Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Strange affliction rotation and more dps

Hello all, i was in icc25 the other day with 3 aff locks, our gear was smilier not a big diff,
    But this one lock was always 1-2k more dps then me and the other lock, so i asked him what rotations he used.
    and he said, i always used corr - coa - ua - haunt - shadowbolt/drainsoul.
    I dunno if it was cus his gear was abit better, or we were doing something wrong.

Do any of you know more about this, or maybe have done some tests?

Re: Strange affliction rotation and more dps

Might just be he had more uptime on his dots got more shandow bolts off.

15+ Year Old Account

It's about skill as well. There is a standard rotation and it's the proper one. Some people are just better at playing. Some things that make one player do more damage than an equally geared/specced might be among other things:

Well planned lifetaps
    Not clipping
    Planning movement for least possible downtime and limit possible falloff of dots
    Having a good setup to track 4 set bonus procs, eradication, gear procs etc
    Can be small things like prepotting, stacking spyglasses
    etc etc etc

Can be all sorts of things, small ones but if bunched up properly together they can be a world of damage
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

What's your rotation as affliction?

Also if he/they are preloading spyglass w/ hellfire it jacks your dps on a meter so unless your clearing it b4 every pull i doubt that is it.

15+ Year Old Account

Learn to read.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account

uuuuuuu Grats Bakis!
    On Topic: what Bakis said!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

15+ Year Old Account

Ty, ty When can I expect you guys joining me?

Oh wow grats on LK 25 kill Bakis!

Joining you...erm. We just killed him in Normal...so...at 30%, sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by 420rogue View Post
    rawrrrr, i decided to make a new toon and now i can't get into the game....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyth View Post
    this is the dumbest person i have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis
    Learn to read.
    Actually i think it's you that needs to learn to read.

so i asked him what rotations he used.
    and he said, i always used corr - coa - ua - haunt - shadowbolt/drainsoul.

I can't be curious as to what his rotation is?

Kk thanks

We don't have a rotation, we have a priority. So he told us the things he keeps up, and very seldomly will it ever be cast in the same order.

He's keeping up the right things, but without looking at a log, we can't know how well.

. . .
    The point still stands, he gave us info on the other guys playstyle, and not on his own. Why are people acting so confused about someone asking what his is? Honestly? Really, the fact that people are failing so hard to understand the obvious, simple question just baffles me.

15+ Year Old Account

When you look at someone's damage, especially someone who is higher than you, always look at the number of casts. He might have gotten off 10 more shadow bolts than you. He might have had more ticks of Corruption (indicating higher uptimes) or fewer hits of the Immolate DD part (indicating less clipping). He might have had more ticks of Drain Soul (indicating paying attention).

He also could understand the class mechanics better than you, such as maintaining Shadow Embrace 3/3 on the main target or knowing when it's ok to put up dots or haunt on an non-boss target.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Emonglock
    Also if he/they are preloading spyglass w/ hellfire it jacks your dps on a meter so unless your clearing it b4 every pull i doubt that is it.
    I said learn to read cos you missed the point of my posts. Anyone can play affliction, what make a player GOOD at it is if he or she handle all the details as well.
    Good micromanagment = more damage / more dps. It's simple.

If I'm to guess the OP got the basics of the playstyle but were simple not as good as the other lock of taking all the small things into account, being procs or flighttime of Haunt whatnot.

He also could understand the class mechanics better than you, such as maintaining Shadow Embrace 3/3 on the main target or knowing when it's ok to put up dots or haunt on an non-boss target.
    Also this, it's always easiest to spot a good afflition warlock on a fight with multiple targets. Multidotting (but not letting maintarget dps suffer) is what will produce kickass results. More uptime on eradication, 4set bonus etc will increase the damage on the maintarget as well.
    This can be abused tho by someone aware of this who deliberatly ignore the prio on the maintarget by focusing adds too much just to inflate his numbers (LK is a good example of this).

Damage done / DPS addons are a good tool but it can be abused pretty easily as well so one should always be aware of it and look a bit more in detail than just the total dps or damage done

15+ Year Old Account

Agree with Bakis - some people play to make the meters look good, others play to kill bosses. It's easy to tell them apart if you know what to look for.

R.I.P. YARG

Yeah, there are many ways to manipulate meters.

Its important to want to always improve, and asking others (like the OP did in his raid) is a great way to do so...but understand that recount isn't always the best judge of skill.

"This can be abused tho by someone aware of this who deliberatly ignore the prio on the maintarget by focusing adds too much just to inflate his numbers (LK is a good example of this)"

what does this even mean?

how is padding numbers possible on a fight? did they completely get their example backwards?

just a humble assumption, but LK must have mechanics that

1) create adds not important enough to attack, and should only be off tanked and ignored by dps

2) either provide some kind of extra damage gain when attacking adds OR
    2) the main target has damage reduction that the adds do not

3) there is some random mechanic that causes main target to be less manageable, such as random aggro drop, dot wipes, or phase changes that cause temporary windows for dps on the main target, but the off targets do not have these mechanics for some reason

15+ Year Old Account

DoTing the inconsequential adds in P1 and the Vile Spirits in P5 rather than taking down LK himself or Shambling Horrors. Inconsequential adds are for bouncing the plague around (they die on their own) and Vile Spirits should be killed by Seed or not killed at all.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account

yea.

Lets say u have a boss (A) and he got an add (B), A obviously need to die but B can be ignored.
    As affliction lock you can put corruption and UA on B, those 2 will do more damage together than if those GC's would be spent on shadowbolts on A.
    So if you put dots on B you would get more damage done and DPS, damage and dps that is useless since B didnt need to get any dps on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Agree with Bakis - some people play to make the meters look good, others play to kill bosses. It's easy to tell them apart if you know what to look for.
    This exactly...

I did both last night =p

and btw no such thing as an affliction rotation.... its a set of priorities

Internet connection may also play a significant role in similar situations.