Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Why is everyone so sure Blizzard would not do another Cataclysm?

    To start, this is not directed at any specific leak but a general concept. I have noticed that a vast majority of the forums seem convinced that Blizzard would never do another cataclysm on the grounds of "There was a lack of end game last time because of how much time was spent on leveling zones!"

    With the new world scaling tech doesn't this kinda defeat that statement? They could redo all the zones and make them all scale from 1-1XX, thus making the old world content current world content for leveling pre-existing "max" level characters. No new zones needed as all the old zones would be "new" zones. World quests would provide good end game content and with how large Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms are there would be tons of room for adding World Quests over time not to mention it would be a good test for expanding scaling tech to completely revamped vanilla dungeons for 15(10)-1XX when queued in the dungeon finder, no scaling for manually entering then of course Heroic, Mythic, and Mythic+ for 1XX.

    Back in they had a massive lack of "end game" content because, you are right, they spent a lot of time on low level stuff that had no value to max levels. Now they can make everything designed for lower levels actually be designed for any level from minimum to maximum! There is nothing stopping the zone reworks from being new current content. In fact, factoring in revamped vanilla dungeons and scaled leveling with the possibility of World Quests I feel like there would be more content than a traditional expansion before raids and that's not even taking into account the possibilities of new zones on top of that.

    The only two real logical reasons I could see people arguing against another Cataclysm with Blizzard's modern tech is that they just don't want to lose old world content as the newer stuff would overwrite it, much like how upset people were when the original quests were lost and a lot of Tansmog and other vanilla items with them. The second reason being the idea of "I won't feel like my character is growing in power if everything scales" which has already "somewhat" been proven false in legion alone as we out scaled content with iLvL so quick they had to start scaling them slightly off of our iLvL. Thats not even taking into account say a lvl 10 in a zone with a limited skill set vs a lvl 110 in the same zone with pretty much their whole arsenal of abilities(I know I have a little bit of bias showing, I just don't understand why one shotting gray creatures 50 levels lower than you that have no value is important :S)

    From a content and tech standpoint, how is there even an argument that there could be a content drought for end game with the new tech Blizz could utilize now compared to back in the day? From a nostalgia/fear of losing old rewards and power fantasy standpoint I can kinda get it but even then the claims of a lack of content revamping the old world now in days seems pretty far fetched.

    Legion has done a very good job showing that level scaling content works, and legion has been by far one of the most content packed expansions to date! (I know the latter is subjective to opinion, but again I find it hard to see the viewpoint of there being a lack of content in Legion. Again, Personal Bias I guess)

  2. #2
    I don't think its a logical standpoint those people are coming from, but more of a personal want/desire standpoint. They want those resources to be put to dungeons and endgame content, stuff they will spend the majority of their time on when they hit the new level cap in the next expansion. Which is understandable.

    Personally, I think its entirely likely that at some point the 1-60 experience will get another revamp, especially if it makes sense within the context of the new expansion (see Cataclysm). The big question is if TBC or Wrath leveling content will ever get updated, or if they'd simply get scaling tech added to them to allow people to level through them in whatever fashion they wanted to.

    If they do revamp Azeroth again, I hope they go big. I'm not afraid of drastic alterations being made to the world.

  3. #3
    I would love to see another Cata, There isn't much to preserve anymore. People were upset that it was getting rid of vanilla and the memories, but now, They can go huge. Do some really great changes. I personally hope for it.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Schattenlied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wasington State
    Posts
    3,161
    I honestly want them to, just because the first one fucked up the 1-60 experience so much, and another is the only way it will get fixed.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

  5. #5
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Metachronopolis
    Posts
    22,421
    Why people would say this is because in the past Blizzard has been very upfront about how much they took on with the world revamp, how it negatively affected the Cataclysm expansion, and that they would much rather concentrate on new content.

    That said, their neglect of the old world is shameful and disrespectful of what Blizzard has built there over the years so if they rethought that I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

    I think it's perfectly feasible to build an expansion with new zones and then to spread the expansion over the entire known world. That would be a good thing.

    I more doubt whether or not they will redo the leveling experience but anything is possible.

    More generally about the scaling tech, I think it's fine mostly but can be overused and personally if I need to run out into Elwynn Forest to get some peacebloom for some reason I don't want every encounter with a bear to be a fight to the death. That's not fun and mostly just annoying.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; Yesterday at 02:42 AM.
    I'm just happy to hear there's a special place in hell.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Byucknah The Red View Post
    To start, this is not directed at any specific leak but a general concept. I have noticed that a vast majority of the forums seem convinced that Blizzard would never do another cataclysm on the grounds of "There was a lack of end game last time because of how much time was spent on leveling zones!"

    With the new world scaling tech doesn't this kinda defeat that statement? They could redo all the zones and make them all scale from 1-1XX, thus making the old world content current world content for leveling pre-existing "max" level characters. No new zones needed as all the old zones would be "new" zones. World quests would provide good end game content and with how large Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms are there would be tons of room for adding World Quests over time not to mention it would be a good test for expanding scaling tech to completely revamped vanilla dungeons for 15(10)-1XX when queued in the dungeon finder, no scaling for manually entering then of course Heroic, Mythic, and Mythic+ for 1XX.

    Back in they had a massive lack of "end game" content because, you are right, they spent a lot of time on low level stuff that had no value to max levels. Now they can make everything designed for lower levels actually be designed for any level from minimum to maximum! There is nothing stopping the zone reworks from being new current content. In fact, factoring in revamped vanilla dungeons and scaled leveling with the possibility of World Quests I feel like there would be more content than a traditional expansion before raids and that's not even taking into account the possibilities of new zones on top of that.

    The only two real logical reasons I could see people arguing against another Cataclysm with Blizzard's modern tech is that they just don't want to lose old world content as the newer stuff would overwrite it, much like how upset people were when the original quests were lost and a lot of Tansmog and other vanilla items with them. The second reason being the idea of "I won't feel like my character is growing in power if everything scales" which has already "somewhat" been proven false in legion alone as we out scaled content with iLvL so quick they had to start scaling them slightly off of our iLvL. Thats not even taking into account say a lvl 10 in a zone with a limited skill set vs a lvl 110 in the same zone with pretty much their whole arsenal of abilities(I know I have a little bit of bias showing, I just don't understand why one shotting gray creatures 50 levels lower than you that have no value is important :S)

    From a content and tech standpoint, how is there even an argument that there could be a content drought for end game with the new tech Blizz could utilize now compared to back in the day? From a nostalgia/fear of losing old rewards and power fantasy standpoint I can kinda get it but even then the claims of a lack of content revamping the old world now in days seems pretty far fetched.

    Legion has done a very good job showing that level scaling content works, and legion has been by far one of the most content packed expansions to date! (I know the latter is subjective to opinion, but again I find it hard to see the viewpoint of there being a lack of content in Legion. Again, Personal Bias I guess)
    Because Blizzard themselves expressed that while the update worked and felt like something that needed to be done, in execution it consumed a lot of resources for the expansion.

    No, new scaling doesn't change that statement, because leveling zones are not end game. I also really don't imagine people want to have to fly up and down the entirety of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms to get to the WQ they want to do, most players prefer new zones over revamped old ones (as seen in Cata) and it forces the devs to redesign westfall again instead of making something new, interesting and unique.

    I also find the whole concept of unified scaling to be silly in the extreme. I really don't want to suddenly be facing a real fight from the wolf pups in Elwynn forest and small crabs wandering the shores of Durotar, that level 5 characters are two shotting. I think the scaling concept works so-so even across a 4 zone 10 level gap. I think across a 120 levels and 60 zones. Not to mention the very serious PvP implications of encouraging level 105s to be questing in the same zones that level 30s are trying to quest in, an even more inflated potential for some of the wackiness that happens in scaled 100-110 dungeons.

    Rather than "Why is everyone so sure they won't do it?" the better question is "Who are these people who want to quest through slightly modified versions of the same zones a THIRD time?"

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think it's perfectly feasible to build an expansion with new zones and then to spread the expansion over the entire known world. That would be a good thing.
    I completely disagree. This was one of the major things wrong with Cataclysm. The zones felt completely disconnected, and the nature of them being way off in the middle of nowhere, particularly for Uldum, felt (to me) like id pretty much discouraged even going out to the zones unless you absolutely had to. It was better with Hyjal/Deepholme/Twilight because of portals, but even then the whole thing was just a big pain in the ass and it's not like putting the zones there somehow revitalized the continents. People just went to the zone and back to town.
    Last edited by Hitei; Yesterday at 02:44 AM.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    4,894
    I actually think it's something they could do (ideally in reverse, an expansion about rebuilding and restoring the world), but it might be difficult to sell it as an expansion. If they ever decide to change the content distribution/subscription model, even in a short-term experimental way, I think it could be a good way to reinvigorate the lower level content and make the game as a whole more evergreen.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I actually think it's something they could do (ideally in reverse, an expansion about rebuilding and restoring the world), but it might be difficult to sell it as an expansion. If they ever decide to change the content distribution/subscription model, even in a short-term experimental way, I think it could be a good way to reinvigorate the lower level content and make the game as a whole more evergreen.
    Reinvigorate it for who? The New players who are actively spending a lot of time in the leveling zones, and don't need to be reinvigorated?
    Or the veterans who will do those zones once or twice and be done with them, right back where they were before a hypothetical revamp?

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Rudkobing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    3,316
    Why is everyone so sure Blizzard would not do another Cataclysm?
    Its because it was horrible mistake. Destroying places that shouldn't been destroyed. Level scaling has its pluses and minuses, and I just don't think its worth it.
    Love always wins.

  10. #10
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Metachronopolis
    Posts
    22,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    I completely disagree. This was one of the major things wrong with Cataclysm. The zones felt completely disconnected, and the nature of them being way off in the middle of nowhere, particularly for Uldum, felt (to me) like id pretty much discouraged even going out to the zones unless you absolutely had to. It was better with Hyjal/Deepholme/Twilight because of portals, but even then the whole thing was just a big pain in the ass and it's not like putting the zones there somehow revitalized the continents. People just went to the zone and back to town.
    You didn't get what I said so I didn't explain it well enough. The expansion would open with the traditional new zones for leveling and as the story/expansion progresses the game would send you back to other places in the world to further the story. I wasn't thinking anything like the Cataclysm leveling zones. They poked at that a bit this expansion but it could easily be pushed further. I'm not a big fan of spending two years in a few new zones and a few knock-off patch zones.
    I'm just happy to hear there's a special place in hell.

  11. #11
    remaking the game is not compatible with preserving it, unless they find a way for us to access all the old zones like they seem to do recently

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
    I don't think its a logical standpoint those people are coming from, but more of a personal want/desire standpoint. They want those resources to be put to dungeons and endgame content, stuff they will spend the majority of their time on when they hit the new level cap in the next expansion. Which is understandable.

    Personally, I think its entirely likely that at some point the 1-60 experience will get another revamp, especially if it makes sense within the context of the new expansion (see Cataclysm). The big question is if TBC or Wrath leveling content will ever get updated, or if they'd simply get scaling tech added to them to allow people to level through them in whatever fashion they wanted to.

    If they do revamp Azeroth again, I hope they go big. I'm not afraid of drastic alterations being made to the world.
    Thats fair, I can understand a fear of loss for the old from some and 100% agree I would want them to go BIG! Massive changes would be awesome, really make it feel cataclysmic this time around. Maybe even break Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor into smaller continents.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I honestly want them to, just because the first one fucked up the 1-60 experience so much, and another is the only way it will get fixed.
    Eh, I thought that they did a good job compared to what was there originally and with what they had to work with at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Why people would say this is because in the past Blizzard has been very upfront about how much they took on with the world revamp, how it negatively affected the Cataclysm expansion, and that they would much rather concentrate on new content.

    That said, their neglect of the old world is shameful and disrespectful of what Blizzard has built there over the years so if they rethought that I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

    I think it's perfectly feasible to build an expansion with new zones and then to spread the expansion over the entire known world. That would be a good thing.

    I more doubt whether or not they will redo the leveling experience but anything is possible.

    More generally about the scaling tech, I think it's fine mostly but can be overused and personally if I need to run out into Elwynn Forest to get some peacebloom for some reason I don't want every encounter with a bear to be a fight to the death. That's not fun and mostly just annoying.
    I mean, yeah, true, they did say that a lot in the past but its been a long time and the team and tech have changed a lot over the years.

    I could see what you suggested as well, build and expansion then expand to old zones, thus updating them over time. If it was possible with the Barrens during the siege then its possible for future expacs without putting the whole focus on revamping the old.

    At least its agreeable that the state of the old content is pretty saddening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because Blizzard themselves expressed that while the update worked and felt like something that needed to be done, in execution it consumed a lot of resources for the expansion.

    No, new scaling doesn't change that statement, because leveling zones are not end game. I also really don't imagine people want to have to fly up and down the entirety of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms to get to the WQ they want to do, most players prefer new zones over revamped old ones (as seen in Cata) and it forces the devs to redesign westfall again instead of making something new, interesting and unique.

    I also find the whole concept of unified scaling to be silly in the extreme. I really don't want to suddenly be facing a real fight from the wolf pups in Elwynn forest and small crabs wandering the shores of Durotar, that level 5 characters are two shotting. I think the scaling concept works so-so even across a 4 zone 10 level gap. I think across a 120 levels and 60 zones. Not to mention the very serious PvP implications of encouraging level 105s to be questing in the same zones that level 30s are trying to quest in, an even more inflated potential for some of the wackiness that happens in scaled 100-110 dungeons.

    Rather than "Why is everyone so sure they won't do it?" the better question is "Who are these people who want to quest through slightly modified versions of the same zones a THIRD time?"
    Yeah, I remember them saying that about 6 or so years ago but a lot has changed. The team has grown, the tech has evolved, ect.

    I don't agree with that. The Leveling zones of Legion were end game zones as well with sections that were max level only. I can however see the discontent of flying up and down zones like that but I assume there would be portals to multiple key points through out Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms or some way to fast travel. Also just because something is re-made does not mean its not interesting, it shows the world evolving and changing, it shows a living world and not something static where people still believe death wing is coming to kill everyone.

    Again, this goes back to the idea of what your skill layout is at 110 vs a level 10. You have MANY more abilities and much better gear/iLvL than that low level. If Legion is any example it makes a massive difference as something that was a "challenge" to that level 10(100) is easier to you a geared 110. Also PvP zones have always been like that, ever since vanilla. That's the negative of being on a PvP realm. The same argument was made for legion on "What about max level players in our leveling zones?". Ganking will happen regardless of the fact. And what does the inflated potential even matter in leveling content? Who strokes their epeen in leveling dungeons?

    Because it shows an evolving and living world with updated stories. Zones can drastically change, Thousand Needles, Barrens, Silverpine, Azshara Crater, Tanaris, Wetlands, ect are amazing examples of this fact. They are NOTHING like what they were in vanilla and were completely new experiences and many of the zones drastically changed visually and story line based. They are familiar but not the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Reinvigorate it for who? The New players who are actively spending a lot of time in the leveling zones, and don't need to be reinvigorated?
    Or the veterans who will do those zones once or twice and be done with them, right back where they were before a hypothetical revamp?
    You mean the new players who start the game, get to a city and go "Hey, whats the best way to level in this game?" then get told "Brah, hit 15 then chain spam dungeon finder!

    There are a small handful of players who actually level mostly through quests vs mostly through dungeons. If the world is revamped with the idea of having value to max level players then the second issue does not exist nearly as much and is just as much speculation as my statement is.
    Last edited by Byucknah The Red; Yesterday at 03:03 AM.

  13. #13
    I hope Azeroth explodes. But right before it explodes, we all move to Argus (or some other random planet) and basically have to terraform it to be livable. So we would literally have to gather resources to build up new cities.

  14. #14
    I would personally really love another revamp of the world.
    Don't know if Blizzard would risk that again, tho.

  15. #15
    The Patient Evaddon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Shadowlands
    Posts
    263
    I never understood why or where people got that mindset from either.
    Its frankly needed every couple of years I'd say (...like now....). People fear it because of how the content at Cataclysms endgame was (which in reality, it wasn't that bad as people make it out to be. But cataclysm wasn't great because alot of work went into Old Zones instead of new things, more cotent)

    It has multiple uses that if Blizzard choose to, they could easily do it;

    1)Updating the old World
    Blizzard has learned ALOT of new techniques and methods when creating the land we play on, geographically and scenically since Cataclysm (7 years ago) you can notice the very change in quality if you move to Mist of Pandaria content, to Warlords content to Legion. The landscapes are beautiful, vibrant, and realistic not just flat surfaces expanding outwards. Even the tree's and grass have higher quality then the older grass.... This needs to happen onto older content because this is what newer players see, not what us ole' time folk enjoy all at the leveling to new cap/end game content. They see old, dated landscapes, from 7 years ago. That's not good enough to entice a newbie to keep going. But something looking like Azsuna? Stormheim...? Man I know I'd personally would love that if I was new to the game...what we have right now...not so much.

    1A)
    In doing this Blizzard could set up Old World areas to be used more actively in Endgame rather then fully fledged out 5 or 6 new areas when they have plenty foundations already laid that they could build upon for both higher end players/ and leveling players and this especially can be fulfilled more with phasing out the two, they've been getting better with their phasing techniques so I could see the easily as doable. I mean throughout Legion they've been sending us out to old areas anyway so? And with this they can easily expand on what they want to do and how they want to do it. After all Blizzard has created a whole World...why not make use of what's there by updating and evolving it?

    2)Expanding Stories, What happens next?
    To me there's always some zones that don't seem to end or events that take place should have an effect on the area but they don't. So why not? Why not update a zone on what previously happened their and continue the story, expand on it, or start a whole new conflict in these new updated zones to tell a new story or add to the over arcing story taking place in said Expansion?

    3)Evolution
    I would love to see what's going on in Zones the players have abandoned, people the story, the NPC's they haven't. What have they been doing? What's going on in Northrend? Are the spirits of Azsuna ever going to be set free? Updating old zones/established zones can make the World feel more alive and in return make some players care about it more.

    Like I said before foundations are their for them to build upon now, it would take less resources and less time because the base grounds are already built and set building upon it and it expanding it can give them more time for more stories, more features, more raids and other forms of content I think, areas just get abandoned after the Expansions they're set in, but now in WoW's life they have a World they could use to tell future stories, they have places they can use and change and update with the passing times and passing threats.

    But even without the possibilities of what they COULD do with an Old World revamp (didn't list all my thoughts on the subject). I still think a good deal could be gained and improved upon just by an Old World Revamp period, it helped the leveling process dramatically from me 1-60, they could do even more and start actively teaching players about endgame content/mechanics early as an actual tutorial for the game
    Last edited by Evaddon; Yesterday at 03:22 AM.

  16. #16
    I'm not so sure, I'd actually love a revamp but mostly just to scaling and story continuation. Cata actually made the old World's Questing so much better than the original Vanilla. One of my main loves of Cata.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Byucknah The Red View Post
    Yeah, I remember them saying that about 6 or so years ago but a lot has changed. The team has grown, the tech has evolved, ect.

    I don't agree with that. The Leveling zones of Legion were end game zones as well with sections that were max level only. I can however see the discontent of flying up and down zones like that but I assume there would be portals to multiple key points through out Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms or some way to fast travel. Also just because something is re-made does not mean its not interesting, it shows the world evolving and changing, it shows a living world and not something static where people still believe death wing is coming to kill everyone.

    Again, this goes back to the idea of what your skill layout is at 110 vs a level 10. You have MANY more abilities and much better gear/iLvL than that low level. If Legion is any example it makes a massive difference as something that was a "challenge" to that level 10(100) is easier to you a geared 110. Also PvP zones have always been like that, ever since vanilla. That's the negative of being on a PvP realm. The same argument was made for legion on "What about max level players in our leveling zones?". Ganking will happen regardless of the fact. And what does the inflated potential even matter in leveling content? Who strokes their epeen in leveling dungeons?

    Because it shows an evolving and living world with updated stories. Zones can drastically change, Thousand Needles, Barrens, Silverpine, Azshara Crater, Tanaris, Wetlands, ect are amazing examples of this fact. They are NOTHING like what they were in vanilla and were completely new experiences and many of the zones drastically changed visually and story line based. They are familiar but not the same.



    You mean the new players who start the game, get to a city and go "Hey, whats the best way to level in this game?" then get told "Brah, hit 15 then chain spam dungeon finder!

    There are a small handful of players who actually level mostly through quests vs mostly through dungeons. If the world is revamped with the idea of having value to max level players then the second issue does not exist nearly as much and is just as much speculation as my statement is.
    The leveling zones were not end game zones. If you do a good 50/75%+ of a zone while you are leveling, then it is not an end game zone. Nagrand isn't an end game zone because it has the Elemental Plateau, and Terokkar isn't end game because Skettis exists. No, just because something is remade doesn't mean it isn't interesting, but it's also fundamentally the same thing. I really don't need to see Westfall, but instead of a tornado now it has a kraken attacking it! It's still Westfall, the zone I have been to hundreds of times and quested through dozens of times.

    It doesn't matter if you have a hundred spells at 110. A level 5 in BoA will kill most mobs within 3 levels in two spell casts, and would need to pull dozens of mobs to actually stand any chance of dying. A level 107 fighting a 108 mob is going to take longer to kill things and take significantly more damage. Your ilevel is lower than the relative ilevel of a sub 20 character in BoA. It is nonsense that there would be zones where a level 20 priest is just casting SW:P once on each mob and tanking 15 things, and a level 106 priest is pulling two of the same mob at a time with both dots and mindflay casts to try and kill them.

    No. PvP zones have NEVER been like that. There has never been a PvP zone where someone above level 100 is just as encouraged to be in a zone as someone level 30, and just as rewarded by spending an hour or two questing there. Max level characters can come in and gank someone and then get bored and leave. What you are describing is a world where you enter Ashenvale at 20, and there are 15 enemy players who are level 85+ actively questing who are not going to just kill a couple people and then leave to go do something more rewarding, because they are actively leveling. Legion is a spread of maximum 10 levels. You are describing a spread of ~100 levels. There is a very obvious difference between a level 107 running into a 101, and a level 98 running into a level 25.

    Zones have yet to drastically change. 1k needles just has water in it, you fight very similar enemies for similar quest givers. "Kill Arnak Grimtotem because he's kidnapped and murdered people" and "Kill Arnak Grimtotem because he's leading the Grimtotem who are murdering people". Wow, NOTHING like Vanilla, so new and refreshing. What a great idea revamping zones is, I can't wait till I "Kill Arnak Grimtotem because he's murdering people as sacrifices to the void" in a thousand needles that now has water AND tentacles under the water, man will that be a wild ride.

    Oh, and some quests in Tanaris where I kill scorpions and Gadgetzan is slightly bigger, and those same trolls that I've been killing there for 12 years now do shadow magic? The hype is real.

  18. #18
    Why is everyone so sure Blizzard would not do another Cataclysm?
    I haven't yet met anyone who would be remotely sure that Blizzard would not do another Cataclysm.
    They have already done worse.

    /thread
    #ShitlordsOfBorenorUnsubClub
    GW2, SWTOR, Cabal 2; there's always a choice.

  19. #19
    There does seem to be resistance to the idea.

    1. There's still a huge number of folks that prefer and would actually play Vanilla servers. Which is insane to me, but it's undeniable.
    2. It's a deep investment. One that could pay off, but clearly not as much as hoped. With Blizz offering boosts to skip the old content nowadays, it's even less relevant.
    3. While most enjoyed it, it was tied together with Cataclysm, an expansion that left many with a bad taste.
    4. It wasn't managed well. Some zones remained untouched, others completely redone. They were relevant only to levelers, with few incentives to check out the changes at max level.

    This left people without a clean and positive association with the old revamp. Even if it would be time for a new one. I'd love to see Blizzard do so again, but it has many obstacles to overcome:

    1. Level flow is a mess. Even without heirlooms, it's time to move on to the next zone, before you finish your current one, if you want to maximize XP gain.
    2. It needs to fit the expansion. This requires an expansion with an underlying theme that wouldn't get to annoying to still see around, long after the expansion's end.
    3. Many of the zones have not aged well. While the art assets may still have been acceptable in Cataclysm, many would not pass Blizzard's current standards.

    All these problems have solutions, but costly ones.

    A. Dynamic leveling that lets you level up wherever you please, would be required to help with leveling flow. So that you are not handicapping yourself by playing through an entire zone. It would also give players the chance to stay on Azeroth and explore more of the new content, rather than outleveling it, and having to move to Outland.
    B. World Quests and events. A way to engage max level players in the new content, so they have some benefit, even when not leveling. As continents are huge, the best way would be to have 3-4 zones per continent offer world quests that day. Daily "Hot Spots" if you will, rather then requiring players to traverse the whole continent.
    C. The old content needs to remain available. Like, through a Bronze Dragon you can speak to or something. Because else we'll just unleash a new group of players that demands "Cata Legacy Servers".
    D. Art assets need to be redone. Blizzard has improved the quality of their game tremendously over the years. So much so that it makes sense for them to neglect the old zones. For example, there's plenty of folks that want flying enabled in Silvermoon. But that's a lot of work now, for a city looks rubbish when compared to the likes of Suramar. Renewing the world will take more than just new Gnoll models, if it's to look good. That's a big problem...
    E. One thing that Cata did right is that the world remake made sense, and the new questlines generally fit the theme of the new stuff, while not being a bother in theme to play through again. Cata's theme lent itself to that. Had the remake been Wrath of WoD-themed and we'd still be dealing with undead or invading orcs all over Azeroth, it would have long been exhausting. So a world remake requires an expansion with a theme that shakes up the world once more to get things moving.

    I'd still love to see it. And with how fast Blizzard has gotten in making content, perhaps it's worth it. Time will have to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Someone at BioWare said it best a couple of years ago:
    "You could give the player a [Magic Hat] that would give them the exact gaming experience they ever wanted, and they would still complain about the colour of the hat."

  20. #20
    Elemental Lord Arafal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    At the edge of reality
    Posts
    8,851
    well, at some point they have to.

    Main:Holy Priest / Legendaries:4 / Current Item lvl:912 / ToS-AotC:Not Achieved

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •