Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Research on World of Warcraft

I am conducting some research for a college class about World of Warcraft subscribers and the characters they create. If you could please take the time to complete this short interview, it would be greatly appreciated. For this interview please choose one character that you have made to answer the questions below.

Interview Questions

Player Info

Sex: Male/Female

World of Warcraft Character Info

Name of Character:

Sex of Character: Male/Female

Faction: Alliance/Horde

Race of Character:

Class of Character:

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]?

Why did you create a [race of character]?

Why did you create a [class of character]?

Did you model this character after yourself in any way? Yes/No
    Why or Why not?

Does your character's name have any significance?

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way?

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen)

Were you comfortable creating a character and dealing with these sorts of characters?
    Why or Why not?

Re: Research on World of Warcraft

It's impossible to glean any kind of meaningful data or conclusions from posting a quiz on a public forum. You suffer from response bias by default. People who choose to reply to this thread are not necessarily representative of all WoW players.

Player Info
    Sex: Male
    Character: Wiriamu
    Sex: male
    Faction: Horde
    Race: Tauren
    Class: Druid
    Why Horde? I like the idea's behind the Horde better then that of the Alliance.
    Why Tauren? I like playing the odd man out for my races.
    Why Druid? I'm a mutt and have six different blood lines, three of which have a history in Druidism or the Native American culture. That and I like being a jack of all trades. besides so much fun to be stealthed then unleash hell on someone =3
    Character Modeled after your self? Only the name and idea behind the character.
    Name any Significance? Yes, Wiriamu is Japanese for William, meaning the protector.
    Were you confused when creating a character? Not this character, already did that when I attempted an alliance character long long ago.
    Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? Yes a little bit, read into it more later on though.
    Were you comfortable creating a character and dealing with these sorts of characters? I am happy I made a race and class that on my server is not that common making it all the more valuable in a group for PvE, or PvP =3
    How many times must I tell you, FIRE BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by tobyps
    It's impossible to glean any kind of meaningful data or conclusions from posting a quiz on a public forum. You suffer from response bias by default. People who choose to reply to this thread are not necessarily representative of all WoW players.

this.

10+ Year Old Account

To be fair, there aren't many other ways to gather this kind of information. The data is still valid provided you state the population you got it from?
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

10+ Year Old Account

basically this^^^ but i am bored so i will take your quiz

Name of Character: mayikillu
    Sex of Character: male
    Race of Character: tauren
    Class of Character: hunter
    Why did you choose to create a horde?
    Well my fried that got me started plays horde and they just looked way cooler so i picked them. no regrets 2 years later
    Why did you create a tauren?
    well like most little kids that play this game, i picked the big hairy thing. plus, without any knowledge of game mechanics, i figured a 2 second stun cant be all that bad
    Why did you create a hunter?
    i thought it was the best class that represented myself. i love animals but i hunt and fish and do all that cool stuff
    Did you model this character after yourself in any way? Yes
    Why or Why not?
    idk i figured id make him a little bit like me. other than the whole thing with being in tune with animals, i dont have any similarities to my character
    well, i was creative and thought i was real cool giving my character a name asking for permission to kill you. i figured this was a pvp based game and that id run into alot of alliance
    no
    Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen)
    yes. as i mentioned above, i liked the thought of a 2 second stun
    Were you comfortable creating a character and dealing with these sorts of characters?
    Why or Why not?
    haha well i regret making one of the most common classes in the game because i think it fails to make me unique or valueable to raids but at the same time, i am unique because i am one of the few on our server who can play the class really, really well

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing
    ----------------------------------------

Bored...so why not?

Interview Questions

Name of Character: Runé

Sex of Character: Male

Race of Character: Orc

Class of Character: Death Knight

Why did you choose to create a Horde? I was initially Alliance, but it seemed to be filled with many immature people, that and they seemed to suck in BG's. Not much has changed, but I look a lot cooler now

Why did you create an Orc? Because they look bad ass....and they are the best dps race on the Horde side.

Why did you create a Death Knight? The class was new, and I liked the ideas and info that had been released about them

Did you model this character after yourself in any way? No
    Why or Why not? It's a game! I just want my character to look cool, after all I have to stare at it for hours on end!

Does your character's name have any significance? Not really, took the name from an old friend who stopped playing before I made the DK

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? Wasn't confused, was a bit of a veteran by this point.

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? I've read pretty much all of the class info, from the instruction manual to stuff posted on this site. So...yeah =)

Were you comfortable creating a character and dealing with these sorts of characters? Yes
    Why or Why not? I'd already played the game since release, so I was very comfortable with the game by this point.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sunstrider&cn=Run%C3%A9

Player Info

Name of Character: Deathawaitss

Sex of Character: Female

Race of Character: Undead

Class of Character: Death knight

Why did you choose to create a Horde?

Originally was Alliance, which I like much more then Horde, but I transferred Horde to raid.

Why did you create a Undead?

Undead females look the best in plate armor IMO, and Orcs Trolls and Tauren are ugly.

Why did you create a Death Knight?

Was looking for a tanking class when Wrath came out and re-rolled from my Warlock who was my main throughout BC.

Why or Why not?

My character is a chick, and I am a guy.

Deathawaitss, he who stands in my way will not be standing when I am through with him!

No.

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character?

Nope.

I never regretted re rolling Death Knight in WRATH though I do wish they didn't suck as much in PvP compared to other plate classes.

Player Info

Name of Character: Muto

Race of Character: Blood Elf

Class of Character: Priest

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? Friend

Why did you create a [race of character]? Friend

Why did you create a [class of character]? Healer

Why or Why not? It's a game

Does your character's name have any significance? It means to change/alter in Latin

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? No

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) No, my friend told me to roll a priest because they could heal

Were you comfortable creating a character and dealing with these sorts of characters? Yes
    Why or Why not? I don't understand the question so I just said yes

15+ Year Old Account

Player Info
    Sex: Male/Female male

Name of Character:

Sex of Character: Male/Female Female

Faction: Alliance/Horde Horde

Class of Character: Paladin

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? Well my very first char was actually alliance back in vanilla. I wasn't too crazy about them. Why? I noticed that alliance (at least on the realm i was on) were too young and immature...and pretty incompetent. Mabe back then that was the case to a certain extent. But now you get the same type of crowds on both sides. Not to mention i wanted to play a shaman. I really loved the class and at heart... when i used to play WC: 2 and WC III (rts) i was always horde. And since then i never really looked back at alliance.

Why did you create a [race of character]? For the most part it was because they were the only ones that had paladins lol. OH THE IRONY. Not to mention, when i read into their lore and seeing its background, i actually liked it alot. So here i am (blood elves)

Why did you create a [class of character]? Was stuck inside on light duty in the office cuz i got hurt. And i managed to hack past the companies firewall...or find a way around it, and watched this sick pvp vid of this ret paladin on youtube. I instantly fell in love with it. Didn't want to be alliance so chose BE naturally. This was back in burning crusade..halfway through its expac there abouts, season 2 had just begun.

Did you model this character after yourself in any way? Yes/No yeah i did in a way
    Why or Why not? I liked how obscure, unpopular the ret paladins were at the time. The fact that there were hardly any to be seen, and the ones that had skill really did shine. Kinda reminded me of how i was in various aspects. Now? well...no comment

Does your character's name have any significance? Actually my char's original name was Soleia. I chose that because well paladins' theme was that everything was from/through the work of the light. Solei or in one part of its form or another means sun or light. so yeah..but name's changed since then.

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? When i first started back in Vanilla i definitly was. Its part of the reason why i had chosen alliance instead of horde at first. My brother is the one who begged me to get it and roll as a hordie. And then i finally did after he bitch slapped me when i told him what i originally had done lol. He dont play anymore of course...go figure.

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) yep....hunter seemed cool..which is y i chose it. then when i seen a shaman workin his awesome shit during an epic tarren mill/ss battle, i was like, holy hell i want to play that class. Lasted 6 hours that battle. Wound up not goin to work the next day cuz of it lol. So read up a little bit on the class and steam rolled into it. Still have it...i had two shamans at that time. but i got rid of one of them right after bc release, and still have my original.

Why or Why not? The whole thing was a different experience. In all honesty this was my first mmo experience.

"If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

Male
    Geldore
    Male
    Alliance
    Dwarf
    Paladin
    Alliance because dwarves are the shit.
    Dwarf because dwarves are the shit.
    Paladin because tanking is EZmode with them.
    Not modeled after me.
    I was not confused. I knew from experience that paladins are easier to play, having seen mah bro play one, and playing a 80 warrior tank.
    I did not read the class info on the side.
    Geldore was something i found on the internet, looking up dwarf names from stuff like LoTR and other fantasy stuff.
    Was i comfortable making this paladin? Yea i just bought this $120 dollar chair for $90 at office max, fuking amazing cushioning and quiet tiltyness.

Quote Originally Posted by astgelais
    Interview Questions

Player Info

Sex: Male/Female Yes please. (Male)

Name of Character: Tomcruse

Race of Character: Tauren

Class of Character: Shaman
    Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? Faction transfer. Friend played alliance so i rolled alliance. Transferred because said friend wanted to transfer. :S

Why did you create a [race of character]? War stomp is op.

Why did you create a [class of character]? I enjoy shaman.

Why or Why not? Well, it's a cow. I am a human. He throws lightning bolts, i throw... stuff.

Does your character's name have any significance? Not really. I'm famous on my server though.

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? Not really.

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) Nah. I already knew what a shaman was and what they did. This isn't my first character.

Why or Why not? Err, wha?
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

World of Warcraft Character Info:

Name of Character: Zarios

Sex of Character
    : Male

Race of Character
    : Orc

Class of Character: Shaman

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? Primarily alliance when I first started, 11 years of age, switched to Horde when I met some nice players who were like me.

Why did you create a [race of character]? At first I was troll, because no one else would be one.

Why did you create a [class of character]? Windfury.

Why or Why not? Well, it would be rather sad if I looked like a troll in real life.

Does your character's name have any significance? Yes

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? Yes, who were the bad guys?(11 years old).. lol.

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) Yes, I even listened to the intro when creating one.

Were you comfortable creating a character and dealing with these sorts of characters? Yeah
    Why or Why not? It's just a game?

Player Info

Name of Character: Syatek

Race of Character: Orc

Class of Character: Hunter

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? Horde is much cooler than Alliance, seemed like the Evil guys at the time

Why did you create a [race of character]? Originally I was Troll because I liked the tusks lol, faction changed to Orc because I liked the animation and the gear better on them

Why did you create a [class of character]? I like Hunters because I prefer ranged DPS and dont like casters a lot, and pets are awesome

Why or Why not? I dont look like an orc, not green lol

Does your character's name have any significance? No

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? Not really I was like 12 when I made it so I just tried to make it as cool as possible

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) Nope, my friends told me about the classes before I got the game

Why or Why not? It was fun

Player Info

Name of Character: Royal

Race of Character: Blood elf

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? Some weeks before Wrath launched my guild disbanded, so I decided to migrate to my friend's server where my brother is also playing at. I was alliance before that.

Why did you create a [race of character]? Blood elves are the only paladin class atm for horde.

Why did you create a [class of character]? I've always played paladin class(even back in the day of DnD 8)). The lore around the class is interesting. Wielding a gigantic hammer is also a big plus

Why or Why not? I don't enjoy playing a character that looks just like me.

Does your character's name have any significance? Not really. I was struggling with a name,then I saw a bottle which had "Royal" on it, so I gave it a try.

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? Nope. Class & race descriptions were just fine back in the day.

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) Only the part where they explained the racials

Why or Why not? Yes. It's a fantasy mmorpg, so there are bound to be fictional characters.

Deleted

Interview Questions

Player Info

Name of Character:Robinhoodexe

Sex of Character: female

Faction: Alliance

Race of Character: Night Elf

Class of Character: druid

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? wanted to play Druid, my friends play alliance, so night elves was the only option

Why did you create a [race of character]?see above question

Why did you create a [class of character]?love the shapeshifting, the lore and the whole Druid thing, aka keeper of nature and such

Did you model this character after yourself in any way? Yes/No Why or Why not? nope, picked the most beautiful

Does your character's name have any significance? well, I would like something unique

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way?I wasn't confused, rather impressed cuz of the awesome graphic and interresting gameplay

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen)yeah!!

Why or Why not? yep

Hope it helped

Player Info

Sex: Female

Name of Character: Martine

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]? Always favored Horde over Alliance; their lore is more interesting.

Why did you create a [race of character]? Because Blood Elves were the only Horde race that could be paladins.

Why did you create a [class of character]? Partially because the character was originally meant to be based off of a D&D paladin I'd played, partially because two other people I knew were making paladins so we could level as a group.

Why or Why not? Nope, character was originally based on a D&D character, and then evolved into a unique WoW character.

Does your character's name have any significance? Not really.

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? Nope. Seemed pretty straightforward every time I've made a character, from day one to today.

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) Read them all the first time I created a character, and when the new races/class came out, haven't glanced at them since.

Why or Why not? Yes, had been roleplaying for a while, both online in talkers and in real life in tabletop games, so this really wasn't all that different.

Player Info

Name of Character: Sinclaires

Race of Character: Undead

Class of Character: Warlock

Why did you choose to create a Horde character? I am originally a Horde and i love Thrall

Why did you create a Undead? cause its a Undead, and Undead got awesome racials

Why did you create a Warlock? warlock is easy to level and very good in pvp, but i hate rogues....

Why or Why not? cause its a girl

Does your character's name have any significance? yes... its a name of a character from my favorite game, (FFXIII FTW)

Were you confused when creating a character? If so, in what way? no, she my 4th character

Did you read any of the race/class brief write-ups while creating your character? (they are located on the left of the screen) yes, that's how i learn about my racials

Were you comfortable creating a character and dealing with these sorts of characters? yes
    Why or Why not? i like warlock class.... but i got killed by rogues easy

rofl there's been like 20 hordes and 2 alliance so far, I guess horde players read mmochamp more than alliance? and yeah, horde pwnz BGs

10+ Year Old Account

Interview Questions

Player Info

Name of Character: Muzy

Race of Character:

Class of Character: Tauren

Why did you choose to create a [faction of character]?
    Because all my friends where playing horde when i started playing WoW

Why did you create a [race of character]?
    Coz its the only race class combo for now with druid

Why did you create a [class of character]?
    I thought it would be an interesting class ;D

Why or Why not?
    No, because i don't really look like a tauren irl

No

No

Yes

Why or Why not?
    yes
    "Don’t focus on the one guy who hates you. You don’t go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog shit."