For all mages with an alt healer...

Just wanted to get some input/opinions on this. I used to play druid as main (moonkin/resto) and then when I thought I was quitting the game, gave my account to a buddy, who still plays. After taking a few months off, I rerolled horde with some friends and made my mage. While I really enjoy my mage, I find that I am missing the versatility of the druid, and am debating on rolling a toon that can both heal and be caster dps, which means priest, shaman, or druid. Since I already had a druid, I'm leaning towards priest or shaman.

If anyone has a shaman or priest, can you tell me what you like/dislike about dps/healing on priest vs. shaman? From what I have seen, it seems like elemental rotation is pretty boring compared to shadow priest rotation, but I'm not as familiar with the healing side. Any helpful feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: For all mages with an alt healer...

Well, I personally don't like having to manage totems a lot so I prefer to play my priest more. I also really like how priest's have two trees for healing because it's really easy to switch it up if I ever get bored healing. On the other hand chain heal is incredibly fun and I'm sure healing rain will be fun too.

As for Dps I'd take my priest over my shaman any day. Shadowform is awesome and you feel more into the role than you would as an elemental or enhance shaman.

i wanted to start healing after playing long time with my mage and diceded to start a priest which is my main now

After having played a mage for a long time I started a priest and a holy pally (other spec is prot for even faster queues). Both heal well, but I like disc priest mechanics more.

It's up to you to determine what you like more - straightforward large heals and a couple of strong CDs or a whole variety of healing tools and shielding.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

I still play my mage as main, but am leveling a priest as we speak. Healing is tons of fun, you have a wide spectrum of different spells. But i hate shadow, whenever i go shadowform and dps a bit i feel like going back to my mage. It is too slow, you only do DoT's and channeled dot's
    Ecce homo ergo elk

I decided I wanted to try healing as well, seems that my guild is always short healers. So I rolled a Shaman, still leveling her and healing lowbie randoms is just a cakewalk.

I didn't feel like rolling a priest and fighting for the same equipment as my main. One of the reasons I like Shaman's that and chain heal is just win.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Töasty
    Just wanted to get some input/opinions on this. I used to play druid as main (moonkin/resto) and then when I thought I was quitting the game, gave my account to a buddy, who still plays. After taking a few months off, I rerolled horde with some friends and made my mage. While I really enjoy my mage, I find that I am missing the versatility of the druid, and am debating on rolling a toon that can both heal and be caster dps, which means priest, shaman, or druid. Since I already had a druid, I'm leaning towards priest or shaman.

If anyone has a shaman or priest, can you tell me what you like/dislike about dps/healing on priest vs. shaman? From what I have seen, it seems like elemental rotation is pretty boring compared to shadow priest rotation, but I'm not as familiar with the healing side. Any helpful feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
    if you play a mage as your main, then the healing style of the priest will be the most comfortable/familiar to you.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted

I have a resto/enhance shammy and shadow/disc priest and I find healing on my shammy more fun than healing on my priest. However shadow is a lot more fun than enhancement (never tried elemental), the rotation is just more interesting and not a button mash fest like most dps specs.

Despite my shadowpriest being my "2nd choice" main I really find the dps'ing part boring. Watch CDs, refresh dots, Mind Blast when it's off CD, fill with Mind Flay
    only healed as Disc. Didn't really catch my attention either :P never really healed in raids in wotlk tho, so it might be a bit more enjoyable in raids I wouldn't know.

Elemental is a lot of fun I think maximum spamage of Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst with the occasional flame shock. Don't know why I like it I just do and shaman healing is a lot of fun as well, even more so than elemental. Raid healing with my shammy has always been one of my favourites

my personal preferences I say pick shaman

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Waalt
    Watch CDs, refresh dots, Mind Blast when it's off CD, fill with Mind Flay
    possibly in ulduar, not in ICC.

also, what CDs does shadow have that need watching?
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    possibly in ulduar, not in ICC.

also, what CDs does shadow have that need watching?
    SHADOWFRIEND.

My main is still my mage but my escape is my Resto Shammy... which I love nearly as much. The best part is how easy they are to level and then gear as well. Also the Ele and Resto play style/rotation are nearly exactly the same. Also if u dont fancy another caster u get the Melee offspecc; and if u really wanna tae it to the max there are still those out there that tank in EN spec ;D

As far as leveling goes a priest is a lot more fun than a shammy, shammies are quite good fun as enhance but ele/resto is a pain.

I dungeon leveled as disc to 40 then duel specced disc & shadow so I quest as shadow then heal dungeons.

From a leveling PoV disc priests are probably the best healers due to the mana effeciency/regen you get.

(and yes i have a mage as my main)

The biggest problem I have with DPSing as a Shaman is the repetitiveness of spamming LB over and over and over again. Sure Elemental vs Enhancement isnt half as bad as Balance vs Cat, but it still gets repetitive.
    The thing I like the most is the awesome high crits and how you really do feel like a turret providing constant cover fire.
    Also totems are awesome.
    I dont like healing as a Shaman. So wont really give an opinion on that as it would be unfairly negative due to personal flavor.

The biggest problem I have with DPSing as a Priest is the ramp up time. It adds flavor, but gets annoying when stuff dies too fast to ever really do anything.
    The thing I like the most is what happens AFTER the ramp up. Dmg flies everywhere, heals fly everywhere, mana gets restored on everyone.. Not to mention the whole Sith feel ;p
    As far as Healing goes, the thing I love the most is being able to adapt to any healing role.
    Need AoE healing? Sure, I can do that.. Tank healer cant come today? Alright, i'll handle that..
    The Priest symbolizes the classic RPG Healer. When you think Healer, you think Priest. And I love that.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

Ok, well this decision should be easy based on several things. First off you play a fairly bursty class, so an elemental shaman should be a fairly similar 'feel' though somewhat different in terms of priorities. It has got some good burst, lightning overload is a fun talent, I find it very 'fast' compared to my demo/affliction warlock, less to watch in terms of procs, but it has its utility and can be quite alot of fun. You also have the option of trying melee dps out as well. I heal mainly on my shaman and i do like its playstyle, and i think it will be even more fun and versatile come cata.

A priest has two healing trees with very different playstyles. Now you need to decide whether you want the healing versatility or the dps versatility. If you'd rather just heal full time a priest may be for you. But if you want to dps with an option to heal then shammy may be for you. You also have to consider the buffs shamans bring compared to a priest.

All in all if you want bursty dps specs with a fun healing spec, choose a shaman. If you like the slow going ramp up time of a shadow priest and the option of two healing trees as you want to focus mainly on healing, go priest.

10+ Year Old Account

I really like the lore behind shaman, as the (once, more versatile) totems too.
    When a group needed a 5th, shaman had 1st choice.
    But, as a shaman healing a main tank in a party, some encounters "can" be hard and for some players these will be impossible.
    And the wines/laughs about ele-shaman in cata, which could be less strong?

As a priest, you are supposed to heal or be shadow.
    And because the priest is known as the most versatile healing class.. You can not / will not .. fail ...
    And prob you wont fail at all. Another plus, Instant groups.

If possible, ask a friend to try his shaman and priest.

Perhaps others can tell you more about pvp with these classes.

I rolled a Shaman healer for the simple fact I wanted to play an orc. Whatever you decide to roll, deck him out in the BoA gear and it makes leveling ungodly easy. Now that he's 80, I have him in full 245 gear and thanks to Chain Heal + Riptide he's fairly close to top of the healing meters on most fights. What I think I enjoy the most about him (and this parallels my mage) is all the AoE. There's nothing as rewarding in the game as seeing tons of numbers fly across your screen all at once.

10+ Year Old Account

I come to think that a high percentage of mages have a priest alt, myself included.

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.