Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Shaman] levelling with heirloom

Hi mates,

I am going to make a Shaman class, which is going to be my new main. I like that the class gets removed from [Chain Heal] spam and more into a using all kind of healing spells, and they will have a much larger arsenal of healing spells (+3-4 added, which were what they needed). I waited for these changes before making a healing class (earlier Restoration Druid, but stopped playing and sold account after guild went down), and I feel Shamans' direction is awesome.
    I'm just wondering, what is the best levelling spec WITH heirlooms and how do they play etc.? Perhaps you have some guides, tips or anything?

EDIT: I've learned that it's possible to send heirloom items through factions, so changed without to with.

Re: [Shaman] levelling without heirloom

shamans suck till lvl 40 then go enhance, the grind to 40 is painfull though with or without heirlooms

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by spize16
    shamans suck till lvl 40 then go enhance, the grind to 40 is painfull though with or without heirlooms
    It can't be worth than what Druid's used to be. So Elemental 1-40 and then Enhancement? I actually thought it was the other way

any spec 1-40 sucks bad, but yea once u get to 40 enhance all the way, duel weild stormstrike lava lash Ooo sexy insta dead mob and it only gets better from there

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    It can't be worth than what Druid's used to be. So Elemental 1-40 and then Enhancement? I actually thought it was the other way
    Enhance is less painful than Ele from 1-40. Both specs are boring, but Ele has like.. no gear available. Enhance gear is easy to find with all the "of the tiger" crap, or the Deadmines ( OR WC if you're Horde) drops. finding SP gear is pretty difficult until you're roughly level 40ish.

15+ Year Old Account

Shaman leveling is easy, get a 2h, use rockbiter, then wf at 30. 40 you get dw and ss, it's cake.

One of the easiest leveling classes imo.

I've leveled a shammy recently and I must say that yea, 1-40 is just plain torture. Still I think Enh is a bit better than Ele because of lower mana dependency (shorter downtime).

It's easy but so boring it's mind numbing. :P

on my tauren sham i leveled without herilooms and shes 78 now, i mostly stuck with ench cuz i thought that it would be comfortable sicne im not used to casters (main is a rogue) and it was alright, the shock spells, totems and other essences of teh shaman class made it an overall good experince, tho i did hear that ele was very very good for leveling.

on my dranie sham i leveled with shoulders up to 70, which she is at now, all the way from birth as resto, mostly healing instances (thank god for lfg), and would try to hash together what dps abilities i did have (for the few quests i Did do) and duct tape it into an ele sorta thing, flameshocking, lightning bolting, frost shocking, etc, with flametongue on my wep for the spellpower increase instead of earthliving, and sometimes searing totem out to help with small mobs instead of the dps gain from flametongue, whcih is a boon and glory to instances--sheerly in the name of faster kills.

whatever you choose as a shaman, with or without herilooms, ur in for an interesting and satisfying experience walk the path of the spirits, and have a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

15+ Year Old Account

Please don't use letters for spells and abilities. It's kinda hard when you don't know the class' spells yet (except for Restoration OFC).

leveled my shammy 1-50 enchance then ele to 70 wotlk came -> 80 ele in resto gear ^^
    but i think leveling is far more diffrent now but still enchance leveling is ok 1-80 since u will need enchance gear once u hit 40 and 2h wf crits are awesome during 30-39
    enjoy shaman!
    Very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaliel
    Enhance is less painful than Ele from 1-40. Both specs are boring, but Ele has like.. no gear available. Enhance gear is easy to find with all the "of the tiger" crap, or the Deadmines ( OR WC if you're Horde) drops. finding SP gear is pretty difficult until you're roughly level 40ish.
    So true, even without blues there are far more tiger/monkey items in game than useful caster items. Spirit is completely useless for ele shamans and int/sta/spell power items are still pretty rare outside of dungeons. And while dungeons are good, leveling with quests is so much faster these days that it's not really worth finding a 5 man unless you are guaranteed a drop (Eg. Triprunners dungarees from gnomeregan quest).

Go enhance and suck it up to 40!

Leveling with heirlooms is SOOOOO much faster...
    the boost of having nicer gear will make the waiting for melee kind of leveling a bit less boring :P
    if you can wait till cata do it tho. gather all the heirlooms you can and wait till you get some strikes.
    get 2 maces and the 2 handed axe for pre level 40. if u got the time it will be worth it

Enhance is neat.
    Get a nice 2 hander, use rockbiter and shocks.
    Quest/Grind with your brain. Try to drop totems where you can pull multiple mobs to the totem, 1 at the time.
    You won't press many buttons though =/

Hi mates,

I am going to make a Shaman class, which is going to be my new main. I like that the class gets removed from [Chain Heal] spam and more into a using all kind of healing spells, and they now seem to have a much larger arsenal of healing spells (+3-4 added, which were what they needed). I waited for these changes before making a healing class (earlier Restoration Druid, but stopped playing and sold account after guild went down), and I feel Shamans' direction is awesome.
    I'm just wondering, what is the best levelling spec without heirlooms and how do they play etc.? Perhaps you have some guides, tips or anything?
    elemental shamans are nice from 1-80
    enhance shamans are still nice 1-40 use two hander 41-80 dualwielding
    resto... don't bother until your atleast 68 and in northrend

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers
    Leveling with heirlooms is SOOOOO much faster...
    the boost of having nicer gear will make the waiting for melee kind of leveling a bit less boring :P
    if you can wait till cata do it tho. gather all the heirlooms you can and wait till you get some strikes.
    get 2 maces and the 2 handed axe for pre level 40. if u got the time it will be worth it
    I know, but I'm not paying just to make my Horde toon Alliance and send heirloom items "Why not Horde then?" Because all Horde races of Shamans doesn't find my interest. I'm gonna send my money though through neutral AH (and 2 accounts).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shaliel
    It's easy but so boring it's mind numbing. :P
    I will give you that, however, every class is like that to an extent from 1-40. Melee especially.

Leveling in general is boring though. Even at level 79 you will Dual wield with windfury and flametongue, shock...and that's pretty much it because things will be dead.

It was hard as hell to actually type out spell names as the OP wants lol.

I'm gonna send my money though through neutral AH (and 2 accounts).
    Neutral AH takes alot of gold :\ try to put small prices

FFS do not use Rockbiter if Flametongue is availible. Flametongue weapon is demonstrably better DPS assuming what you are fighting is not a fire elemental. About the only case where this might not be true is if you just learned a new rank of Rockbiter and your Flametongue imbue is several levels old.

Example

Rockbiter 2 (level 8 ) vs Flametongue 1 (level 10)

Rockbiter 2 adds 4 dps.

Flametongue adds between 4 and 13 damage as well as 7 spellpower.

Now the fastest weapons in game are 1.3 speed, the slowest are 4.0 speed.

Then Rockbiter is 5.3-16.0 additional damage per swing compared to the 4-13 for Flametongue so it seems like Rockbiter is better, however Rockbiter is mitigated by armor whereas Flametongue is not. Flametongue also adds spellpower, Rockbiter does not.

For reference Rockbiter 3 at level 16 would be 5.2-24.0 additional damage, Flametongue 2 is 6.0-19.0 damage.

I know, but I'm not paying just to make my Horde toon Alliance and send heirloom items "Why not Horde then?" Because all Horde races of Shamans doesn't find my interest. I'm gonna send my money though through neutral AH (and 2 accounts).
    You can mail heirlooms to toons on your account but on the other faction BTW.

As a general piece of advice though I would say don't bother now, wait until the beta has come out and been cleaned up a little, you may find that the changes are not at all what you thought they would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

A few things:

1. As already stated, you can mail heirloom items cross faction.

2. Level Resto, and do random dungeons. You'll get near instant queues and be at level 40 in no time, then you can go DPS, or simply continue to level in randoms, doing some questing here and there to pass the time in between (some level gaps have longer queues than others).

3. Maybe wait until Cata to even bother leveling. I'm waiting until then to make any kind of new alt, since there will be so much new stuff to do while leveling.

4. Goblin!