What do you think about Focus and Ammo changes?

Im sure there's been plenty of these topics going around but oh well.
    It's probably too early to tell, but I dont really like Focus so far.
    I mean, we'll basically be using 2 shots, spam Steady, use another shot, spam Steady, use another.
    Disengage and other skills costing Focus is stupid. Need that button for 'oh sh*t' moments, we can't wait for focus to regen before we disengage >.>

I dont really know why theyre changing to Focus.
    In WOTLK mana has not been an issue for me at all.
    The ONLY time ill ever go oom is in a 10 man and very very occasionally in a 25m.
    But, drinking a mana potion, using aspect of the viper, and viper sting if the target has mana, will get you to 100% pretty quickly.

I think it would be better to make better ways of hunters regaining mana without a dps lost and having them go oom less than changing to Focus entirely.

We're basically Bow Rogues now.

As for arrows I think it wouldve been a better idea to keep an ammo slot, but no be consumable. Have it function as a dks sigil or paladins libram etc

Re: What do you think about Focus?

i love mana and i think focus is dumb ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt
    indeed

Re: What do you think about Focus and Ammo changes?

because autoshot is weak and it will be our main attack
    my main attacks are arcane, aimed and chimaera so focus is lame

wut? O.o bow rogues sounds really cool imo :>

The way I see it, a hunter shouldn't use mana anyway. Just think of all your different abilities as differently tipped arrows. You guys get to be just like effing Green Arrow now! I say Focus is better because it makes more sense.
    "If only life were as easy as you, I would still get screwed."- The Bloodhound Gang

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt
    I love focus and think mana is dumb :P To be more specific the current mana management tools feel really awkward and is clunky in general. Focus on the other hand has a shot at making things more interesting and managing that resource doesnt appear to be as boring.

I also dont see why auto shot would be our main. I had the impression that steady shot or the new BM version of that would be the base tool to speed up focus regen. If you meant steady shot I'm sure they'll make it worthwhile using if they intend a spec to be using it a lot (judging the skills from what dmg they do now is kinda pointless)

Ammo change, I don't really mind either way. Ammo has never been an issue when it comes to buying or bagspace to me, but I won't complain about it going away for sure.

Focus... it's impossible to say right now. I LIKE having our resource no longer mana, mana never really made much sense anyhow, but there's so little information for how - in my opinion the most important aspect of focus - focus regen is going to work exactly. There's little to no data about talents that effect it, how much mastery will effect it, how much haste will effect it... it's hard to say right now. Need to beta it to find out.

I am not one to judge too much, before I see it in gameplay. But the changes makes me feel like I've been turned into a Ranged Rogue with a Pet. Now with the camo, and a old Blue Post talking like we should play like Cat Druids, the thought is reinforced.

The problem in arena is that mana is not a meaningful resource, i.e. hunters can spam all their instant cast nukes at you without worrying about mana costs, because damage is more important. Focus is just a way of capping hunter damage in much the same way as a rogue, except now hunters have a reason to stand still and cast Steady Shot/Cobra Shot.
    YEH WOT

I welcome the changes. With focus, it will cause players to think about which attacks they'll use instead of now where most people smash buttons. I don't get the ammo magically *poofing* out of mid-air but at least we won't have to pay to buy ammo and worry about running out. Plus, if people are turned off because of the changes, there will be less competition for gear ;D

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard wants your resource to be NON-trivial. The fact that you never ran out before is bad in their (newish?) design philosophy. With focus, you'll have to watch your bar a bit more and make decisions regarding which skill to press when, rather than simply mashing the highest damage spell on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by dinzeH
    The problem in arena is that mana is not a meaningful resource, i.e. hunters can spam all their instant cast nukes at you without worrying about mana costs, because damage is more important. Focus is just a way of capping hunter damage in much the same way as a rogue, except now hunters have a reason to stand still and cast Steady Shot/Cobra Shot.
    This is one of my biggest concerns. A hunter that is 'standing still' in arena is a dead hunter. Any class worth their salt will get in melee range before the hunter gets a steady shot off, if at all possible, which will obviously kill the focus regen aspect of it. It's going to be one of the most looked-at things when balancing focus regen in beta, I'm sure.

Am i the only one imagining the screen getting more and more blurry as you lose focus? :

Nahh joke aside, i always loved mana, all the way back from fd -> drink, so i find it really crap that we have to be some kind of range rogues. ( like i wasnt confused enoght about the caster thingy, i dont cast stuff -.-)
    On the other hand i like that we don't have to use arrows anymore, even though logicaly its really really fucked. But i cant count the time where i in the middle of a boss fight suddenly have had no more arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    I am not one to judge too much, before I see it in gameplay. But the changes makes me feel like I've been turned into a Ranged Rogue with a Pet. Now with the camo, and a old Blue Post talking like we should play like Cat Druids, the thought is reinforced.
    So in WotLK you are a..... mage? only then with a bow?.. I guess we will just have to wait and see how this will play out. I think Blizz know what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Syatek
    Im sure there's been plenty of these topics going around but oh well.
    It's probably too early to tell, but I dont really like Focus so far.
    You have yet to see it in action. You have very little with which to make a judgement

I mean, we'll basically be using 2 shots, spam Steady, use another shot, spam Steady, use another.
    We don't know what our rotations will look like, except that we will use steady to regen focus. We already use steady as filler, so rotations might not change that much. Keep in mind that we will likely be able to regen more focus than the 6/sec or 12/sec during steady/cobra via talents, procs, and haste.

Disengage and other skills costing Focus is stupid. Need that button for 'oh sh*t' moments, we can't wait for focus to regen before we disengage >.>
    They've said that they will be looking closely at the cost of defensive abilities. However, good hunters will learn how to save some focus for when they need it, and burn it all when they can. Focus management is going to be an integral (and I think exciting) new aspect to playing a hunter

I dont really know why theyre changing to Focus.
    In WOTLK mana has not been an issue for me at all.
    The ONLY time ill ever go oom is in a 10 man and very very occasionally in a 25m.
    But, drinking a mana potion, using aspect of the viper, and viper sting if the target has mana, will get you to 100% pretty quickly.
    Hunters are balanced with the assumption that they won't need to use viper. If you are in a group with no JotW (our biggest mana return), you will need to use viper, and it will gimp your dps. Mana has been a problem for many hunter for basically all of WoW. If you are in a 25 with full buffs (especially JotW) you will be fine, but anywhere else, it can get rough. Removing mana is the best solution for an ongoing problem.

I think it would be better to make better ways of hunters regaining mana without a dps lost and having them go oom less than changing to Focus entirely.
    I don't think it would be better.

We're basically Bow Rogues now.
    No we aren't! Aside from the fact that we still have pets/traps, we will have MUCH more control over our focus than rogues have over their energy. Like I said before, focus management will be part of being a hunter. The resource works in the same way as energy, but we will get to manipulate it more.

As for arrows I think it wouldve been a better idea to keep an ammo slot, but no be consumable. Have it function as a dks sigil or paladins libram etc
    Actually this I can agree with. I'd love to see arrows with procs and such
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Steady shot better be usable while moving or arena is done for hunters. Also dead-zones are stupid and out dated.
    I wouldnt care if you could kick steady shot like any other spell i think thank you help justify no dead-zones.

From a PvE standpoint im giddy like a girl inline for a new twilight movie. Im sick of mana and having my entire ability to dps revolve around JoW and replenishment.

And bow base dps is going to be monstrous now and they need to rework steady im sock of it hitting for less than auto shot randomly,