A paladin's muse.

Why can I wield a sword, but not a dagger? Is that indicative of my cooking proficiency in handling smaller, sharp tools? Will I not be able to cut fruit? If I cannot, by means of skill, utilize a dagger in combat, surely I can hold one in my hands for status benefits?

Why can I wield a polearm, but not a staff? Is the lack of the pointy end detrimental to my balance? Can I not just hold it as a walking stick to benefit from its stats as well? Am I cursed to a wheelchair in old age because staves elude me?

Why can't I tie a dagger to a staff, and wield both together as a polearm then?

Just some silly thoughts that keep coming back to me ;D

Re: A paladin's muse.

Because you touch yourself at night

Seriously though: loot balancing. You already have 1-h and 2-h Swords, Axes, Maces, as well as Polearms and shields/other OHs. Let's give you daggers, staves, fist weapons, and why the hell not: take bows, wands, and thrown weapons too. Bunch of other classes already roll against you, don't need more. (I know I was upset when a prot pally wanted to roll on Seethe the first day new ICC 5-mans came out for his holy set when I needed it on my Mage)

/thread

as you DID manage to down festergut, your problem is probably not your dps - its your dps uptime.

teach your dps to maximize their dmg uptime, learn how to position the boss so that the abomination can do dps AND the melee dps can switch instantly from boss onto green slime.
    think ahead when dpsing, so you have maximum output

Guys, guys, its just a muse~
    Yeah, I know Warcraft is a magical, fantasy game and all that...
    I just found it funny how why, not just paladins, some classes are excluded from weapons that they shouldn't have any problems wielding.
    Kinda like how warlocks and mages wear swords, but not maces... and priests use maces, but not swords. All are clothies, it's definitely not a matter of strength. You could say it's just not their style.
    So is it out of a paladin's character to use a dagger or staff? Both are actually exceedingly common weapons in fantasy games; the usual starter weapons before you can get better stuff.

Anyone else have any musings?

Quote Originally Posted by maquiladora
    as you DID manage to down festergut, your problem is probably not your dps - its your dps uptime.

teach your dps to maximize their dmg uptime, learn how to position the boss so that the abomination can do dps AND the melee dps can switch instantly from boss onto green slime.
    think ahead when dpsing, so you have maximum output
    Who in the what now? Sure you're in the right thread?

You are not trained to fight with it. Fighting with a dagger is requires different combat techniques than fighting with a sword. Same with staffs. Lorewise you could equip a dagger or a staff, just not fight with it. Ingame you can't equip it for gameplay reasons... because what's the point if you can't fight with it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bluepencil

WIN!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Drowli
    /thread
    Second opinions bro...

... they are helpful.

My opinions: loot balancing and because you use daggers differently to swords.
    Daggers are like stabbystabstabbrostabstabbingpokestab
    Swords are like fwooshbooshfwooooooshclangfwooosh nyugh
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Happy Funtime Rainbow Unicorn Power, Ultra Force Yay!
    Second opinions bro...

... they are helpful.
    When i Posted, the first part of my text dissapeared -and i didnt feel like writing it all over again, so i just left it /thread :

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Drowli
    When i Posted, the first part of my text dissapeared -and i didnt feel like writing it all over again, so i just left it /thread :
    ... w-what... is this... lazy ass... shit!

Totally cool bro.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus
    Because you touch yourself at night

Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Happy Funtime Rainbow Unicorn Power, Ultra Force Yay!
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

15+ Year Old Account

My opinions: loot balancing and because you use daggers differently to swords.
    HAHA, awesome.

Training. This is the reason that makes the most sense. We are untrained in these weapons. If you are untrained in the proficiency of a weapon, why even bother getting one? Even if you could hold this weapon or carry it around, you would be at a disadvantage if you needed to jump into combat. Carrying a weapon you have no skill in is not wise.

The reality is that loot distribution is important. Everyone being able to use every weapon would cause lots of issues.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    Training. This is the reason that makes the most sense. We are untrained in these weapons. If you are untrained in the proficiency of a weapon, why even bother getting one? Even if you could hold this weapon or carry it around, you would be at a disadvantage if you needed to jump into combat. Carrying a weapon you have no skill in is not wise.

The reality is that loot distribution is important. Everyone being able to use every weapon would cause lots of issues.
    Well, I did mention I wasn't really talking about the game balance/loot distribution part of it already... but lets just go into that a little. I'm saying that I understand Paladins & Death Knights (am I missing any classes) can't train to use daggers due to weapon balance, loot distribution and other issues. But that shouldn't stop them from equipping and holding them, right? Anyone should be able to hold a dagger to like... cut bread and cheese or something mundane like that.

Right now it's perfectly normal that DKs don't use daggers. The stats are awful to them, so they stay away. Doesn't really make sense that a mighty DK hauling huge 2-handers can't hold a dagger in his hand too. Likely to be unable to cut fruit, like the paladin.

Incidentally warriors can use daggers too, but don't. The stats are awful to them too. But why can they still use daggers? Because they're supposed to be weapon masters and can use all weapons (except for wands), whether they're useful to them or not. So this is like a bit of class-based lore coming in.

Prot and Ret paladins don't use daggers. That makes sense because the stats are awful. Holy paladins, on the other hand, benefit from spell daggers. They won't touch DPS daggers, no benefit there. If you look at loot distribution, Holy paladins are the only casters to have only 2 viable weapon types.

Just to quickly run through the other caster classes and their weapons:
    Warlock / Mage - Staff, dagger, sword
    Priest - Staff, dagger, mace
    Druid - Staff, dagger, mace, 2H mace, polearm, fist weapons
    Shaman - Staff, dagger, mace, 2H mace, axe, 2H axe, fist weapons

There's also a lamentable lack of scythe weapons in the game... technically they should be polearms, but the few scythes that appeared are classified as staves, probably to allow casters to wield them. Bring back the scythes!

Quote Originally Posted by bluepencil
    Epic win your a genius
    A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

I cry when a spellpower dagger drops, and all the casters already have something better. There isn't a whole lot of good spellpower maces/1h swords out of there. They should make a 2h sword like staff sometime :P
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US