Poll: How many stickies are too many?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Sticky Poll - How many is too many?

The question is basically "Should we bring back the old sticky layout". This would be quite a few stickies, but I've noticed that since we've removed the Tree-specific threads we've had more and more of the same questions being asked, such as "Top DPS" or "Help with <Random Tree>". The "All possible stickies" layout would include the following:

Affliction PVE
    Demo PVE
    Destro PVE
    Macros
    Fix My DPS
    Leveling
    UI's
    Cataclysm

If you have a different idea, post it. This poll will be up for a week. Thanks for contributing.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Sticky Poll - How many is too many?

And yes, I'm aware of the irony in stickying a poll about the volume of stickies. Visibility is what matters here.

R.I.P. YARG

As many as needed, these forums have quite alot of threads per page so it's not distracting as I see it

You could have 1 sticky, that links to all the others. As long as it was well organized would be a good place to direct those needing help.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Conquestaxe
    You could have 1 sticky, that links to all the others. As long as it was well organized would be a good place to direct those needing help.
    No! If people don't see the exact thing they're looking for they will not click a sticky to read some more sticky. They'll just click the "New thread"
    Put lots and lots of sticky. Written in BIG letters. And Red! Maybe that way people won't ask the same stupid/idotic question over and over again and read something for more than 5 seconds.
    What was i talking about?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I don't know... I think we had enough until this one popped up. o.O
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

15+ Year Old Account

My polloption seem to be losing, I demand this is settle in court. I suspect a rigged voting imo.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I think the amount we have now is about right, but a few more could be added: just take a look at the questions that keep getting asked over and over again and make those stickies for the forum.

I do think it was nice to put all the PvE stuff into 1 sticky, but it also means we got 40x new posts a week asking the exact same questions, because nobody saw the direct links.

Never too much reading material.
    Have you ever wondered about if your mom ever kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob?

You are now.

Fewer if possible. Particularly noteworthy posts can be linked in a collaborative post similar to the one that's already existing.

A PvP sticky would be great aswell.
    TotalBiscuit: Hitler was a joke compared to me!

10+ Year Old Account

Leveling is the only one that I find "meh"
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Fewer if possible. Particularly noteworthy posts can be linked in a collaborative post similar to the one that's already existing.
    We really liked this idea, but unfortunately an awful lot of people either don't register that sticky, or it's not clearly labelled or something, and we tend to spend a lot of time trying to tell people it's there, which kind of defeats the purpose. Any suggestions on how to make it clearer that this is the 'go to' sticky for general class questions would be welcome.

Remove all the stickies, link them in a collaborative post, then sticky that 20 times.
    Have you ever wondered about if your mom ever kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob?

You are now.

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney
    We really liked this idea, but unfortunately an awful lot of people either don't register that sticky, or it's not clearly labelled or something, and we tend to spend a lot of time trying to tell people it's there, which kind of defeats the purpose. Any suggestions on how to make it clearer that this is the 'go to' sticky for general class questions would be welcome.
    I can definitely see this as an issue, but isn't that a problem with all sticky posts? It really isn't going to matter if you have 3, or 15. People will still skim past them, or post without even looking at other posts at all. The only time this doesn't seem to be the case is if mods take on a very hardcore approach, as seen with the EJ forums. There are stickies, but those are basically board wide stickies that tell you how the site works. Effectively every post on EJ that is not 'sticky worthy' is deleted (and most likely the user banned). Until that's done all having excess stickies does is take up space.

15+ Year Old Account

When we had a PVE Affliction/Demo/Destro sticky, there were... lets say 1-3 posts per day in each.

Since we unstickied and linked to them instead, there has been 1 post per week in them.

R.I.P. YARG

But how many of those posts were from people who were asking for help, and how many were general discussions, or mechanics discussions? How many 'needs a FAQ' posts were made in comparison? The point of stickies is to be helpful and reduce superfluous posting, not to get lots of replies. Shouldn't you be comparing based on how well they do their job, instead of how many people post in them?

I think you should just make a big freakin topic like:
    [size=10pt]WARLOCKS READ THIS IF YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF QUESTION REGARDING YOUR CLASS BEFORE POSTING IN THESE FORUMS.
    [/size]
    Make links to all the stickys and add them up in this post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-wa...8all-specs%29/

Well that's my thought anyways.

Edit:
    Yeah so basically make the topic name a bit easier to understand for those who are new and aren't surfing forums that often, since it's mostly those who need the help and are making new posts asking the same questions that's already answered.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    But how many of those posts were from people who were asking for help, and how many were general discussions, or mechanics discussions? How many 'needs a FAQ' posts were made in comparison? The point of stickies is to be helpful and reduce superfluous posting, not to get lots of replies. Shouldn't you be comparing based on how well they do their job, instead of how many people post in them?
    You're right. I don't have numbers on duplicate posts, but I do know that they have gone up substantially since we unstickied. I can't wait for the forum upgrade.

In regards to post counts: remember that there are 4 different ways to learn - many people can handle the traditional methods of trying it themselves or just reading the information, but there is a substantial amount of people who need to talk it out. While they can read and understand the concepts, it just doesn't register until they can have a discussion about it. This is what we were seeing in the faq posts - people talking it out so that others can see the discussion and take that to heart.

R.I.P. YARG

Well then if they're gone up substantially, then that's all the reasoning you'd need. If the point of stickies is to reduce clutter and help people learn and the old setup did that better than the new setup, then the old setup was better.