Nevermelting Ice Crystal for Moonkin

For those of you who don't know, http://www.wowhead.com/item=50259

Yes, I know, it's terrible. However, I'm very limited in my options at the moment since my luck is so bad (Currently rolling with sundial and abyssal rune). I'm not going to go out of my way to get it, but if I do happen to get it, is it still so bad for a moonkin that it wouldn't be more beneficial than Abyssal Rune (http://www.wowhead.com/item=47213)? If it is better, continue reading below.

I was thinking since eclipsed wrath is barely better in dps than uneclipsed starfire during bloodlust, how about if I used this trinket as my lunar eclipse wore off to continue a lunar eclipse-like effect? I know the trinket is balanced around using the "on use" ability on cooldown, but for the fights that are longer than three minutes, but a BL is usually more beneficial towards the middle (I can't think of one off the top of my head), would it be better to use the trinket twice or save it for BL?

Any light shed on the matter is much appreciated.

Re: Nevermelting Ice Crystal for Moonkin

I'm in a similar situation where I have nothing better other than the ice crystal trinket. However, it has quite a bit of SP if you ignore the Use, so that's nothing to complain about.

In terms of the Use mechanic, Starfall will eat the charges, so be wary when you use it. I personally like to use it to proc my first Lunar Eclipse, since you'll have a very high crit chance with Wrath front-loaded, so it increases your odds to get your rotation going. Beyond that, I pop it during or trailing a Solar Eclipse since it's rather pointless for a Lunar Eclipse. I suppose if you're more concerned about AoE damage, pop it for a Starfall, since I'm pretty sure that you only lose one charge per set of stars (and each star gets the crit bonus).
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

You typically shouldn't have too much trouble proccing Lunar Eclipse - it's better to use the crit bonus during Solar Eclipse so that Wrath extra dmg hits harder and crits.

Quote Originally Posted by vegiisan
    You typically shouldn't have too much trouble proccing Lunar Eclipse - it's better to use the crit bonus during Solar Eclipse so that Wrath extra dmg hits harder and crits.
    RNG is RNG. I've still gone over 30 seconds w/o Wrath crits proccing a Lunar eclipse with over 45% crit in raids, either because Wraths just won't crit or the occasional Wrath crits don't proc Lunar Eclipse before going back to normal hits. I prefer to hedge my bets and get those first few Wraths to crit to increase my chance of a Lunar eclipse. Better to clip the first Use buff than sit on it while you aren't possibly getting an eclipse for a while.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Yeah, I understand. I still feel you're wasting the Crit Stacks though if you pop it, Wrath procs Lunar on the next hit say, then Starfire already has 95%+ Crit so you're wasting the remaining stacks.

In terms of DPS increase, I'm suggesting you just use it during Solar Eclipse instead of wasting stacks proccing Lunar. ;D

For raw spellpower, the battlemaster trinket is a lot better. To make the most of the crit, I'd suggest using it about halfway into your solar eclipse for some extra crits and procing the next lunar faster but overall I felt it was too much of a gamble to be of much use.

Sundial of the Exiled (available from badges) is better than Nevermelting Ice Crystal so it's just not possible that nothing better is available to you.

Not neccesarily, I think the ICD of that trinket cripples it a bit. If you're over the crit cap, you don't need the crit it offers, and a static SP buff is better than a random proc you might not get a chance to use. The Abyssal Rune is better than the Sundial once you're crit capped, and then once you have a lot of haste, the Ice Crystal becomes better than the Abyssal as well.

In my current level of gear, WrathCalcs+Rawr has stated that the Ice Crystal offers more DPS than the Abysal Rune/Sundial. I think it's value is situational based upon how much crit/haste you have. It'd be a safer option to use Abyss/Sundial and ignore the Crystal, and try for Muradin's Spyglass. Once you have that, the Purified Lunar Dust is more DPS than the Abyss/Sundial as well.

The math of the Sundial/Abyss work out to average something like 100SP over a fight duration (and if it procs when you're running around, you literally got no SP gain out of it at all), whereas Ice Crystal/Purified Lunar Dust is 111/179SP the entire fight. So they offer more SP over the course a fight, so they are better trinkets, but the question is do you need the crit/haste off the other two. ;D

Static SP > Proc SP for these trinkets.

Deleted

Never ever use the Ice Crystal. The use effect is pretty bad. Your current two trinkets are both better. They average around the same spellpower as NIC but the passive haste/crit is way better than the use effect on NIC.

The argument that you can waste a proc because of running is right, but it can go the other way round. When it procs the right time it is worth even more than the calculated average spellpower. In the end it evens out.

If you're over the crit cap, you don't need the crit it offers, and a static SP buff is better than a random proc you might not get a chance to use. The Abyssal Rune is better than the Sundial once you're crit capped, and then once you have a lot of haste, the Ice Crystal becomes better than the Abyssal as well.
    You're right. Once you're at 42% crit, all your spells crit, so the crit isn't needed! Once you're at 401 haste, all your spells are 1s cast, so the haste isn't needed!

Never mind the fact that the ice crystal's use benefit also drops as your crit goes up...

True, but, Lunar Eclipse makes Starfire reach almost 100% so crit is useless there, yeah. But Wrath still only does 42%/whatever your Crit is during Solar Eclipse, so the trinket could up the chance for it to crit a couple more times. I think the static 111SP is the best thing about it, cause the other trinkets are random procs which stink, but yeah it's okay, but not really that good a trinket for a Moonkin. ^_^

Deleted

If you are soft crit capped during lunar eclipse, if you are precicely at 100% crit chance with eclipse up, then your wrath crit chance will be 57%. Remove 40% from eclipse, and 3% from moonfires 3% because of imp. insect swarm, and you're at 57%. So consider the benefit if your trinket when already half of your spells will crit. And when you pop the trinket, you can consider if you lose a charge because it made the spell crit, or if it would have critted anyways.

Nevermelting Ice Crystal is much, much better on a class with low overall crit. Its not very good for us, and Sundial and Abyssal Rune is a perfectly fine choice until you get something more substancial.

I'm in a trink choice frustration also, I luckily got heroic muradin's but i'm left with abyssal rune for now.