Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why can't I install WoW???

I've been trying for around an hour now to re-install WoW (I quit and uninstalled it about 2 years ago) but my Blizz downloader is stuck at 10%.

I've bee cruising around multiple sites to try and figure out what's going on and most tell me to run the launcher as an administrator, which I have done, or figure out my firewall settings to allow it to download...whenever I try to get it to download I just shut off my firewall.

I'm running Windows 7/64-bit and I have a McAffee security centre acting as my firewall.

Anyone out there have any insight as to what the problem could be and/or what I can do to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated because I just really want to get back to playing finally :P.

edit: The patch I'm trying to download is "WoW-3.2.0.10192-to-3.3.0.10958-enUS-patch.exe"
    If a shaman tells you that he can't tank, he's just not doing it right.

Re: Why can't I install WoW???

disable your firewall. that ussualy is the problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Synwyn View Post
    My first raiding guild, way back in Vanilla WoW - Kaywarrior was our DPS warrior. After a billion Nef kills, Ashkandi finally dropped. He jerked off on vent. Literally jerked off while keyed in. Best moment ever.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorGuides
    Your security program may also have an option where you can allow certain programs even with the firewall up. But yeah, firewall is the first thing to check.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorGuides
    Thanks, but yeah I sadly already tried disabling my firewall and it's still getting stuck at 10%...ugh.

15+ Year Old Account

Make sure that you run the patcher as admin. I know this was the cause for Vista I am not sure if it still does it for 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Xombo
    edit: The patch I'm trying to download is "WoW-3.2.0.10192-to-3.3.0.10958-enUS-patch.exe"
    Well if you are doing a fresh instalation you are not on WoW-3.2.0.10192 but WoW-1.0.xxxxx, your missing ½ the program( game ).
    You must install first vanilla wow then tbc then wotlk to get you from WoW-1.0.xxxxx( vanilla wow ) to WoW-2.0.xxxxx( tbc ) to WoW-3.0.xxxxx( wotlk ) And then patch from 3.0 to 3.3.0
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

Are you sure it's stuck? Maybe you are just downloading slowly. It is also a huge patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GISP
    Well if you are doing a fresh instalation you are not on WoW-3.2.0.10192 but WoW-1.0.xxxxx, your missing ½ the program( game ).
    You must install first vanilla wow then tbc then wotlk to get you from WoW-1.0.xxxxx( vanilla wow ) to WoW-2.0.xxxxx( tbc ) to WoW-3.0.xxxxx( wotlk ) And then patch from 3.0 to 3.3.0
    Yeah I installed Vanilla WoW and TBC, then this patch popped up before I seemingly downloaded my WotLK disc...but when I autorun the WotLK disc it doesn't say "install" anywhere, it just goes directly to "play". Maybe it's a feature of the new battlechest dvd install system that I didn't use before or does the fact that I've registered all the games on battle.net make up for an almost non-existant download for WotLK?

Anyways, all that it's trying to download is 3.2-3.3 right now and nooooooothing has worked. I've bee trying for 2 hours now :'(.

Quote Originally Posted by pomop

Are you sure it's stuck? Maybe you are just downloading slowly. It is also a huge patch.
    When I check the downloader I'm stuck at "0 bytes of 545MB" and have been for 15 mins on this trial...i5 processors aren't *that* slow haha.

Are you absolutely sure that it's not downloading? Check your network traffic. Is it significantly higher with the install process going than without?

Also, WoW does not need to be 'installed'. You can just copy a pre-installed version of WoW onto your computer and it'll work. Look for a torrent or something if you want to try that route. Whenever I format, I just keep the old install of WoW. It works just fine.

Yeah I installed Vanilla WoW and TBC, then this patch popped up before I seemingly downloaded my WotLK disc...but when I autorun the WotLK disc it doesn't say "install" anywhere, it just goes directly to "play". Maybe it's a feature of the new battlechest dvd install system that I didn't use before or does the fact that I've registered all the games on battle.net make up for an almost non-existant download for WotLK?

Anyways, all that it's trying to download is 3.2-3.3 right now and nooooooothing has worked. I've bee trying for 2 hours now :'(.

When I check the downloader I'm stuck at "0 bytes of 545MB" and have been for 15 mins on this trial...i5 processors aren't *that* slow haha.
    cancel it. you will just have to re install it. stop it, and install wotlk. Disable your firewall, even if blizzard is an allowed program, i still had problems sometimes with it. Just make sure it gets re enabled afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Congratulations for finding a use for expendable casuals.

I've been trying for around an hour now to re-install WoW (I quit and uninstalled it about 2 years ago) but my Blizz downloader is stuck at 10%.

I've bee cruising around multiple sites to try and figure out what's going on and most tell me to run the launcher as an administrator, which I have done, or figure out my firewall settings to allow it to download...whenever I try to get it to download I just shut off my firewall.

I'm running Windows 7/64-bit and I have a McAffee security centre acting as my firewall.

Anyone out there have any insight as to what the problem could be and/or what I can do to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated because I just really want to get back to playing finally :P.

Try disable UAC in Windows, it has issues with some programs at times.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...-in-windows-7/
    - I participated in the Legendary 22/02/11 EU internet Crash thread, also known as "The day EU trolled Blizzard" -

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth
    Are you absolutely sure that it's not downloading? Check your network traffic. Is it significantly higher with the install process going than without?

Also, WoW does not need to be 'installed'. You can just copy a pre-installed version of WoW onto your computer and it'll work. Look for a torrent or something if you want to try that route. Whenever I format, I just keep the old install of WoW. It works just fine.
    To be honest I'm very new to Windows 7 (coming from XP) and I'm not sure how to check the network traffic. But wouldn't I be assured that nothing is downloading if 0 bytes have bee trasferred? Or does it have to collect a bunch of data/extract something or other before it skips into the download?

I'm no so much of a fan of downloading a program I just bought from rapidshare sites. Is there not a major problem if you can't download a game directly from the CDs?? Sounds like a kind of broken point of view to me...

There's got to be something stopping the install on my computer or something, and I don't really want to have to head to rapidshare/megaupload to download something on my shiny new, (hopefully) uncompromised laptop :P.

Thanks for all the responses though everyone. I'm really going to try and get this up and running asap.

It doesn't have to due with it being tuesday in Australia does it...?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan3002
    Try disable UAC in Windows, it has issues with some programs at times.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...-in-windows-7/
    I'll try this on top of running my launcher as an administrator, but from all the Q&A's I've bee reading, setting the launcher to run as an administer (I have no idea what that even means by the way) should bypass the UAC system apparantly. Hopefully that works .

To be honest I'm very new to Windows 7 (coming from XP) and I'm not sure how to check the network traffic. But wouldn't I be assured that nothing is downloading if 0 bytes have bee trasferred? Or does it have to collect a bunch of data/extract something or other before it skips into the download?

I'm no so much of a fan of downloading a program I just bought from rapidshare sites. Is there not a major problem if you can't download a game directly from the CDs?? Sounds like a kind of broken point of view to me...

There's got to be something stopping the install on my computer or something, and I don't really want to have to head to rapidshare/megaupload to download something on my shiny new, (hopefully) uncompromised laptop :P.

Thanks for all the responses though everyone. I'm really going to try and get this up and running asap.

It doesn't have to due with it being tuesday in Australia does it...?
    You can download the entire wow client from Blizzard.

And nah, the day doesn't matter. I suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Install it in this order: vanilla > BC > Wotlk > patches. That is how I install wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Much easier to install the game with their downloader, if u have a decent connection though 5mb+ or its gona take a while.Or just run as admin as that is usually the problem.

I'll try this on top of running my launcher as an administrator, but from all the Q&A's I've bee reading, setting the launcher to run as an administer (I have no idea what that even means by the way) should bypass the UAC system apparantly. Hopefully that works .
    Well I had a few admin problems back when I was running windows vista, I cant exactly recall the problem I had (I think it was trying to install Warhammer Online) but running as administrator only gives you so much rights whereas turning off UAC opens everything up and gives you full control, be sure to turn it back on though once you finished trying.
    - I participated in the Legendary 22/02/11 EU internet Crash thread, also known as "The day EU trolled Blizzard" -

Im pretty sure u can throw your vanilla and BC discs away and just use the WOTLK cd to install the entire game then just download patches since 3.0

If you're still having problems with the Blizzard Downloader, find an alternative homepage to download the patch from. I usually do that - and sometimes it's even faster than Blizzard's

Okey i got curius, and desided to try a fresh install on my 2nd computer imidiatly after m y post at: May 25, 2010, 01:12:04 am. ( the one above )
    Full download and install on my 50MB broadband connection.
    Maybe you should try and Download it all, only took me a few hours...
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Suggestion: Uninstall everything you have done so far. Go to your battle.net page where you can manage your games. Select WoW:Wotlk and download the PC client / Mac client from there. You'll get a fresh install from there up to the current patch I think.

Last time I did this (within the last two months or so) was pretty quick took me less than two hours to install and download the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

K, turning off UAC didn't work.

Oh and before I go any further here, I define "didn't work" in how when I open up the launcher the patch 3.2-3.3 goes up to 10% and just stops. I look into the download section and it says 0 bytes/545MB.

Other useful info that may help in this insanely frustrating diagnosis:

1. When I installed wow, I put in "disc 1" from the battle chest (which includes all of vanilla and wotlk in 2 disks) and it prompted me with the screen "download burning crusade now!"...I just kind of figured it meant vanilla + BC.

2. Disc 1 got me to 93% while Disc 2 got me to 100%.

3. Disc 1 (still in just the vanilla wow + burning crusade discs) included a whole ton of files (yes I was so bored that i was reading the files as they downloaded) that were from northrend, like yogg-saron brain room data, wintergrasp data, tons of files with the name "northrend" in them...but i hadn't even touched my WotLK disc yet. HOWEVER, I had registered WotLK with battle.net.

4. The patch 3.2-3.3 installer came up after the battle chest 2-disc set was complete, not when I put in the WotLK disc. When I tried putting in the WotLK disc, there was no "install WotLK" prompt.

....yeah I'm really really really confused now as nothing has been working.