Cant figure out my spriest rotation and gemming. HELP

ok i cant figure this out. ive been a discipline priest for a long time and have started gemming and made shadow my main spec.
    i know im supposed to be gemming in respect to socket bonus's in a sense. reckless, runed and purified.

what i know im doing wrong is that i dont have 1 or two items enchanted atm and the meta gem in my head piece is wrong.
    other then that i cant figure out gear wise what im doing wrong. im also way over hit capped but as i havent gemmed for hit and its all gear hit i cant do anything about it atm.

As for addons and rotations ive been told im doing it right.
    when running into a fight i pop fade. SW:P, DP and if still running SW
    then i use VT Mind Blast and then MF till i need to upkeep my dots. and when i can use MB and keep up with MF.
    when i need to move around (ie marrowgar's bone storm) ill use SW:P DP and SW

other then that isnt Spriesting about keeping dots up and mindflaying?

add on wise i have the usual recount dbm etc etc but ive been using MFclip which tells me how long my dots and cd's have left and when to cast them. it also puts off a loud noise when clipping is done (this has been the bane of my playing atm)
    at the end of every encounter itll tell me how much dps i have lost from clipping and i can get it down to about 200dps missed.
    but im still only pulling 5k buffed in 10mans.

from what i can gather im doing everything right except not having tier set bonus's
    any help would be hugly appreciated

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...goroth&cn=Enfy

heres my armoury link for you also

Re: Cant figure out my spriest rotation and gemming. HELP

People will argue which opener to use but they all end with Pain. Get 5 stacks of Shadow Weaving then use Pain. I'm not too sure how it works (which is sad) but I believe that whenever Pain is refreshed via Mind Flay, it gets the bonuses of your buffs (Lightweave, ring proc etc).

20haste is never better than 12sp/10 haste.

When you get the badges, drop the helm/chest/shoulders for t10 in that order. Since you have 251 gloves, replace those with the t10 for the 4set. That should help trade your hit for other useful stats. Abracadaver is pretty bad in the grand scheme of things but its what is going to keep you hit capped so try and get a 1h and the offhand from LDW. In 10ms, unless you're rolling with a warlock or an ele shaman I believe, you're going to have a hard time hitting high amounts of DPS. We definitely shine in the 25 man environment as we benefit a lot from all the synergy of the buffs.

Just replace your gear overtime and you should be seeing a significant increase. Also as a thought, you could probably regem a few pieces but its honestly up to you if you want to min/max that much.

Edit: and the haste ring from badges is better than your ulduar one. Anything helps

Belf. Again.

10+ Year Old Account

Opening Sequences:
    VT ~ MB ~ MF ~ DP ~ SW:P
    or
    VT ~ DP ~ MF ~ SW:P ~ MB

-The first gets Replenishment out immediately and puts up DP with SWx5, while the second gets DoTs up quick and rolling. Either way is fine as your opener has almost no effect on your overall DPS in a fight.

With BM
    MF ~ MF (two ticks) ~ VT ~ DP ~ SW:P ~ MB

-This will get BM to proc early in the opener to get up DoTs with the extra Haste.

Without MB
    VT ~ DP ~ MF ~ SW:P

In all of these SW:P is cast in the latter part. This is done for two reasons; the first is to get five stack of Shadow Weaving and the second is to allow all raid buffs and debuffs to be applied to assure that SW:P is going up as strong as possible.

Priorities:

Think of Shadow DPS, although there is a ‘rotation’ you’ll fall into, as a hierarchy of priorities:

Number 1:
    Vampiric Touch - Cast so that it lands .1 to .5 seconds after the VT currently on the target ends. This means being aware of it's cast time and requires practice to get it right. DO NOT CLIP under any circumstances.

Number 2:
    Devouring Plague - Cast only after the DP currently on the target falls off. DO NOT CLIP under most circumstances.

Number 3 and 4:
    Mind Blast
    -With 4pc T10 you will only use MB when it does not conflict with VT or DP recasts and MFx3. The best time I've found is right after a DoT recast. It's not paramount that you cast on CD basically, just where it fits nicely.
    -With 4pc T10 and certain levels of gear you can drop MB from your rotation; you will find out if this is right for you in the FAQ section
    -Without 4pc T10 it is Number 3 priority and should be cast on CD unless VT or DP need to be recast. In that case cast the DoT and cast MB immediately after.

Mind Flay
    - With 4pc T10 Number 3 basically. You can clip after 2 ticks for VT and DP recasts.
    - Without 4pc T10 it's basically a filler spell used when you don't have to recast VT, DP, or MB.

Shadow Word: Pain - Is cast in the opener, but then Pain and Suffering will refresh SW:P every time you cast MF on your target. Shadow Word: Pain should only be recast when you gain certain buffs or your target gains certain debuffs.

The full list of buffs and debuffs that warrant a SW:P recast can be found here: Harb_ID @ http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23642

Gemming

Chaotic Skyflare Diamond - 70 PP: Every Shadow Priest will use this Meta Gem.

Runed Cardinal Ruby – 23 PP: This will always go in Red and Prismatic Gem slots, and goes in Blue and Yellow Gem slots except for the following two cases

Reckless Ametrine - 21.8 PP: This will go in every Yellow Gem slot with a socket bonus.

Purified Dreadstone - 17.9 PP: You will need to socket two to activate your meta gem. They will go in any Blue Gem slot where the bonus is >= 6 PP. You can put them in bonuses that are >=5 PP for a .1 PP loss and a slight gain in regen.

More info on Raiding Shadow in my signature.

PP sucks... and those gem values are making scale factor assumptions that aren't true of the OPs gearset.

Just being nit-picky though, good advice in general. :P

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    PP sucks... and those gem values are making scale factor assumptions that aren't true of the OPs gearset.

Just being nit-picky though, good advice in general. :P
    Yeah, those are based off the T10 Normal BiS list. It's what could be considered an 'average' gear level at this point or at least a decent mean for the current patch. BiS uses it too.

OP's stats aren't even approaching BiS T9, was more my point... Either way SP > Haste > Crit > Spirit. So, w/e, I just hate PP (because it's stupid).

Deleted

Sounds consistant with what I have read elsewhere.

To help with clipping, get a good cast-bar addon, usually Quartz. It shows your latency, the bane of all shadow priests. You cannot spam the MF button, or you will be constantly clipping. If you wait until the cast is finsihed before you press it (or use a nochannelling macro) you loose DPS by haing a space as big as your latency between the end of your cast and the start of your next MF.
    With quartz, it shows a (usually) red bar of your latency at the end of the channel. Press the MF button at just past the average point where this red bar starts. This will mean that when you press the button, the time it takes the server to register and start casting is exactly the time left on the spell. This means the next spell will start casting as soon as possible, without losing any ticks (clipping).
    This can add up to a good few hundred DPS.

The other main point to master is VT reapplying. It is a hard thing to do when you first start going shadow. You have to know exactly when it has to be reapplied, and whether you have time to cast another MF before it need reapplying, or if you only have 1 GCD and should SW. As said above, you should aim to have it reapplied between 0.1 and 0.5 seconds after the previous one falls off.
    It is better to cast it 1 second late than one second early. This is because if you cast it early, you have the 2 second since the last tick, plus 3 seconds until the first tick of the next application, making 5 seconds between ticks. If you cast it 1 second late, you have that one second plus the 3 from the previous tick, making 4 seconds between ticks. Less is more (values modified by haste, these are base values).
    It sounds easy, but getting it right (close to) 100% of the time is one of the hardest things about playing spriests, especially with multidotting.

10+ Year Old Account

A couple of things on what Abb said:

Castbar: for Shadow there really is only one choice, and that's Gnosis. It will play a sound when you clip MF improperly, shows all channeled ticks with pushback recalculations, and it's made by the MFClip guy.

Use Forte Xorcist as your DoT timer and you'll never have issues with VT recasts. There's a block on the timer showing you where to start casting the next one so that it will land right after the current one will end. Adjusts for Haste. It's really amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    OP's stats aren't even approaching BiS T9, was more my point... Either way SP > Haste > Crit > Spirit. So, w/e, I just hate PP (because it's stupid).
    He's only roughly 1/2 tier below the set the PP factors were derived from. The difference in PP values isn't likely to change something like gemming though.

PP impeachment aside ( :P ) if you want your own scale factors you can get them by running yourself through Simcraft.