Gemming For My Oomkin

Ok, Ive gone and read through EJ on boomkins and pretty much have everything right so far acoording to EJ. I have my hit cap, I have my haste at around 400 and gemming all 23 spell power (except for 2 blue gems and an orange for +7 SP)

Now, I have been getting told from various sources that are not EJ that I should gem all Orange (SP / Crit) and it would put my DPS higher than it already is. Currently with my gear I have gone upwards of 6k DPS in 5 mans. Average around 4k - 5k.

I have already searched for information on this but I am getting nothing but old topics and I am not sure if i should go based on those. So I would like a definitive answer, Should I keep gemming the way I am or go for SP/Crit Gems.

Here's My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Maiev&cn=Mtlol

"When I'm Sad, I Stop Being Sad And Be Awesome Instead."

Re: Gemming For My Oomkin

This thing bump?lol

crit and haste are close if you have both capped, try rawr, spreadsheet or wrathcalcs

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster
    crit and haste are close if you have both capped, try rawr, spreadsheet or wrathcalcs
    He's not even remotely close to crit cap :P

Anyway, gem SP+crit in any yellow socket... including single +5sp ones.
    Using a 23 SP gem in a yellow slot that would give 9 SP just confuses me... 23SP vs 21SP+10 crit

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoe
    He's not even remotely close to crit cap :P

Anyway, gem SP+crit in any yellow socket... including single +5sp ones.
    Using a 23 SP gem in a yellow slot that would give 9 SP just confuses me... 23SP vs 21SP+10 crit
    I agree with this. Also, get rid of nevermelting ice crystal and get the sundial of the exiled. Much better trinket and will get you closer to the crit cap.

Yeah. Im farming heroics for sundialed. I hit 80 less than a week ago so =P. Also to be sure. SP / Crit gems on JUST the yellow sockets? cause orange ones fits both red and yellow. For example my gloves, they are correct I assume since it isn't a yellow socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzy
    Yeah. Im farming heroics for sundialed. I hit 80 less than a week ago so =P. Also to be sure. SP / Crit gems on JUST the yellow sockets? cause orange ones fits both red and yellow. For example my gloves, they are correct I assume since it isn't a yellow socket.
    No matter what your gear looks like, +23sp is ALWAYS going to be our best gem by itself. However, when we're given an opportunity to gain a few more stats by using another gem, +23sp can be beat by adding in a socket bonus.

+23 ALWAYS in red sockets. Sp/crit in yellows that give at least +5 sp until the crit softcap, then sp/haste after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzyb
    No matter what your gear looks like, +23sp is ALWAYS going to be our best gem by itself. However, when we're given an opportunity to gain a few more stats by using another gem, +23sp can be beat by adding in a socket bonus.

+23 ALWAYS in red sockets. Sp/crit in yellows that give at least +5 sp until the crit softcap, then sp/haste after that.
    Ty. I appreciate it xD

If you get something you'll be using for a long time (like t10 pieces), you might aswell gem it for longterm purposes anyway ( sp and sp/haste). You'll not be able to hit the soft critcap in 5mans anyway, since you'll usually be missing some of the buffs the soft cap is based on. Besides, 6k dps in 5mans is nothing to scoff at.

I mean, nothing wrong with min/maxing but sometimes its more of a question of cost. Resocketing from haste to crit only to reverse it again a week or so later when you get enough crit otherwise would be a pretty big waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirual
    If you get something you'll be using for a long time (like t10 pieces), you might aswell gem it for longterm purposes anyway ( sp and sp/haste). You'll not be able to hit the soft critcap in 5mans anyway, since you'll usually be missing some of the buffs the soft cap is based on. Besides, 6k dps in 5mans is nothing to scoff at.

I mean, nothing wrong with min/maxing but sometimes its more of a question of cost. Resocketing from haste to crit only to reverse it again a week or so later when you get enough crit otherwise would be a pretty big waste of money.
    i did this with hit on my warlock, just gemmed the better pieces for the long term (sp/haste in my case) instead of going for +hit gems and as i replaced the weaker pieces i got hit from gear, and I saved myself a fortune in gold

Elitist Jerk's actually tells you to gem Ametrines in yellow sockets, I don't know what EJ page you were looking at. =P
    (http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t66856-m...dated_3_3_3_a/)

Socket gemming is simple..

Red: Runed Cardinal Ruby
    Yellow: Potent Ametrine / Reckless Ametrine after crit capped.
    Blue: Runed Cardinal Ruby / 2x Purified Dreadstone to activate META.

And yeah, from heroics, Abyssal Rune/Sundial of the Exiled are the best two trinkets availible.

Deleted

Recycling posts. I litterally just posted this in another thread, but it is very relevant here:

Your general gearing concerns should be:

- Hit cap
    - Soft haste cap (401)
    - Soft crit cap (42% fully raid buffed, idol running, etc)

Once you reach both haste and crit cap, haste and crit are worth more or less the same, with a slight favor to haste. At 36,83% crit and 811 haste unbuffed, 1 point of crit rating is worth ~1,2 DPS and haste is worth ~1,37 DPS. So the difference is minimal. You would want to get gear that gives you both, where it is possible.

And, as for gems, you gem for what you need. If you are below the soft crit cap, use SP/crit in yellow sockets that give you 5 spell power or more from the bonus. Once you go above soft crit cap, go back to gemming SP/haste in yellow sockets.

I thought balance druids didn't go OOM anymore @@ Stop calling them OOMkins!

Deleted

The only time a moonkin will go out of mana, is if he is generally low on crit. I get some 80% of my mana regen from crits, making every cast nearly free. I don't recall going below 90% mana on most fights.

From T9 upwards, you should only run out of mana if you a) die b) AoE lots(no mana back from AoE-Crits, unlike during the 3.0 pre LK-phase(OOM? AoE, and you're back to full)) or c) are stupid and run around outside of 'kin.

This is without ninirvate.

Yeah my mana sits at 95%+ almost all the time, the only times it's lower is when I have to cast Hurricane a lot ourside of Clearcasting, or when I am battle rezzed.

So basically in ICC the only time mana can become a concern is Dreamwalker from AoE on the Surpessors/Rot Worms - but usually I can proc a clearcasting and it's not a concern. ;D