Arena Points - How are they decided?

I've recently starting doing some 3v3, and we are at 1.2k rating. I've started noticing that when we win, even against a really good team, we get 2-7 points, but when we lose, even against a 900 rating team, we lost 20 points and they gain 40+ nearly all the time.

It's starting to get extremely frustrating, and I was hoping someone here can shed some light on how the are given out? What decides how many you get?

Any help would be awesome.

Re: Arena Points - How are they decided?

The calculation for points awarded and lost at the end of each arena match is quite complicated, but for the most part can be simplified as a comparison of your matchmaking rating (MMR) vs. your opponent's MMR. The greater the disparity in the two team's MMR, more points a team stands to win/lose.

If your team is at 1800 MMR and plays a 2k MMR team, you stand to gain a ton of points from a win and lose hardly anything if you lose since the system expects you to lose against them.

If your team is at 1800 MMR and plays a 1600 MMR team, you stand to gain only a few points from a win and lose a lot of points if you lose since the system expects you to beat them.

What complicates this is that if your team rating is far away from your team's MMR, the system will skew the point gains/losses to push those two numbers closer together.

That is why teams starting out at a 0 rating will gain lots of points from wins and lose nothing from losses since their MMR is presumably way higher than 0. This will continue until their team rating approaches their MMR at which point the gains/losses will normalize and approach their expected values given the system above.

Adding new players to the team will also skew their MMR away from their team rating since the team MMR is an average of all player's personal MMR.