The key to making pugs work?

Heya again - I'm starting a 2nd 10man raiding team with the aim to make a solid near 25grp. Making the first 10man was hellish. How is it you guys manage to make pugs work? :S Every time we get a pug they take a look at our 5kgs - 5.5kgs on average, laugh then leave. And what is your success in making a majority pug raid work? It baffles me, coz the thought of raiding without friends or on vent is sad but I'm going to have to do it til we get solid consistent players and wanted to know some ways to make it easier for myself. ty!

Re: The key to making pugs work?

On my server, horde side, gs is a thing of ridicule. When I start a pug for let's say a weekly raid, I usually write "Whispers with GS will be laughed at" at the end. I always get a good group that way. I always found that being creative is better than "LFM WEEKLY. 5k GS OR IGNRORE"

Doggie treats.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

The key to making pugs work is solid leadership. Know the fights, use vent, explain the fights concisely and thoroughly, don't wait too long before pulls, don't be afraid to boot bads and replace them asap. Shut people up if they're bitching or think they can lead better, make sure you post loot rules before the run starts so there no dispute.

If people laugh at someone because of their GS they're not worth taking anyway. Gems/enchants are a far better judge of someones skill, as well as the itemization on their gear.

ty for responses. I'm always creative and don't ask for GS or achievements. I like to give ppl a chance and dont mind taking a few mins to explain. Should I make it common practice to do a gearcheck before an invite? I'm totally fed up of liars thinking coz its a main guild run that they can get boosted -.-

everyone has to do their part. no matter how faceroll the instance. rogues, tricks of the trade to the tank and help him with that, tanks, tank, heals, heal. whoever knows the fights explain them nicely. and don't bicker on loot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit1989
    Heya again - I'm starting a 2nd 10man raiding team with the aim to make a solid near 25grp. Making the first 10man was hellish. How is it you guys manage to make pugs work? :S Every time we get a pug they take a look at our 5kgs - 5.5kgs on average, laugh then leave. And what is your success in making a majority pug raid work? It baffles me, coz the thought of raiding without friends or on vent is sad but I'm going to have to do it til we get solid consistent players and wanted to know some ways to make it easier for myself. ty!
    sigh u dont want to use vent? your asking for a fail group for anything not way overly geared for. I expect nothing less than fail from your group so GL. If you want real opinions you know better. You know vent is a must. You know certain gear is a must. You realize achievements are a must. These things people can complain about all day and good luck to you whiners during your next pug.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&cn=Romeolock

Always gear check. But don't just go "Oh, 3k wh, they're good." Just do a quick look at their stuff. Is it a boomkin with the 128 int trinket? Is it a resto shaman with 300 haste?

I generally only take people who show me they try to give their all. +8 stats on the chest, blue quality gems and non-hodir shoulder enchants don't necessarily make me boot them instantly from the raid, but it definitely puts a red flag on them.

3 Rules for a good PUG is

1) Have a strong core of people you know are good, preferably filling roles such as Main tank (other tanks too), healers. Dpsers can always be pugged.
    2) If you do weekly raids, look in every raid if you find any player which isn't in your core that is good, talk to him and ask if he wanna join for weekly raids.
    3) Have a strict leadership and don't fool around too much.

-Good RL who is vocal on vent, explains fights quickly but thoroughly, calls shit out.
    -Pugs will wipe, quick recovery and short afk breaks are very important
    -Diverse group, don't handicap yourself by missing important buffs
    -Like someone said make your pug invite message creative, don't hype gs but make jokes like "know how to interupt" or "know how to switch to portals or kobolds" ect

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit1989
    first off, you're trying to make a team to do 10's, thus in a basic sense it's not a pug. Sure they might be from separate guilds but if you form a 10man team to do content, then hopefully that group is consistent at showing up at designated raiding times.

The 2 keys to make a pug work are:

1) leadership. Raid leader needs to know the content backwards are forwards. Needs to be able to explain it easily and intelligently. Needs to be able to assign tanks, and heals. Needs to be proactive in calling out what needs to be done. 'bone storm in 5 secs', 'adds popping in 5 secs, get to your places', 'xddruid br ynub that stood in fire' (not the ever obvious phrase, can we get a br on someone thats dead' then nothing happens because no one knows who is going to rez and who rezzes who, the raid leader starts screaming at people to battle rez when he failed, and then 4 druids rez the same person). Needs to make on the fly decisions and call them out quickly (ie festergut, range dies and you need 3 at range, he needs to call someone to go out, or you'll wipe fast.)

2) pure unadulterated luck. lets face it, random pugs are random. You can get people in 5.7k gear scores that do 4k dps and you can get those that do 10k, and you can get those that have the achieves needed, and that 5.7k gs and still stand in fire. And then you can have the 4.5k gs toon that can do 5k dps and knows the fights in and out and doesn't stand in fire.

Deleted

1. Guarantee a minimum amount of noobs (by asking for achi and inspecting them)
    2. Invite only people who have some good gear. If you don't ask for an achievement, comare achievements, it works better, because it cannot be faked.
    3. Know everything that will happen in a fight and how people are supposed to handle it.
    4. Know who fails if a dps dies.
    5. Make sure everyone is ready before starting. (also assign tanks/healers/dps to their role in fights like Deathwhisper25)
    6. Don't have sucky gear to begin with.

You should now be with people who know how stuff works, or are at least able to learn the tacs quickly.
    Don't be afraid to invite first-timers if they are geared and have linked the achi on their main. Those people are not noob, they just finally reached the part that another alt can do ICC.

7. Remember people's names (vaguely), especially if they're tanks/healers. Remembering someone "o, I remember....I think he was that great healer from ICC10" is a nice thing.
    8. Be in a raiding guild and bring guildies. (optional)

Edit: ofcourse make sure everyone has tha achievement.

Get people with proper gems and proper GS

I know you will hate me for saying that, but with pugs you cannot go undergeared or you will fail
    But dont focus just on average item lvl, check ppl if they got spirit gems for paladin and stuff like that

edit: and achievment ofc, dont take people that say "this is my alt i got 11/12 hc icc25 on my main", they are lying often

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21
    first off, you're trying to make a team to do 10's, thus in a basic sense it's not a pug. Sure they might be from separate guilds but if you form a 10man team to do content, then hopefully that group is consistent at showing up at designated raiding times.

The 2 keys to make a pug work are:

1) leadership. Raid leader needs to know the content backwards are forwards. Needs to be able to explain it easily and intelligently. Needs to be able to assign tanks, and heals. Needs to be proactive in calling out what needs to be done. 'bone storm in 5 secs', 'adds popping in 5 secs, get to your places', 'xddruid br ynub that stood in fire' (not the ever obvious phrase, can we get a br on someone thats dead' then nothing happens because no one knows who is going to rez and who rezzes who, the raid leader starts screaming at people to battle rez when he failed, and then 4 druids rez the same person). Needs to make on the fly decisions and call them out quickly (ie festergut, range dies and you need 3 at range, he needs to call someone to go out, or you'll wipe fast.)

2) pure unadulterated luck. lets face it, random pugs are random. You can get people in 5.7k gear scores that do 4k dps and you can get those that do 10k, and you can get those that have the achieves needed, and that 5.7k gs and still stand in fire. And then you can have the 4.5k gs toon that can do 5k dps and knows the fights in and out and doesn't stand in fire.
    Most people with a few pieces T10 and 245ish gear shouldn't be a prob. Actually the 200 i.lvl trinks shouldn't be a problem neither...for 10man, for 25man 245+ and maybe a few 200/219ish items is req. I actually had a tank once for ICC10 in 232 gear with 40k hp, 50% avoidance. I invited him and it was a succes (given, he had done it before).

219 chest doesn't sound right, 219 wep doesn't sound right, 219 boots depends on other gear, 219 helm is bad.

If you're not sure: www.wow-heroes.com them.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg
    Get people with proper gems and proper GS

I know you will hate me for saying that, but with pugs you cannot go undergeared or you will fail
    But dont focus just on average item lvl, check ppl if they got spirit gems for paladin and stuff like that

edit: and achievment ofc, dont take people that say "this is my alt i got 11/12 hc icc25 on my main", they are lying often
    Make sure you don't know their gearscore, or ignore that info. But if you're learning what GS 200-gear is and that for every lvl you can roughly estimate stuff and use GS in a right way, but imho, inspect anyway.