Mana and other problems

So I ran an ICC25 PuG this afternoon after picking up Purified Lunar Dust and getting rid of Talisman of Resurgence, but it seems I'm going even faster OOM than before.
    Also I'm doing a load of overhealing, so I have a few questions:
    • Should I change my gemming to + haste / intellect / spirit (in that order), since the 10% healing buff is only making me overhealing more
    • Which one is better one for Holy Priests: the Talisman or the Dust?

Any other tips, advices, .. are welcome.

P.S.1: I guess I should normally have 3/3 Serendipity, but I made that build when I had to replace a healer on our progression on Putricide
    P.S.2: Also note: I'm in a 10man only guild and Shadow is my mainspec.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Mana and other problems

Questions:

What is your other healer?
    Why Holy over Disc?

The other healers we got are RDruid / RShaman, our Disc Priest quitted a few days ago.
    I took Holy because they needed a GSPirit on VDW and due to tank deaths on PP (which has been solved with better gear).

Would it be THAT better to go Disc?

10+ Year Old Account

PI on your Rsham should be enough for VDW tbh. You'll stay out and solo heal for most, if not all, of that fight.

But on the larger issue: yes, it is that good. Spending 10 seconds to bubble the entire raid then not having to look at them for a time with great single target abilities is amazing. You can probably go down to you and another healer for at least a few fights.

Barring some sentimental or plastyle preference for Holy, Disc would definitely be the way to go. You can almost just leave in your Shadow gear, swap trinkets, and be good to go as Disc too.

Also: what trinkets do you have / have access to?

Ok, I'll discuss with my RL about changing my spec to Disc.

The trinkets I have are the Talisman, PLD, the Sliver and DPS trinkets like Abyssal Rune and the Spyglass.

The trinkets I hope to ever get are the Solace on the occasional ToC25 pugs; Althor's Abacas on the occasional ICC25 pugs.

10+ Year Old Account

You'll want to run Sliver / PLD until you get Solace or are comfortable enough with your mana to run something like Althor's / Illustration of the Dragon Soul / Eye of the Broodmother as a second trinket.

First thing you should know, as Holy, is where to place your casts. If you're running out of mana, and overhealing alot, then you should find a way to pace yourself back a bit. I can go completely balls to the wall in some of my gear, but if I'm healing the same targets as other people, I'm going to run out of mana alot faster than the average fight's over.

That's just playing stupid.

Would it be THAT better to go Disc?
    It's never better to go Discipline, if you enjoy Holy. Both fill different roles, and Guardian Spirit > Pain Suppression. Power Infusion is cool, I'll give them that. If you're doing fine as a Holy Priest, then you really shouldn't force yourself to switch spec's. Holy is fine on all fights, and doesn't stack well with Discipline (also a key point).

Between gems (for Holy) I myself have been running:
    SP Haste, Haste, and Haste/Spirit because of the 10% buff (well I actually switched over since the 5%). But that's because my mana can sustain it (I also do not see myself replacing Spark of Hope any time soon). As for trinket advice, if you aren't able to get yourself a SoH, pretty much follow Frmercury's advice there.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Just out of curiosity: how do you gem for Disc with the 10% buff? Much haste as well I guess?

15+ Year Old Account

First of all, in the situation you're in, (druid/shaman heals) i'd say disc would be better for raid comp to gain a primarily tank targeted healer in the mix, but holy can do an ok job at that, else have the shaman tank heal and you raid heal, lost of options of course.

For gems, Disc loves spell, crit, and intellect, haste is ok, but with borrowed time haste cap gets hit pretty redily in ICC gear, focus on intellect/spell or pure spell when you feel mana is no longer an issue. Higher mana pools makes for larger mana returns from rapture and thus less issues with mana regen so the Talisman of Resurgence and PLD work well together, as holy try to sneak into uld10 for spark, as Kelesti said, its pretty epic for that spec.

But in general, people either over or under rate disc, its not godly, and its not useless, people need to realize that its just as useful as holy, but just fills a different roll >.<

Quote Originally Posted by allaiva
    But in general, people either over or under rate disc, its not godly, and its not useless, people need to realize that its just as useful as holy, but just fills a different roll >.<
    This is a really good way to phrase it. The final claim is incorrect as Holy/Disc fill the same role in raids, but they do perform that role in different ways.

For the OP: The general rule of thumb for 10 mans is this: If you have a Druid raid healer, go Disc. Otherwise go Holy.

This is complicated for you because you don't have a Paladin. That makes your Druid your best tank healer, which gets sketchy. If your Shaman is tank healing (most likely scenario), then you'll want to go Disc. Otherwise you'll want to go Holy. Shaman/Holy and Druid/Disc are better combination for most fights than Shaman/Disc and Druid/Holy.

If you're having mana problems in a group with both a Druid and Resto Shaman then you're doing something wrong. Does your group have replenishment? Are you in the Shaman's group? Are you asking for Innervate preemptively? You need to communicate with your Druid and get him to start Innervating you as soon as you hit ~60% mana. Also communicate with your Shaman on Mana Tide and try to blow Hymn and Fiend at the same time if possible. Holy Priests are very cooldown reliant on mana. Not as much as Paladins, but close.

As far as the trinkets specifically: Talisman offers significantly more regen overall. If you have mana problems you may want to keep using it until your gear is better.