion. Anyone tanking as unholy now is being clearly substandard.

But still, start with DND, get your diseases up and pestilence. Blood tap then blood boil. tab through all target to spread out your rune strikes, using blood boil for every blood rune and scourge strike for others, except when your diseases or DND need refreshing.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Abb
    Unholy has been far behind frost and blood all expansion.
    I've been tanking like this since the release and never had a problem
    I hold (now held sorta) my aggro and have enough survivability. Yes blood and frost are better, but i like unholy, and it works good enough (for me).

Edit: anyway, i dont think anyone is having problems with it.
    Thanks for your time all
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Not gonna lie for a long time unholy was king tank, when SS did pure shadow dmg and bone shield had 6 charges. I currently am dual spec frost dw and blood tank

That said, I do know of some UH tanks who held strong to thei belief that bliZz would bring them back into awesome, and they have been havng lots of trouble recently as well.

I believe this is because they increased the physical dmg portion of SS while decreasing the shadow, which didn't matter at all realy for dps dks, Arpen is the #2 stat anyway. But it was a nice buff to pvp with zero diseases on target.

Whatthis means for the UH Tanks out there is that scourge strike hits like a wet cat (less arpen = smaller scourge strikes = smaller shadow and physical dmg = less threat)

pretty sure that is why you're having threat issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Can I give you +1k internetz, Chokaa?

It appears you haven't picked up on it so I'll be blunt...
    No one has chimed in saying that they are also having problems because no one tanks as Unholy because Unholy is The worst tank spec and if you cared to be the best tank you can be you'd respec.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Skullmaster
    Not sure where you're getting your facts from. You are probably unaware yourself. For instance, check out this thread's poll.
    Which tree should be the tank tree

I hold (now held sorta) my aggro and have enough survivability. Yes blood and frost are better, but i like unholy, and it works good enough (for me).

Thanks for your time all
    I don't understand your situation. You come to a WoW forum, complain about not doing enough threat in AoE situations... telling us you are using the worst tanking spec available - asking for help to BE a better tank, without changing the fundamental reason why your tanking aggro sucks.

If you want to AoE tank, go frost. If you want to single target tank, go Blood. If you want to be Unholy, dps.

You say you've always tanked as Unholy, since Wrath release, so I know for a fact you haven't MT'd for a current progression guild. You've probably only done heroics and previous tier raiding when healer's and dps make the encounters so much easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dyce09
    You've probably only done heroics and previous tier raiding when healer's and dps make the encounters so much easier for you.
    Who says you need healers or dps when doing those, solo is the way to go, and unholy rocks for that. I've done some heroics as unholy and threat isn't bad, but I have way more threat as blood for sure.

Thanks for your time all
    Because nobody tanks as Unholy anymore. If you want to be Unholy, then go DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zworde
    Who says you need healers or dps when doing those, solo is the way to go, and unholy rocks for that. I've done some heroics as unholy and threat isn't bad, but I have way more threat as blood for sure.
    You solo ToC 10 and 25 as Unholy? Awesome, can you provide a screenshot please or a youtube video, I want to do that too.

And yes, like I said, if you're unholy tanking, you are obviously NOT main tanking in a 'progression' guild. (ie, doing 12/12 ICC both 10 and 25 and into Heroic verions) So yeah, you keep doing your heroic 5mans as unholy and argue it's a viable tanking spec.