Undocumented 1% nerf to Warrior stamina scaling?

Just for fun, and to determine for myself what the base health and scaling was for warriors and pallies, I collected a small sample of players I knew in-game from the armory, recording paperdoll stamina and total health. I removed 275 health from those with the chest enchant, since that amount is not reflected in the stamina number, and tacked on unmodified at the end.

These are the data points I collected --

Paladin: (3905,45804); (3417,40924); (2736,34114); (3756,44314)

Warrior: (3732,45261); (3304,40981); (3780,45741); (3842,46361)

I ran these through a least-squares program to avoid doing a lot of arithmetic (and to easily confirm whether or not the data was exactly linear), where y is health and x is stamina. Also keep in mind that when you look at the formulae, talents are not reflected in the slopes, because the percentage effects of talents are already reflected in the paperdoll stamina number itself.

Both regressions resulted in a correlation coefficient of exactly 1, which means that the data is perfectly linear.

Paladin: y = 10x + 6754

Warrior: y = 9.9x + 8278.64

Now the point of posting here, getting a slope of 9.9 instead of 10 exactly looks very suspect in the warrior regression.

This isn't possibly the result of any kind of statistical error in the data set, because the line is not approximately fitting the data, the correlation is perfectly linear.

Also the size of the difference feels too large to be the result of any kind of roundoff error. For example, if a warrior tank has approximately 3000 stamina, the difference between a slope of 9.9 and 10 is comparable to an entire stamina gem (not counting talents).

EDIT: This is all for naught! There's an error in the warrior formula I originally posted. The real formula is -

y = 10x + 7941

This does however explain why the health pools always end in 4's for pallies and 1's for warriors.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Undocumented 1% nerf to Warrior stamina scaling?

K.

Aspiring paramedic

And they were all the same race yes?

Taurens get stam bonus
    miners get stam bonus
    you did the math wrong

All could throw off your results.

15+ Year Old Account

Curses! You have foiled Blizzards attempt to document class by the last digit of their health pool!
    And they would have gotten away with it too!

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account

Paladin: y = 10x + 6754

Warrior: y = 9.9x + 8278.64
    Because the scaling should be the same so that a warrior has a 1.5k health advantage through every teir.

Also, I could not follow your math, mainly due to you black boxing way to much stuff. If you want people to believe, you need to explain the math, and show it done.
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

before talents are factored in your health is (unless you are a tauren)...

((Stamina-20)*10)+20

Since the first 20 points of stamina are only worth 1HP.

To determine base health, you need to know the base stamina for paladins and warriors, to do that, strip em naked, and clear their talents. (and be prepared to remove the Mining bonus)

Quote Originally Posted by mypally
    Because the scaling should be the same so that a warrior has a 1.5k health advantage through every teir.
    This. It's also hard to consider something a "nerf" when your own math shows that warriors have a significant health advantage already. A lot less Stam but more health than a Pally = nerf? I don't think so.

Least Squares regression is riddled with variables, statisticians hate variables. There are too many variables and without the computations to see if the variables were correlated to the data, one cannot conclude anything.