Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SS glyph and Clipping it

First of all, Im survival, Im in no way at the bottom of the DPS meters but in the top 5 most of the time. I do not plan on changing to MM, I know how to play it but perfer Survival.

I have a really bad habit of refreshing SS at about 5-8 seconds left on the timer. Since SS glyph just adds seconds to that timer arnt i just negating the Glyph? Wouldnt it be better for me to replace it untill i get better at not clipping the Sting?

Re: SS glyph and Clipping it

If i remember correctly...
    as surv ...it as SS or steady shot glyphs...
    so if you like refreshing dots take steadyshot glyph ..
    that dps differences was so small that it didnt actually matter.
    Vote Pengu for president!
    "For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons."

10+ Year Old Account

yeh dude doesnt make any difference if u clip it with that much time left. Better u clip it now then let it wear off.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Actually it will make a considerable difference. By clipping it then it makes you have to apply it more throughout a fight thus wasting globals which could be used for a Steady Shot. I haven't Really played Survival Since early TOC but im 95% sure if you do the rotation correctly you will have to chance to reapply it as it falls off or the global afterwards.

Honestly Your gimping your dps doing this get addon to manage the dots, like Buttontimers or Shock and Awe and try to refrain from doing it. You glyph it to make the rotation smoother and it does give you a higher dps benefit than other glyphs

Quote Originally Posted by xxApelxx
    yeh dude doesnt make any difference if u clip it with that much time left. Better u clip it now then let it wear off.
    This is incorrect.

That is just oh-so-wrong. You are throwing away GCD's by clipping early, i.e., throwing away potential damage.

Shouldn't you not even use Serpent Sting glyph? I thought it was more for MM to get more damage from Chimera.

Quote Originally Posted by Vismund
    Shouldn't you not even use Serpent Sting glyph? I thought it was more for MM to get more damage from Chimera.
    Chimera refreshes Serpent Sting so why would you need to glyph it as MM?
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight
    Chimera refreshes Serpent Sting so why would you need to glyph it as MM?

Because Chimera Shot damage is calculated by total damage of your Serpent Sting, and +X Seconds from Glyphing it means +Damage on the Chimera Shot.

Quote Originally Posted by .cras

Because Chimera Shot damage is calculated by total damage of your Serpent Sting, and +X Seconds from Glyphing it means +Damage on the Chimera Shot.
    No. Chimera-Serpent is calculated based on your total projected serp sting damage. Not your base Chimera Shot.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skybluesky
    No. Chimera-Serpent is calculated based on your total projected serp sting damage. Not your base Chimera Shot.
    That's what he said... the longer the SS dot, the more damage. The more damage the sting does the harder the SS half of Chimera will hit for.

imo best sv glyphs are kill shot, srs, and ss. serpent allows you to use less gcds on stinging which means more steadies and less hesitation to use your instants

explosive might beat srs but with enough crit it's pretty devalued.

just as a note, the tooltip on serpent sting doesn't change its value with the glyph, but it does in fact add two extra tics of damage which = more on chim-serp as others stated

Ok thanks guys but completlly missed the point of my question. SINCE IM CLIPPING, should i swap out SS glyph for another untill i get better at not clipping? I have a timer sitting right under my shot bar for it, its just a bad habit that i have and im working on it.

Allrighty thanks. Though i just replaced ES glyph with SS. I went and hit the Spreadsheet and tried Aimedshot Glyph in SS place, and its a 1.9 dps loss. So i guess that would be better but i dont know how much thats gona change the priority rotation for survival.

I know the rotation lol. And i hit the spreadsheet before i replaced the ES glyph and SS glyph was a 21 dps upgrade. The thing i was worried about is im so used to aimed being a 10 second CD i dunno if putting the glyph in would throw my mojo off.

You might want to look into a mod called Inline Auras. It places a timer on the button so that you can see how long it has left. I too had the same issue as you but using IA I goto hit it and see it still had 3 seconds left so I hit steady instead then hit it.

Its not a problem of seeing how long i have left on serpent. I use Karthus Hunter Timers for this. But its a bad habit of me hitting it before i should.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781
    That is just oh-so-wrong. You are throwing away GCD's by clipping early, i.e., throwing away potential damage.
    Yeh but a single global CD over the dmg reduction of a) not having SS up, and b) not having the % increase from it is worse then clipping it. Not sure about u but I can out dps most hunters with similar gear who are surv with this method. Dont like to keep the rotation so tight as so I hav to time everything so carefully. Sure it could improve my dps slightly. But the difference is so small. Its almost unnoticable.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Yeh but a single global CD over the dmg reduction of a) not having SS up, and b) not having the % increase from it is worse then clipping it. Not sure about u but I can out dps most hunters with similar gear who are surv with this method. Dont like to keep the rotation so tight as so I hav to time everything so carefully. Sure it could improve my dps slightly. But the difference is so small. Its almost unnoticable.
    When you're competing for a raid spot, every bit of DPS is noticeable.
    When you're trying to do the best you can, every bit of DPS is noticeable.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=18/nocombat/target Serpent Sting,null

This macro will stop you clipping and reapplying serpent stings early on a boss mob - it effectivly adds a cooldown to Serpent Sting.
    Wreckér
    BM Hunter Guide at Warcraft Academy