Thread: Staff Question

Staff Question

Hi

First of all, this is my toon:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ne&cn=Khansuhr

As you can see my current staff is,

http://www.wowhead.com/item=50429

I also have http://www.wowhead.com/item=49992 which I used and enjoyed a lot till getting the new one.

Problem is that, although Archus seems superior to Nibelung in every aspect according to Rawr, I still feel like Nibelung is doing a better job, especially in encounters with some adds and no AOE over raid.

What I am curious about is that, if some of you have similar thoughts on Nibelung. I dont know if the procs get bonus from the ICC buff or not but when i look at the combat log, I can see that the Valkyrie Guardians hit around %7-%10 of total dmg, which is pretty nice. I know it is proc based but does that 130 haste/Spirit(%1.7 crit)/SP bonus on Archus can close the gap or not, that 's a question to be answered.

I also have some other items to switch to more haste or more crit without loosing the hitcap like:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=50008
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=50785
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=51007
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=51584
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=47092

Do you think any of these may help Archus scaling better?

BTW I use rawr a lot, but i just do not think it models Nibelung correctly for fire. Especially in a ICC like enviorement.

As i said before, I am curious about your opinions.

Thanks for your contributions...

Re: Staff Question

nibelung is next level fun, if it's a margin of only a few dps, then screw rawr and enjoy a kick ass proc. i have a better mh/oh combo, but i still use nibelung, because it's not every day you get a staff that summons sexy angel chicks to smite your foes. also, it rips new assholes in pvp.

you must not be doing any sort of major hardmodes... but for middle of the DPS meter 6 boss 25man ICC pugs go for it. anything that is a DPS loss is not gonna be accepted if your in a decent progression guild

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Thalazyrican
    you must not be doing any sort of major hardmodes... but for middle of the DPS meter 6 boss 25man ICC pugs go for it. anything that is a DPS loss is not gonna be accepted if your in a decent progression guild
    Yeah, clearly the OP does 6 boss 25 man ICC pugs every week, but one time s/he got lucky and the PUG cleared through LK and s/he won the staff because the rest of the casters and healers use heartpierce for the mana regen.

OP: It's really hard to compare things like that. I suspect that your staff is a much larger bonus than Nibelung, due to the increased spell power and stats. Granted, that staff is really better itemized for a healer (without 2pt9, spirit is a subpar stat), while presumably Nibelung is balanced to be equivalent to hit/crit/haste on a staff.

I think Rawr is slightly underestimating the Valkyr damage, but not by a large enough margin for it to catch up to the LK staff. Rawr says the Valkyrs do 27008 damage, but some quick math on Putricide for last night (the only fight I did as Arcane, and I don't have Nibelung in my fire set for hit rating reasons) showed mine doing 34525 damage on average. It could be the result of debuffs on the target? But that's more than 13% (Curse of Elements) + 3% (Arcane Empowerment) extra damage; it only crit 3 times out of 76 so crit de/buffs didn't really affect the numbers; and haste doesn't affect them (their ability is a 1.5s cooldown). Granted, 4 valkyrs isn't really a good sample size, but I think the 27% difference is enough to raise an eyebrow at.

Currently Nibelung is abut 300 Rawr DPS behind the LK staff for me. Adjusting the Valkyr damage up to 33000 only gave it an extra 100 DPS boost in Rawr.

Although, I do want to note that the Valkyrs were only about 3% of the total damage for me. 7-10% sounds a bit high...

15+ Year Old Account

a proc doesn't equate to a 7 ilvl drop.

as fun as it may seem, the LK staff is the better option and will yield better results. in the end, i can guarantee you will have more fun seeing your name creep higher and higher up the DPS charts than you ever did watching valkyr smite something and die.
    BfA Beta Time

Thanks for the anwers. Tonight we did ICC and I used the LK staff. Results were a bit higher compared to Nibelung (Without The %15 buff).

I believe that there may me some fights that favor Nineblung over Archus, especially fights with adds and low aoe damage. One thing I will try to calculate will be, how many procs I will need to close the gap between Archus and Nibelung in an islolated enviorement.

For now, Archus seems like the way to go but i think i will be one of the first people going for heroic version of Nibelung in my guild.

Anyway thanks for the answers, I will try my best to take those middle rows in the dpsmeter for 6 boss pugs i will attend in the future =)

15+ Year Old Account

taking heroic nibelung over a boomkin is like taking candy from an ethiopian baby: they're already hurting, but now you're just being a dick.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    taking heroic nibelung over a boomkin is like taking candy from an ethiopian baby: they're already hurting, but now you're just being a dick.
    We have only one moonkin and of course he will get it before me, thats why i said "one of the first" =)

Amnezia

i´d go for the LK staff

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    Thanks for the sig! ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolour nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

stupid question: do the heroic nibelung valk'yrs do more damage than the normal one? or are just the stats better?

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    stupid question: do the heroic nibelung valk'yrs do more damage than the normal one? or are just the stats better?
    Yes they hit more, but not that much. As long as I know, the valkyrie hit for 1591-1785 damage and crit around 2386-2677 in normal version and about 300ish more with heroic version.

BTW last night we did an hour of tries with a guildmate. I used Arhus, he used Nibelung. Our gearing is not that different (I have better trinkets, he has full T10.5 etc). Ofcourse training dummy scores do not give realistic results but what I was curious about was the proc rate.

The procced beasts hit around %10 (Minimum of %4 - max of %23) of his total dmg in average with full mana pool burn. In the other hand because of living bombs splash dmg, the proc rate should be lower in a raid encounter. Also aoe effects the valkyrie a lot, so in combats like BQL something that has pure stats may do better.

Nibelung is certainly an interesting weapon. My personal opinion is that, especially the boost from %1 to %2 is a bit much and in some fights the procs scale more than it was originally intended.

Archus should still do better but it is not a "hugeeee" upgrade over Nibelung IMO.

15+ Year Old Account

it is, don't worry.
    BfA Beta Time