Tanking Heroics with a mix of DPS gear

I love DPSing dungeons, but can't stand the 10 minute wait for the DPS queue.

Lately I've been tanking heroics with a mix of DPS / Tank gear.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...grand&n=Sasume

I started out switching out my trinkets, rings and boots for my DPS stuff so that I still remained uncrittable, but the last couple of days I've been tanking in what you see above and buffing myself with might.

Firstly the healers love me because they actually have something to do, secondly it's great fun for me because I'm usually pulling 4.5 - 5k overall dps (2.5-3.5k on bosses).

Anyone else doing this too?

I'm thinking of going full ret gear except the prot shoulders and gloves + shield and tanking weapon (or dps 1h if I can get it) but have mostly been limited because of JC gem restrictions.

Re: Tanking Heroics with a mix of DPS gear

I tank in full ret gear when I have my friends with me healing through heroics.

If not, I just put in wrathful nonsets and wear some tank trinkets. If the healer seems to be decent then back to ret gear =)

things are just.. so much faster this way!!

For me it depends. If the healer is crap, I put on full tanking gear.
    Decent healer, I remain uncrittable but put on some dps gear.
    If I know the healer, or he/she has got really good gear I go dps gear all the way. In full retri gear I have around 32k unbuffed, thats enough for heroics.

15+ Year Old Account

I have sword and board in bag.

Using pvp gear with a mix of hit and exp gear to dont miss all the time + hit food.

Works great, almost 30k hp with kings.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

I've started doing this too.

I use either Last word (PP-25) weapon with accuracy, or a dps 1hander. Then i wear all my 264 ret gear while keeping JC restrictions+ 2pc prot. Usually puts me at about 50/50 prot/ret with 40k hp unbuffed.

I've started using a SoCom build to since trash gets domilished if you get some decent aoe classes, and use the BV on holy shield glyph instead of strength from SoV. I haven't tried tanking as ret cause i feel like id have mana problems.

ive managed 6-7k in doing this
    Tank Extraordinaire

At a lan there was once a death knight, a holy pally and a Priest with maxxed tailoring.

The Priest created a full set of Frostsavage PVP gear (lvl 78 SP cloth gear) and some other blue items for the death knight. They all qued for a random H and the DK qued as tank. When inside Violet hold the DK began insisting on how good SP gear is for DK threat(LOL?) the people beleived him and thanks to the incredible healing of holy pallys he tanked the entire instance.

Just saying lol. I also tanked one in my shadow spec with a druid friend of mine healing. We wiped on the first boss when i got 1 hit =(.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    NightHaawk rolls a 2 (1-100) on [Thread Topic]
    Chikko: HA HA HA HA
    Chikko rolls a 1 (1-100) on [Thread Topic]
    Chikko: FFFUUUUU

You can go down to about 480-500 def without any problem. Or you can just wear PVP ret items.
    You can even tank in ret spec without any trouble (with enough def/res), but doing so is about 1k dps less than tanking in prot spec. I thought your dps would go through the roof with 2T10 and with your fast one handed weapon it would proc all the time, but it just hits for almost nothing compared to hotr.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri
    You can even tank in ret spec without any trouble (with enough def/res)...
    If your DPSers are geared, you'll find ret actually doesn't generate much threat even with RF active. Not enough abilities do holy damage. It can be done, but it's much better to be in prot spec using ret gear rather than the other way around.

EDIT: I mean AoE threat specifically, single target is alright.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

i tank in fury spec and dps gear, dont have any problems.... only maybe in HOR i have problems

here is link

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...enor&cn=Bladey

Topping dps in 5 mans as Prot Pala in Full Ret gear + seal of command(with shield :P)
    but ye.... I really need to have some friendly healer :>>>

Deleted

No need to have full ret gear to pull high dps in heroics.

Tanking in heroics with 2T10 prot for bonus, SoC, bloc value gear and libram, dps offset, Skelleton key and Death's choice as trinkets, that way i can use Skelleton's absorb if things go crappy. Pulling ~3k5 on bosses and 6-7k on trash.

Fast heroic, fast emblems.

either i tank in full ret gear with a slow DPS 1h weapon, or i let the healer DPS and switch to prot gear + judgement and seal of light. Either way, i'm not going to die.

Well, you should be crit immune at least - last time I had a pala going for tank with shield and ret only armor he got dmg like mad. And that wasn't fun anymore for me, because if there was group dmg .. well, hard to heal. With a mob of 4 enemies you get around 4k crit+ hits on 264 plate - not to mention magic dmg.

Ret gear with a bit stuff to get crit immune (hc needs around 536 if im correct) and tank skills - nice. without tank skills it gets hard because of the missing parry, avoid etc.

Without crit immune not really possible to heal - or better said not good, because you run out of mana, even on a high ilvl. (Raid synergie missing > manareg sucks)

Oh, and don't try this on HOR - with the warriors going enrage you get a 10k shadowdmg hit each - that hurts like hell - and with the tons of aoe/cc there, the heal wont really be able to keep you up.
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

all you need is a tank spec + shield, can wear ret gear in every other slot
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

I've tanked every wrath 5man heroic (not including ICC5mans) as PvE ret in full PvE gear. Never had any issues, just shy of 30k hp with kings up. Smart use of divine protection, sacred shield and AoW FoL's and you don't even need a good healer, an average one will do.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    If your DPSers are geared, you'll find ret actually doesn't generate much threat even with RF active. Not enough abilities do holy damage. It can be done, but it's much better to be in prot spec using ret gear rather than the other way around.

I found with T10 4pc i could maintain aoe threat pretty easily.. even when the dpses were somewhat geared. But yea if you do happen to loose aggro to a mage or warlock, u can jus use the party taunt thing hehe

full block set. tell healer to dps. heal self from judgement of light...win?

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala

um..if i put rf on as ret...and someone can pull off me w/o taunting...i might /delete
    i mean as is..even with icc geared tanks...i pull off them on aoe trash even when they get mds and tricks -_-