Idea for camo mechanic

I was drinking my coffee this morning thinking about cata changes for hunters.. and started wondering how camo was going to work... and a great idea hit me

Camo should have a mechanic like stealth while we are tracking hidden, but have 100% detection at close range. in other words, at distance, the hunter in camo cannot be seen at all. like a stealthed person; but at close range, the hunter becomes visible and targetable; thus attackable.
    it would be like everyone has "track camo"(for lack of a better term)

I think this would be a fun mechanic. and its already in the game so it would require very little on the technical end.. what do you guys think?

Re: Idea for camo mechanic

So, lemme see if I understand this.

Say I'm in WSG, and I'm standing at the door of the base near the Graveyard, and a Hunter is by the Graveyard, I wouldn't see him while he's under the Camo effect, but once I got say 15 yards away, I'd be able to see him, and he'd just appear to be in like Stealth?

If so, that'd be cool.

Deleted

It wouldn't be anything other than stealth, since the Hunter has no reason to let an enemy come near him. I mean all hunters just attack as soon as the enemy comes in range. If what you want is stealth around and cap flags in BGs, roll a rogue.

Say I'm in WSG, and I'm standing at the door of the base near the Graveyard, and a Hunter is by the Graveyard, I wouldn't see him while he's under the Camo effect, but once I got say 15 yards away, I'd be able to see him, and he'd just appear to be in like Stealth?
    Yes, this is pretty much what I was talking about but maybe not quite 15 yards, since the hunter is only vunerable to melee or aoe damage; the hunter would be immune to ranged damage since he wouldnt be targetable, and since dealing or taking damage breaks the effect. the current stealth mechanics would work, we would just need a passive that gives us bonus damage when attacking from camo.

Camouflage (level 85): The hunter enters an obscured state that prevents him or her from taking ranged damage. The character would still be subject to melee or area-of-effect attacks, and dealing or taking damage will break the Camouflage effect. The hunter can move and set traps when under Camouflage, and will receive a damage bonus when attacking while under Camouflage (which will then break the effect).

I think the whole purpose of Camoflauge is because when you're vs other Hunters or ranged, you feel really exposed with nothing but a 5 Second Bubble to protect yourself (If your in a BG with little to no LoS) and have no choice but to have a DPS Battle until death.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    I think the whole purpose of Camoflauge is because when you're vs other Hunters or ranged, you feel really exposed with nothing but a 5 Second Bubble to protect yourself (If your in a BG with little to no LoS) and have no choice but to have a DPS Battle until death.
    But that's a battle I usually win =p

I'd be VERY surprised if you can use camo in combat. I don't think they intend it to be an "oh shit" button anytime a ranged class attacks you.

I have a feelling that if we can use it in combat it will be similar to mage's invis, three sec fade that gets canceled by damage. They seem to be leaning more towards it being a big opener though.