1. #1
    Pandaren Monk Iconja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,837

    Do you miss neutral faction rivalries?

    Remember when you had to make a choice when grinding rep?

    Choosing between one of two rival factions, like the Aldor and the Scryers, or the Bloodsail Buccaneers and the Steamwheedle Cartel?

    Nowadays every neutral faction exists to aid us, they never have any conflict of interests, clashing agendas or different approaches to handling problems, causing tension.

    I suppose these have gone the same way as Horde vs Alliance rivalries that is to say down the drain, and don't get me wrong I don't mind that because it makes sense to not bicker when cosmic monstrosities want to devour the world.

    Still though, do you miss when choices had consequences? You align yourself with these guys, their rivals will attack you on sight, you won't have access to their vendors, you and your friends will be on different sides etc.

    I feel like it's easier to have neutral faction tension because Horde and Alliance players won't complain that their faction got screwed over and steamrolled, after some sort of war patch event, where the result shapes what comes next.

    If the Argent Crusade goes to war against the Ebon Blade for whatever reason and we as players have to throw our lot in with either, completing dailies and supplying materials to further each factions war effort, when one faction wins players wouldn't be as outraged if they lost because their characters wouldn't be part of the faction they supported if that makes any sense.

    I feel like it could make for some neat storytelling and development
    Last edited by Iconja; 2017-10-15 at 12:42 PM.
    ''The man who tells the tale is the one who decides history, he tells it wrong, and you have nothing more than a pretty story, he tells it right, and you have a legacy, you want a story told right, you ask someone who helped make it happen...''

  2. #2
    Old God Aeula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Tamriel 2E 583
    Posts
    10,171
    I’d definitely like to see joinable neutral factions return.

    We haven’t had one since Wrath.

  3. #3
    I grinded both of those Centaur races cause i needed the Loremaster achieve (before cata) and I did both oracles and those wolf people.

    I cant remember the last faction we had that did that?

  4. #4
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    16,420
    It's not really a rivalry when we all know the Aldor are superior to the Cryers.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It's not really a rivalry when we all know the Aldor are superior to the Cryers.
    I wonder if the Scryers and the Aldor have kissed and made up especially after everything that has happened since?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    I grinded both of those Centaur races cause i needed the Loremaster achieve (before cata) and I did both oracles and those wolf people.

    I cant remember the last faction we had that did that?
    Loremaster never required centaur rep.

    On topic: It's a pain in the ass for any completionist, grinding rep for one faction, pissing off the otehr, than having to grind double that amount again. Good riddance i say.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Loremaster never required centaur rep.
    .
    It did if you needed to find enough quests to do it! You had to switch sides to hit the number of quests if you wanted to hit the magical number of 3000 IIRC. I did it before cata when the world changed and it was way harder to get the loremaster achievement!

    The loremaster achieve wasnt about completing quests it was about finding enough quests to do it!!
    Last edited by madeupname666; 2017-10-15 at 12:28 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    It did if you needed to find enough quests to do it! You had to switch sides to hit the number of quests if you wanted to hit the magical number of 3000 IIRC. I did it before cata when the world changed and it was way harder to get the loremaster achievement!
    I did it twice before, and twice after cata. It was never required. You must have missed something. I know that quests were harder to find and to complete before we had mrkers for everything, but it was never a requirement, really.

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    I wonder if the Scryers and the Aldor have kissed and made up especially after everything that has happened since?
    They are unified since the Shattered Sun Offensive was formed back in 2.4. Just for gameplay reasons they still have seperate hubs in outland, cause the game rarely removes reputations.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I did it twice before, and twice after cata. It was never required. You must have missed something. I know that quests were harder to find and to complete before we had mrkers for everything, but it was never a requirement, really.
    I had to do both factions to find enough quests to finish the achievement even the secret ones i had to look up.

    You say you did it twice? Then you are way more masochistic then iam!

    We are talking about kalimdor right? I did it as horde if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by madeupname666; 2017-10-15 at 12:32 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    I had to do both factions to find enough quests to finish the achievement even the secret ones i had to look up.

    You say you did it twice? Then you are way more masochistic then iam!

    We are talking about kalimdor right? I did it as horde if that makes a difference.
    Yeah we're talking about desolace. I did it as alliance on characters that didn't have either of the reps, and it certainly didn't require both. There may be a difference to horde, obviously, but desolace is pretty much desolate and neutral anyway. And i remember it having a pretty low requirement (like 35(?) quests) and dungeon quests counted back then.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yeah we're talking about desolace. I did it as alliance on characters that didn't have either of the reps, and it certainly didn't require both. There may be a difference to horde, obviously, but desolace is pretty much desolate and neutral anyway. And i remember it having a pretty low requirement (like 35(?) quests) and dungeon quests counted back then.
    So doing it on both horde/ally factions went towards the achieve? I will admit i only did it on my horde toon and really struggled to find enough quests to do it but i did.

    Didnt the Allys have more quests to do back in the day? Like i said i only had 1 toon which was horde i never did alts till cata.
    Last edited by madeupname666; 2017-10-15 at 12:40 PM.

  13. #13
    A little. I didn't really take part in the BC one, but Wraith was...poorly implemented IMO. I had almost no reason to pick Wolvar (did it for achievement only) and every reason to pick Oracle (pets and mounts). And most people I knew at the time felt the same way...only most of them didn't care about the achievement. Oracles always felt like it had the far greater numbers on it just because of the egg. The only thing I think they did right with those two was the story. If I picked a side based on story, I would have had to sit and actually think for a while.

    If they do it again I'd like to see pets, toys and/or mounts on both sides. Make me actually have to sit and pick one. Have equal but different rewards. Which mount do I want more? Which side so I like better?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •