Trying to do more damage

I don't consider myself a bad mage, I know all the gearing rules, stat ratios, cooldown staggering, fight mechanics to minimize movement, etc. But I still feel as though im not doing enough damage even though I outdps/damage every other mage ive played with on my server by a fair margin (though my server is considered a bad server as far as pve goes). On average I pull 10k (and before swizzle tells me to use skada I have used skada and it rates me at 9-10kdps) on any given boss, but I look at all these parses of people doing 14k dps and people saying they do 12k dps in worse gear than I have (I don't take these guys at their word but im putting it out there in case it might be true) and I am just stumped on how I can do more damage apart from getting better gear, and I dont think the gear im missing would account for 2-3k dps.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rhorn&cn=Garve

On a side note ive seen some people say to go for 63 SP to weapon if you have enough haste and ive been considering it but not sure as to whether I should or not.

Re: Trying to do more damage

Unless you're hard capped haste, Black Magic will still be better if you just stagger cooldowns instead of blow them all at once.

15+ Year Old Account

is it just me, or have people started taking precautions regarding my responses when they post? :-[ :-[

anyway, i'd be glad to help out, but i would need a lot more information regarding your mage and your performance than you've provided. if you don't want to put it all up in the open, feel free to send me a PM, i'm a lot nicer if people don't suck. :-*
    BfA Beta Time

What kind of information do you need? Ive been considering doing videos of some of my guilds kills if that would suffice for information.

I know all the gearing rules, stat ratios, cooldown staggering, fight mechanics to minimize movement
    If your DPS isn't suffering from these and you're not giving any specific bosses/fights where you would like to perform better, theres not much to be said.
    After CDs/rotations/gears are in order the only way to be better is to learn how to minimize the time you aren't casting. Using blink/IB correctly as well as moving during globals can have huge impact of your overral dmg.

And I wouldn't say 10k is really bad with your gear. Those who do 14k at pure single target fight like festergut are likely much higher geared than you are and those who say they do 12k to single target with worse gear than you have without any tricks/PI are talking shit.
    What kind of information do you need? Ive been considering doing videos of some of my guilds kills if that would suffice for information.
    Logs are always helpful. Videos might be helpful, but you can't always see if/when you are making mistake at them.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Garve
    rotations, raid comps, play style, CD usage, strats, latency, shit like that. a video from your PoV would suffice, but that often entails more effort on your part than you might initially think.
    BfA Beta Time

Want serious information, and not the you maybe, you probably etc.
    1st: Combat Log do it.
    2nd: Save a video of your playing yes position etc matters, so do it.

Same character , same gear same rotation without screw up can have 2k or more dps difference, cd's usage, movement , latency etc.

p.s: now think, if you don't think is worth do it, don't so, and we won't invest more time for you, than you do yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    rotations, raid comps, play style, CD usage, strats, latency, shit like that. a video from your PoV would suffice, but that often entails more effort on your part than you might initially think.
    ill just go down the list.

Rotations:
    I stick with the standard ABx4mbar but sometimes I go fishing for procs up to 5 or 6 since mana isn't usually an issue. If I have to move due to fight mechanics or something and ive used arcane barrage sometimes I might have mbar up still and generally I will start off my new rotation with that for the t10x2 bonus.

Raid Comp:
    As far as caster buffs go we have a spriest, an ele shaman, an unholy dk, and a ret pally giving the 3% haste. We have an aff warlock but hes pretty sketchy as far as attendance goes.

Play Style:
    I think this is best left for the video I intend to make because a play style is something you just do, I don't think my words could adequately describe it.

CD Usage:
    Depends on the fight but say if BL is going to be popped before my CDs would have a chance to cycle again I would hit berserking because it puts me way below one second during BL. Generally though I do 4xAB pom AB pop MI AP IV trinket wild magic and berserking then continue with normal rotation. This puts me at 1.003 sec cast time which may be too close to the GCD, im not sure. What usually slips me up here though is black magic procing and dropping me to .9 Ive been meaning to find an addon that tracks proc CDs but I keep forgetting. After ive used all my CDs it largely depends on the fight and how long till we BL but im not really sure whether I should pop my CDs as soon as they are up or wait till they are all up again for another mass CD.

Strats:
    Im not sure how to describe this since I know some guilds, especially the higher tiered ones, use radically different strats from what my guild might use.

Latency:
    between 100-200ms

Do you use a addon called quartz? It really helps with spell casting and no wasted time. added 500-750 dps using addon vrs not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumanis
    Do you use a addon called quartz? It really helps with spell casting and no wasted time. added 500-750 dps using addon vrs not using it.
    Yes I use quartz, I think in general my UI is sufficient.

Im no mage but while perusing the forum i saw this thread. ForteXorcist is a great addon for tracking proc cooldowns. It should track all your weapon procs/trinket/ring internal cooldowns on the timer bar it has. Give it a try =P

Quote Originally Posted by Orcgasmic
    Im no mage but while perusing the forum i saw this thread. ForteXorcist is a great addon for tracking proc cooldowns. It should track all your weapon procs/trinket/ring internal cooldowns on the timer bar it has. Give it a try =P
    ^This

In ICC gear having an ele shammy and not a demo lock is a pretty big loss.

Also consider the fact that fight length has a huge impact on your dps. If your guild needs 4:50 to kill festergut, you can't compare your dps to a mage in a guild that does it in 2:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogge
    Also consider the fact that fight length has a huge impact on your dps. If your guild needs 4:50 to kill festergut, you can't compare your dps to a mage in a guild that does it in 2:20.
    I think guilds that kill him in 2:20 are forgetting to put it on heroic!

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd
    I think guilds that kill him in 2:20 are forgetting to put it on heroic!
    Examples skarrd, examples!