Gems, haste or crit?

I'm thinking about re-geming but I don't know if it's worth it. Is spell power and haste better, or is spell power and crit? Right now in my PVE gear I have (as fire): 874 Haste, 2754 Spell Power, and self-buffed I'm only at like 39% crit. As arcane I'm at 874 haste, 2967 Spell Power and only around 32%-34% crit. Currently I'm mainly stacked for haste, but I'm not critting as often as I like, which helps the DPS a lot.

Just need some guidance and some opinions.

What do you guys stack for?

Re: Gems, haste or crit?

Depends on Spec.

Fire would favour crit
    Arcane would favour Haste.

True. But for instance, I raid mainly Arcane, I use the fire spec for fun. Should I get to a certain amount of haste and then stack crit? I have 874, which I think is a lot, but my Arcane blast's casting time is still 1.9 or so, is it really that worth it?

If you are using fire for fun, and Arcane as your major spec, I would just skip straight to using sp + haste gems, cause your crit is already decent enough to have "fun" with fire.

However if you were going to be Fire major spec, then you would more than likely increase your fire DPS by changing haste gems to crit gems. It's all gear dependant, but if you are only mucking around with fire.. stick to the sp + haste gemming.

10+ Year Old Account

876 haste is not a good number to be at if you're main specced Arcane. The number you should be aiming for is around 1k. I, personally am at 1138 haste.

At this point I'm not really sure what to do though, since I also have 3k SP unbuffed and 31% crit with molten armor...

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.

There is a sticky, you know ? It is calles something like PvE FAQ. There is also a search function.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower
    There is a sticky, you know ? It is calles something like PvE FAQ. There is also a search function.
    I'm not sure if that's supposed to refer to me as well, considering I did read the PvE FAQ and unless I skimmed through that part, it didn't say anything about what to do when you reach higher numbers of haste.

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.

Arcane = stack haste and sp, the crit will come from high-end gear with spiritbased molten armor, also clearcasting procs will boost it with 30% every time that happens. Imo an unbuffed crit of 30-35% is enough.

Fire = don't overstack crit since it won't give as big benefit after a while, a lot of critbuffs comes from raidbuffs and after fully buffed your crit probably should be around 65% (perhaps a few point up or down depending on spells).

conclusion, go for SP and haste for both specs since crits come easier from other sources than haste, and haste is a solid value and not subject to rng like crit.

my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    also, we're not glass cannons anymore, we haven't been for ages. either that or everyone is a cannon, and some are plate cannons.