Poll: Would you like to see concept of Public Quests in WoW?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: PQ in Wow ?

PQ in Wow ?

Inspired by http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...hammer-online/, i was wondering if you would like to see concept of Public Quests in WoW.

In short, public quests are one of features of Mythic MMO Warhammer Online. You participate by entering area where public quest takes place. This area isn't instanced, it is part of map where everyone levels, and you can enter solo or in party, depends which you prefer. EX. public quest "Save the lake" has 3 stages. On stage 1 you have to kill 100 toads and you have unlimited time. On stage 2 you have to kill 5 elite Battletoads and you have 15 minutes for that. On stage 3 you have to kill miniboss Mastertoad and you have 5 minutes for that. After stage 3 is complited (or time runs out on stage 2/3) there is 5 minutes reset timer where public quest resets back to stage 1.

After you complete stage 3, everyone gets points for contribution (500 for 1st place, 450 for 2nd and so on). That points are added to random roll between 1 and 999. EX. our quest "Save the lake" has 4 rewards (1 golden, 1 silver and 2 bronze loot bags). According to how much points you have, you are awarded chest (or maybe not). Also if you complete same PQ many times in row, you get extra bonus to your points, so you are more likley to get chest in the end.

There is also option that PQ can contribute to your reputation with specific faction in that are.

At the end, i'm not promoting Mythic or Warhammer online, just concept of public quests, which is great idea IMO.

Additional links
    http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Quest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipFfT3RiNKs

15+ Year Old Account

Re: PQ in Wow ?

Sounds something like the Skyguard event at Bash'ilr Landing in Blades Edge (although this isnt technically a quest).

Just a mini event which happens every once in awhile which took a group to complete successfully, which really added some flavour to the game since it was something different.

If thats kinda what you meant about Public Quests, id be all for it, especially if the rewards are worth it.
    Dreadmaul US Horde - "Dragonsworn of the Bronze Flight"

15+ Year Old Account

I like the concept of the Public Quests, but having them non-instanced makes me think they would be an incredibly tedious event. It is like the Wrathgate final quest. It is a public event on a timer for when it starts. If you did it when WotLK was new there were 30 people there doing it and the quest was a blast as it only took 10 minutes or so. If you did it in the last year chances are you had to solo it and it took damn near an hour. If the public quest system was to be on timers depending on the stage of the lake event it would be just terrible for anyone who is arriving late or if only one group can be completing it at a time (ring of blood). The event structure seems fun, but only if it is completely independent of other players or groups.

If they are anything like Warhammer's, then NO.

The idea is a cool one, but it has some fatal flaws IMO. The biggest of which is zone population. In Warhammer, public quests usually offered greater rewards and experience than solo quests, but you needed large groups of players to complete them, sometimes running multiple times to accomplish all of the goals (i.e. you arrive at the PQ while it's in progress, you will have to go through it again from the beginning to complete it).

Now lets apply that to WoW. Let's say they added public quests in Wrath too, for arguments sake. So when wrath first comes out, zones like Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra are over populated, full of people racing to level cap (and even for some time after the initial race). This makes completing public quests easy and fun, and gives the leveling experience more of a multiplayer feeling than normal quests do. Now, let's fast forward a few months down the line, when most casual players are at level cap and so are some of their alts. These zones are under populated, and there will pretty much never be enough people around to complete the public quests.

Put it this way, imagine if you needed 20 or so people to complete the Wrath Gate quest line in Dragonblight. It would be easy to do in the first weeks of the expansion, but as time goes on nobody would be able to do it anymore, without the assistance of a high level friend (for example the ring of blood type quest chains, but even worse).

@Hypernetic

In WOTLK you already have this issues with all group quests in high level areas which require 3+ people to finish (i'm talking about quest that are labeled as 5 man). Nowadays even in high populated servers, people tend to skip more rewarding quest chains and head straight to heroics for better gear. How many times have i seen people looking for help with icecrown group quests while mining... Introducing PQ wouldn't change situation anyways. In WoW terms, PQ should be on same difficulty as 3 to 5 man quest, except maybe hard ones which would require 10 people max, or some epic ones for 15-ish people.

Actually there are 2 similar concepts in WoW already for this. On very large scale, you have war efforts for war of shifting sands (where small personal effort is for greater cause), and small scale you have nagrand/zul'drak arena which isn't repeatable though, but involves going through several stages for end prize. I'm more for small concept type.

Imagine repeatable nagrand/zul'drak where end price isn't always blue item, instead it's 80% time green, 20% blue and you can repeat it.

PQ should never, ever, be mandatory, instead it is nice addition to leveling expirience + chance to get some good loot outside the instances.

Number PQ per zone should be 2-3, most of the time they should be on smaller scale so 2-3 people can complete them, there could be some epic ones that require more people to complete.

I played warhammer briefly and never really cared for the public quests... i am sure this is where you got the idea from.

Cylon's Warcraft Blog - News, guides and more! Come join my community.

Deleted

I hear public quests are in Warhammer already. LETS TRY PLAYING THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall
    @Hypernetic

In WOTLK you already have this issues with all group quests in high level areas which require 3+ people to finish (i'm talking about quest that are labeled as 5 man). Nowadays even in high populated servers, people tend to skip more rewarding quest chains and head straight to heroics for better gear. How many times have i seen people looking for help with icecrown group quests while mining... Introducing PQ wouldn't change situation anyways. In WoW terms, PQ should be on same difficulty as 3 to 5 man quest, except maybe hard ones which would require 10 people max, or some epic ones for 15-ish people.

Actually there are 2 similar concepts in WoW already for this. On very large scale, you have war efforts for war of shifting sands (where small personal effort is for greater cause), and small scale you have nagrand/zul'drak arena which isn't repeatable though, but involves going through several stages for end prize. I'm more for small concept type.

Imagine repeatable nagrand/zul'drak where end price isn't always blue item, instead it's 80% time green, 20% blue and you can repeat it.

PQ should never, ever, be mandatory, instead it is nice addition to leveling expirience + chance to get some good loot outside the instances.

Number PQ per zone should be 2-3, most of the time they should be on smaller scale so 2-3 people can complete them, there could be some epic ones that require more people to complete.
    Then you wouldn't be doing a public quest at all, at least not how they've been defined so far in MMOs. What you are saying is the equivalent of me running past someone doing a quest and stopping to help them kill some mobs, without inviting them to a group (i.e. wait for them to tag stuff, then kill it).

The idea of a public quest is that everyone in the area participates, if it is doable by 2-3 people, then it would be completely trivialized by having 10-20 people like you normally did in Warhammer.

Like I said, I think it's a cool concept, but I don't think it works very well in practice. I'd rather see more Wrath Gate type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian
    I hear public quests are in Warhammer already. LETS TRY PLAYING THAT
    I heard the person playing Warhammer has nobody to group with doing those public quests. Even if you join him you'll need some more people.

Sounds like the instance-quest thingies from dragonica online, and probably a million other asian RPGs..

Seeing as how people act in random dungeonm BGs and WG, then NO!

Silithus has Abyssal quests where u summon a series of mobs, ending with a miniboss
    Terrokar Forest has a similar series of quests ending with a mini-boss

the drops are worthwhile, although take quite some time and effort to set up

this what ur talking about?

I am all for any new ideas that can be brought to the game and implemented properly, but the Valroth quest in the DK starting area is already sort of like this and it is a PITA to kill him - and you need to do so to progress through the entire chain - unless there are a number of other people around. He is too solid a villain to be soloable, and if someone else kills him the head is still available once he is down. So I just hang about the Scarlet Hold grinding crusaders (and skulls) and if I hear someone starting the event I nip down and pick up the head once it's finished.

If they could be done without making them 100% necessary to progress in level - like most quests really are anyway - then yes, I'd be all for them. But if clumsily done like the above quest, then they would be more of nuisance than a delight if there are fewer people on.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall
    <big snip here> Battletoads <big snip there>
    <comical off topic comment>
    Best. Game. Ever.

BRB calling GameStop for a copy
    </ comical off topic comment>
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.