Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Anyone else slightly disapointed with new hunter abilities?

The number of apologists in this thread is somewhat disheartening, and to say this is a "late" complaint is actually weird to even suggest. The beta has not started. How is this in any way "late"?

The fact that the new abilities are useful or different in any way doesn't change the fact that they are wholly uncreative.

Steady Shot is Steady Shot no matter what kind of damage it does. If one spec makes one do more damage than the other, we use that. There was no need at all whatsoever to add a new ability as distinctions could be made with talents, such as a deep BM talent that makes Steady deal nature damage. They essentially wasted an opportunity to give us an actual new ability.

Trap launcher is a concept that is currently in game, but for one trap. You all do realize that with the removal of Freezing Arrow, we'll have no launchable traps once the Cataclysm patch goes out, right? We'll have to level up to get back functionality we already had. Again, this is a horrible way to "give" us something "new." Trap Launcher IS a good ability, but its implementation is bad. It should replace Freezing Arrow as the level 80 ability. We should get a NEW ability from leveling up, not have an ability TAKEN AWAY and then given back later with slight improvements.

Camo is decent. It's like the new abilities for other classes, niche use but interesting and unique. Most classes got 2 interesting abilities like this and most got all 3 as new functionality.

Imagine if instead of giving Rogues a way to transfer combo points once per minute, they'd given them "Cobra Strike" which does the exact same thing as Sinister Strike but deals nature damage. Is transferring CPs amazing? No. Is it useful new functionality that adds depth to the class? Yes.

All that said, I do have a lot of hope for amazing talented abilities. The priest preview talent example "Chakra" was awesome and is exactly the type of creative stuff I expect to see for us (especially with a new focus system). None of that hope makes it pointless to complain about totally lame abilities though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahren Kaa
    Instead of making an entirely new spell, why not simply add a talent that would, say, make Steady Shot ignore armor? Besides, it's already possible to hit the ARP cap, so technically, the spell is already in game. Yipee.
    ArP is going away as a stat and will be present as a talent for MM, however we dont know what will be the armor reduction values there. There is no ArP cap in Cata. So for MM Cobra might or might no be better on "unsundered" tagets, for SV and BM (as a signature shot) it surely will be better.

Just imagine positioning yourself properly to begin with. Situational at best. Half of this spell's use is already in game, and it's called frost arrow. Snore.
    Hunter in melee range (to put down a trap under the mob´s feet) is bad positioning to begin with. If you need to lay a trap, you need to get to the place and get from the place (Disengage). There are 5 traps in game, one of them can be shot to distance already, that is no even remotely one half. Freezing trap doesnt have much utility in raids because it shares cooldown with much more useful Frost trap. So raiding wise, nothing is in game now. Also Explosive trap is beautiful for adds

The big difference here is that your resources will last for 2-3 shots, then you'll have to rely on your regeneration with possibly rather large gaps in between thereafter, as opposed to, say, 40. We don't know numbers, and that, of course, was a supposition. Do I have to spell out supposition for every-- k.
    1) As opposed to 40 shots? Did you mean 4 shots? if you meant 4 shots, which were they? Arcane and Aimed as BM? Chimera, Aimed and Arcane as MM? Explosive and Aimed as SV? That is 3 at most (Stings are not shots)
    2) Will last for 2-3 shots....Even if we dont know the exact numbers, are you going to kite naked? Are you going to wear gear completely without haste? Are you going to skip talents that reduce shot cost? Are you going to kite it without Viper sting? Are going to dismiss all raid haste buffs? If yes, problem is not in game design

Quote Originally Posted by Adyssa
    The number of apologists in this thread is somewhat disheartening, and to say this is a "late" complaint is actually weird to even suggest. The beta has not started. How is this in any way "late"?

The fact that the new abilities are useful or different in any way doesn't change the fact that they are wholly uncreative.

Steady Shot is Steady Shot no matter what kind of damage it does. If one spec makes one do more damage than the other, we use that. There was no need at all whatsoever to add a new ability as distinctions could be made with talents, such as a deep BM talent that makes Steady deal nature damage. They essentially wasted an opportunity to give us an actual new ability.

Trap launcher is a concept that is currently in game, but for one trap. You all do realize that with the removal of Freezing Arrow, we'll have no launchable traps once the Cataclysm patch goes out, right? We'll have to level up to get back functionality we already had. Again, this is a horrible way to "give" us something "new." Trap Launcher IS a good ability, but its implementation is bad. It should replace Freezing Arrow as the level 80 ability. We should get a NEW ability from leveling up, not have an ability TAKEN AWAY and then given back later with slight improvements.

Camo is decent. It's like the new abilities for other classes, niche use but interesting and unique. Most classes got 2 interesting abilities like this and most got all 3 as new functionality.

Imagine if instead of giving Rogues a way to transfer combo points once per minute, they'd given them "Cobra Strike" which does the exact same thing as Sinister Strike but deals nature damage. Is transferring CPs amazing? No. Is it useful new functionality that adds depth to the class? Yes.

All that said, I do have a lot of hope for amazing talented abilities. The priest preview talent example "Chakra" was awesome and is exactly the type of creative stuff I expect to see for us (especially with a new focus system). None of that hope makes it pointless to complain about totally lame abilities though.
    Thank god, someone who finally understands my point, and managed to phrase it in a simpler way, complete with examples, which apparently, proves to be needed around these parts of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adyssa
    Steady Shot is Steady Shot no matter what kind of damage it does.
    Perhaps you would be surprised to see the difference of Steady shot damage on fully armored target and Steady shot damage on target with close to 0 armor (or Cobra Shot). The difference maybe 100% but most probably even more.

I am going to wait for Beta at least, and see what shapes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepfriedegg
    Perhaps you would be surprised to see the difference of Steady shot damage on fully armored target and Steady shot damage on target with close to 0 armor (or Cobra Shot). The difference maybe 100% but most probably even more.
    Who cares?

This circumvents my point entirely. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad ability. I am, however, trying to emphasize the fact that it is the most boring ability ever created. It is literally "the same as steady shot but does nature damage." That is how they described it (I'm paraphrasing of course).

It does not add depth or even interesting dynamics to a fight. If I am specced BM, I am assuming, from THEIR explanation, that the talents will bolster it enough so that it is always used. I also suspect that Steady will remain the signature filler for MM, and that talents will bolster it in a way that makes it always used.

These are not interesting choices to me. In BM spec, I'll have Cobra Shot on my 3 key. In MM spec I'll have Steady on the 3 key. In both specs, they function exactly the same, as the go-to button for focus regen.

I might have Cobra shot on another key in MM spec for shooting at adds that pop up, but is that interesting gameplay? Isn't that just reframing it as "the Steady Shot I use on adds"?

Interesting gameplay would be an ability that puts up our own version of the major Armor debuff for 20 seconds but has a 1 min cooldown. That way we could pop it on an add right at the switch, but still not have it be viable for keeping a debuff up on a boss long term. As in, we'd have a major armor debuff with no ramp up time, but it is limited in total uptime, whereas warriors and rogues have to ramp up to full armor debuff (rogue builds combo points to do theirs and warriors stack sunders), but they can keep theirs up full time when needed.

I suggest to talk about this in official forums =) so they'll make "cooler" abilities.
    BTW, do not think those new changes and abilties are final, we have a long plenty of time to cataclysm, so everything might chance completely. will see =)
    Moonguardi, 80lvl balance/resto druid
    Rolzun, 80lvl Frost dps/Blood tank DK
    Raiffol, 80lvl elemental shaman pvp
    Rolkundo, 70lvl pre-bc BM hunter
    Raifol, 70lvl Arms warrior
    Sairasta, 60lvl twink DK

i lol'd at the first line.... don't expect 100% armer pen on physical dmg abilities in cata.

Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Quote Originally Posted by yaij9841
    i lol'd at the first line.... don't expect 100% armer pen on physical dmg abilities in cata.

I lol'd at your first line... in fact, the only line. You're worthless. Thanks for also seeing the obvious, Adyssa. Trap Launcher is the worst of all three. Cobra will pass, since it'll probably also be used with SV, due to the elemental damage bonus it gets. But meh indeed.

IMO...Hunter traps were hit by the nerfbat...why...cuz freezing arrow had a cd of 30 seconds, whereas trap launcher has a cd of 1 min. I think that's really unfair :< Also, in pvp our main damage is gonna be from the abilities that will eventually leave us with 0 focus, and if the opponent has some way of absorbing damage *coughpriestlockpallycorrodedskeletonkeycough*...then get ready to see ur screen full of "Not enough focus".

10+ Year Old Account

Cobra Shot - Redundant. That already exists, and it's called Steady Shot without nature damage.
    Trap Launcher - Redundant with Freezing Arrow, and highly situational, unless traps somehow find their way into rotations.
    Camouflage - Depends upon how reliable it is. Can ranged AoE spells hit? Do thrown weapons / wands count? Etc.

EDIT: Kiting may suck with the new focus. They should make Steady Shot / Cobra Shot usable on the move!
    trap redundant ? how about Immolate Trap = free LnL for SV ?

People always expect everyone to use exactly every new ability that comes out.

People who are looking down on Cobra Shot however are saying that Beast Mastery spec shouldn't be made viable for anything.

Solution: go into beta and give them mindful, thoughtful feedback and make them want to change it.

I stopped playing my hunter because focus sounds like a terrible idea (Not a fan of the rogue play style). So in my humble opinion, boring changes are the bottom of your concerns. How about fear they'll break your class?

Im just gonna prolly lvl a boomkin now...arcane/nature UI...and solerbeam..hehe

2/3 of the abilities are ones they tried in the past, it only makes sense that they did it this time around with the technology they've now developed to implement them better.

Also, the idea of having Steady/Cobra off a cast time and available on the move is bad, according to GC in a post awhile ago. Something about WoW shouldn't feel like a FPS where you're constantly moving. (If someone could get the exact quote, I'd appreciate it)
    Thank you to Serrin for the signature!
    PC Stuffs: i7-4790K | Z97X-SLI | 16GB DDR3-1866 | GTX-780 | 256GB Samsung EVO | 1TB WD Blue | SuperNOVA 650 Gold | Fractal r4 Blackout | Dark Rock Pro 3

10+ Year Old Account

Slightly doesn't sum it up for me

When a wild forum troll appears

Quote Originally Posted by M1kra
    People always expect everyone to use exactly every new ability that comes out.

People who are looking down on Cobra Shot however are saying that Beast Mastery spec shouldn't be made viable for anything.
    "Beast Master's Steady Shot - 41 pt talent" - Reduce the cast time of your steady shot by 0.2/0.4/0.5 and allow it to ignore up to 33/67/100% of the target's armor.

Tada, same god damn spell for BM, without the fuss and shit that comes with a new shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Naplam
    Also, the idea of having Steady/Cobra off a cast time and available on the move is bad, according to GC in a post awhile ago. Something about WoW shouldn't feel like a FPS where you're constantly moving. (If someone could get the exact quote, I'd appreciate it)
    Do You Pvp At All?

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Solution: go into beta and give them mindful, thoughtful feedback and make them want to change it.
    Practicing my tongue here.

Oy, headsup about Camouflage: my warrior's got an ability called spell reflect, which reflects ranged spells(camo doesn't specify spells, so it's probably attacks too? Idk). I haven't tested it out myself lately as I mostly use it to stop incoming lava bursts and CCs, but I know that there's several spells qualifying as targeted although they're AoE. For a period, although this was fixed, shaman's thunderstorm would be reflected, and I don't know how this is today, but mages ended up being frost nova'd.

Also, volleys, as in shadow volleys(think multi-shot), are considered targeted spells and not AoE, even though the boss just chucks out a bunch of shadow bolts hitting those in range, which would mean hunters wouldn't need to be healed during those kinds of encounters as they wouldn't take damage.

Just a headsup on what might be the case, spell might not be as bad as you thought.
    10 char req. - because explaining is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarghol
    Oy, headsup about Camouflage: my warrior's got an ability called spell reflect, which reflects ranged spells(camo doesn't specify spells, so it's probably attacks too? Idk). I haven't tested it out myself lately as I mostly use it to stop incoming lava bursts and CCs, but I know that there's several spells qualifying as targeted although they're AoE. For a period, although this was fixed, shaman's thunderstorm would be reflected, and I don't know how this is today, but mages ended up being frost nova'd.

Also, volleys, as in shadow volleys(think multi-shot), are considered targeted spells and not AoE, even though the boss just chucks out a bunch of shadow bolts hitting those in range, which would mean hunters wouldn't need to be healed during those kinds of encounters as they wouldn't take damage.

Just a headsup on what might be the case, spell might not be as bad as you thought.
    I think many of us understand those types of uses, but that makes camo sound a whole lot like Deterrence (at least in a raid setting). It sounds redundant to me.

Still, that's one of the abilities I like. It sounds like there may be some fun things we can do with it.