Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Help! (Gemming, Trinket and Hit issues)

The best thing to do would be change back to AP gemming at your current gear lv and your expertise is kinda high <http://www.wowhead.com/item=49998> or <http://www.wowhead.com/item=50470> would probably be a better choice of cloak if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik
    I kinda of assumed people were intelligent and knew by saying 26 was the "cap" I meant that rogues don't need more than that. I also never said 37 WAS the actual cap, I guessed. Doesn't really matter what the actual cap is, the point of that was that he was wasting a boatload of potential DPS by being over 26.

I have also NEVER had to worry about hitting the poison cap. I don't know how anyone does. I have NEVER seen ANY rogue have to gem hit rating to reach the poison cap. It was totally achievable by accident in Ulduar and ToC gear and the case is the same in ICC. You would have to actively avoid hit rating to get below the poison cap. I guess I just explained my idea wrong. I guess saying capping poisons is not important was just a really bad way of explaining my point. I can't see anyone having to actively cap their spell hit through gems. Every rogue I have seen, be it ICC geared or badge geared/heroic geared, has been capped on poisons without having to gem it. I can't imagine the gear that the OP has access to would cause him to have to gem for hit rating.

Also, the spreadsheet (assuming Aldriana's) uses white hit for all hit rating EP regardless of what you actually have. This means you can be under the spell hit cap and the hit EP will be undervalued. If you are under the spell hit cap you just have to fiddle with the sheet and see what the projected DPS number is for each combination.
    Um, avg ilvl=265, I have to gem some hit to get spell hit capped, sup? Hit/arp gear is basically just the sword. If you are stacking arp it would be fairly easy to be under spell hit, esp without a boomkin/spriest (which is really easy to not have for a 10m).

And yeah the sheet does use the white hit regardless for the recommended items, but it also tells you what your EP for spell hit is. If spell hit ep > arp ep then socketing hit until you are spell hit cap'd will be more dps. Theres not really much fiddling, just intelligent use of the sheet. There is no reason why everyone cant take half a second to make sure at the top of the sheet it isnt saying your poisons have a miss chance, and if it does then you know to use the spell hit EP value.

@OP
    You said you did 8.5kdps in your first post with an ap set up and now you dropped to 6.5k with a 7.2k max spike. There is absolutely no way that gemming is 2k dps loss. You are either making some fundamental error in how you are playing, or your raid comp has changed and you are missing multiple buffs. Honestly, unless you went from absolute ideal 10m to a comp with 0 useful buffs, a 2k dps loss is unlikely. This leads me to believe you are making an error in your play style. Do you have a world of logs for that?

Oh and your poison talents are still off.

There have been some informative (and incorrect) posts in this thread. Listen to Sesshou.

What it boils down to is:
    • Your ArP is low. I know you spent gold on gems already, but I can almost guarantee that you will see an improvement by changing to AP gems and using rupture.
    • Hit is important. If you need to gem for it, do it, just don't got overboard. Try to get close to poison cap.
    • Buffs are everything. Start logging your raids to world of logs and review buffs and debuffs for the encounter. You might be surprised at the buffs you are missing.

Just as a point of reference. I am main spec muti, but switch to combat for certain fights, or when I want a change of pace. Utilizing mostly muti gear with fairly low ArP high AP and high crit, I find I do considerably more dps with a rupture rotation then a evis rotation.

Cheers guys, I'm not sure what it was in that Saurfang fight but I've changed back to AP and a rupture rotation again and everything seems to be working again.
    Also managed to get a little more hit by changing back to the Tier10 shoulders (little downgrade but lost more by wasting gems on hit) for the moment until I can get my hands on some better ones. So I'm now running at 317 which is about as close as I can get it.
    Just about to run VoA so I guess we'll see how it goes 8).

I'll have to look into World Of Logs never used it before.

Oh and I'll get the talent point's changed, didn't notice that in your original post sorry!
    Cheers again.