Returning Warlock needs help!

So after taking roughly a 4 month break from WoW, I have decided to return for the expansion and to kill the LK as I killed Illidan prenerf and want to do the same for the LK. The only thing is, is that I have not been in the "loop" of the most recent warlock spec, highest DPS and gear etc. Which is why I am coming here. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could please help in as to point me in the right direction when it comes to spec, overall dps and any other big changes that have happened to the warlock class. I have been trying to catch up, but I am sure that I have missed some things. When I deactivated, my gear score was right around 5500, I was in a rather good raiding guild and have been my entire WoW career, clearing Sunwell Plateau in BC, up to Muru prenerf.

Thanks all!!

Re: Returning Warlock needs help!

I believe there are stickies in the Warlock section that has the most updated information for patch 3.3.3.
    Plus there are some great video guides and it shows how much DPS they do on dummies and the most effective rotation currently.
    Best of luck on downing Arthas!

1: Gear score is of no value, please stop using it.

B: Aff seems to be the top dps spec right now. Spell power>haste>crit>spirit. Get never melting ice crystal and dislodged foreign object for your trinkets.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    1: Gear score is fine, apart from anything else it tells me that at your gear level all three specs should be viable dps wise, although:

B: Aff seems to be the top dps spec right now. Spell power>haste>crit>spirit. Get never melting ice crystal and dislodged foreign object for your trinkets.
    Fixed. Presuming your gear is sensible, you shouldn't notice a massive difference in DPS between the three specs available. Aff tends to push ahead for single target dps, or multi-target dotting when burst isn't an issue. Demo provides significant raid buffs and good single target dps and target switching. Destro tends to be behind in terms of pure dps, but has been buffed to a point where it's viable and in 10 man comps can be valuable for replenishment and burst damage - or even shadowfury if your comp lacks stuns.

For specifics on each spec see the stickies.

10+ Year Old Account

If gearscore is of value; explain this

Unfortunately, we've reached a point now where Primordial Saronite and substantial numbers of EoF aren't beyond the reach of these kinds of people. There is simply no substitute for stacking the right stats. GS also fails to notice a lack of gems or enchants, which ultimately means you can have the score, but be missing half your stats. I actually know some people pack a 'GS set' while they're gearing to ensure a PuG spot, but switch out for better itemisation when the combat begins; once you've begun and are pulling the numbers and dodging fires, no one notices.

Back on topic, if your stacking the right stats according to the guides, you'll probably find Destruction is probably the most forgiving of the specs when it comes to getting a handle on fight mechanics, as loosing debuff stacks in Affliction can really hurt you through the slow ramp up. On the whole though, you should find all specs are pretty close, so just play whichever feels comfortable for you.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka
    If gearscore is of value; explain this
    lol. touché.

well i don't really want to start a GS debate. i just wanted to make the point that a GS quote isn't entirely useless, and from the OP's assessment of himself I doubt he will be cheesing it like this. If he is then a 0/0/71 spec is probably the most appropriate.

10+ Year Old Account

It's just one of those things; GS is fine as long as you assume the guy knows what they're doing, but if you assume the guy knows what they're doing, then you needn't worry about GS.