Getting Started as Ret PvP

I apologize in advance if I have weak searchfu -- I didn't see a helpful topic relevant, and my own off-site searching hasn't helped much.

I'm basically bored and want to start getting into battlegrounds on my Paladin. However, I've never put any effort into PvP and start off with no gear. What I do have is 270+ triumphs and a willingness to learn.

I'll start with my armory -- http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l&cn=Stormdash

The things I come into this wondering are general, but there are a few specifics before I start pouring triumphs into gear, gems, enchants, etc.

1) Other than getting resilience, what is the stat priority? I see pvp gear with hit, but nothing with expertise; must both be capped to be effective?

2) What is the baseline I'm-not-a-flimsy-waste-of-space-in-WG level of resilience? I don't want to just leech honor more than I have to as I gear it up.

3) Is 2pc T10 a must-keep or should-keep for PvP, even at the expense of resilience gear? I remember seeing some such threads when the tier was first announced, but since I wasn't PvPing, I didn't really pay attention.

4) the rest is general -- glyphing advice, gemming, enchanting, any pvp spec specific things worth changing.

Thanks for any help.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Getting Started as Ret PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash
    1) Other than getting resilience, what is the stat priority? I see pvp gear with hit, but nothing with expertise; must both be capped to be effective?

2) What is the baseline I'm-not-a-flimsy-waste-of-space-in-WG level of resilience? I don't want to just leech honor more than I have to as I gear it up.

3) Is 2pc T10 a must-keep or should-keep for PvP, even at the expense of resilience gear? I remember seeing some such threads when the tier was first announced, but since I wasn't PvPing, I didn't really pay attention.

4) the rest is general -- glyphing advice, gemming, enchanting, any pvp spec specific things worth changing.

Thanks for any help.
    1) you need 5% hit. Expertise isnt needed.

2)I wouldnt go below 800 baseline. Thats just my opinion, i'm sure i'll get flamed for it. I currently have 903 and i'm wearing 2 pieces of pve gear, and have no resil gems.

3) I personally use the t10 2pc and seal of command, for both bg's and arena. I like it. I've also seen people successful while not using it. It's really up to you.

4)Gemming: Everything should be str, except the 1 10 stats gem for your meta.

Enchanting: the usual. AP to gloves/wrists/chest/boots. ap/crit to helm/shoulders. 10 stats to chest. zerking on wep.

Glyphs: Judgement is a must have. HSalv is recommended so you can have another defensive CD. 3rd glyph is seal-oriented. Use Glyph of SoR if you use SoR, if you use SoComm, glyph of SoComm is recommended, but can be replaced with something else if you're not having any mana issues at all (which is unlikely with a disc/lock around. Mana Drains FTL)

Spec: you can try mine if you want, i'm at work right now so armory wont work (windows 98 ftl -.-) so i have nothing to say about what you have.
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

1) You need hit, not expertise.

2) Not sure what to say really, it all depends on your gear. Never gem for resi, just let it come through the gear etc. It should be over 900 with 4/5 relentless with OS pieces. Also make sure you're using the Ashen Verdict Exalted ring if you have it.

3) Well I don't use it, isn't needed that much. I just use 4/5 PvP gear, with Sanctified chest.

4) You should gem STR in everything pretty much, works out great.

Glyphs I use are;
    Glyph of Judgement
    Glyph of Seal of Righteousness
    Glyph of Salvation
    Glyph of Sense Undead
    Glyph of Blessing of Kings
    Glyph of Blessing of Might

Enchants are all similar to the PvE ones really, not much difference. Berserking on wep, +10 all stats on chest, +75 AP and +22 CS on legs etc.

Your spec seems fine being honest, but if you were to change something, remove Righteous Vengeance as it isn't really needed. With the 3 talent points you'll have, put them in Improved Righteous Fury. You also don't really need Swift Retribution but that doesn't matter too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash
    I apologize in advance if I have weak searchfu -- I didn't see a helpful topic relevant, and my own off-site searching hasn't helped much.

I'm basically bored and want to start getting into battlegrounds on my Paladin. However, I've never put any effort into PvP and start off with no gear. What I do have is 270+ triumphs and a willingness to learn.

I'll start with my armory -- http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l&cn=Stormdash

The things I come into this wondering are general, but there are a few specifics before I start pouring triumphs into gear, gems, enchants, etc.

Thanks for any help.
    Serryn answered the first few. My pally runs with 1196 resilience(with wrathful weapon).. Most relentless gear plus, full wrathful offset, exalted ICC ring, tiny abom in a jar, the 153 resil medallion, and I swap between Bryntroll and my wrathful sword.
    Spec wise, I'd drop the points in swift retribution, completely a waste for pvp. I would also spec out of Seal of command. I'd put those 4 points remaining into Divine Purpose, and the other 2 points in Unyielding faith.
    2 piece T10 is not worth it.
    The for sure glyphs: Judgement, Seal of righteousness, and then the third is up to you. Salvation is good if you are just running around in bgs and wg, or running some form of double dps in 2s.
    Turn evil is alright, and a few of the others are decent as well. I run with salvation in my third spot though.. Minor glyphs.. sense undead, might, and lay on hands for me.
    Gem full strength.. Use the chaotic skyflare diamond for your meta.. get the WG helm and shoulder enchants.. 10 stats to chest... 50 ap to bracers.. 44 ap to gloves.. 75ap/22crit to pants.. 22 agi to cloak.. berserking to weapon.. to get your meta bonus.. use 10 stats gem and then like a 10str-15stam gem.

dont worry about resilience at first. if you just keep farming bgs, you'll basically get +100 resil whenever you upgrade an item.
    So just work your way up,
    I would recommend getting 2x furious set pieces (head, legs) then use your two t10 (chest, hands) and finally, get your pvp shoulders from wintergrasp for 40 badges (best source for hit).
    while you do that, farm honor and get every nonset piece, in order of whichever pve item is worst.
    here is a list of all pvp nonset pieces, if you wear all of them you will have high resilience, if you wear only a few, then you will have low resilience.
    Try to get other people's opinions on how much resil you should be wearing, the average amount if obviously 1000. It's a simple trade off between Dmg <---> Survivability

Neck ... 52200
    Cloak ... 52200
    Bracer ... 43400
    Belt ... 68200 requires 1300 rating
    boots ... 68200 requires 1400 rating
    ring264 ... 52200
    ring245 ... 26100
    trinket ... 68200
    battlemaster ... 34100