Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

TOC or Gundrak raid?

When they announced that there were gonna be 5 raids, 4 not counting OS, i was sure that they were gonna make a Troll one (Gundrak) but instead they give us TOC, wtf, i was looking forward to killing trolls w/ the power of the gods again, atleast it had lore and a meaning, none of this "OMG WE ARE GONNA KILL CHAMPIONS IN AN ARENA FOR PRACTICE" bs, honestly it is just a dissapointment, vanilla had a troll raid and so did BC, why not wotlk, plus it would have been fun ;D

Deleted

Re: TOC or Gundrak raid?

Correct me if im wrong but

i think it was meant to be nax and ulduar at the start when WoTLK was released

Toc patch
    Gundrak Patch
    Unknown patch
    Icecrown Citadel patch

According to the Lore, we wiped them out in Gundrak. There isn't anything they can do except die from the Scourge, or from the Gods they betrayed.

We finished them off. They have no military power left. Thus, a Gundrak raid would break continuity.

15+ Year Old Account

We havent seen hide nor hair of Frost King Malakk, the supposed leader of the Ice Trolls. I was looking forward to killing him in the obligatory troll raid, but alas

they were supposed to do an entire underground nerubian zone with raid, dungeons, factions and dailys.

its one of the devs biggest wotlk regrets that they didn't and now basically can't.

all that juicy lore gone to waste...
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

I liked ToC. It wasn't really lore-heavy, but it was pretty original imo.

10+ Year Old Account

I just had Granola, and since it's past midnight here, I guess that'd make it my breakfast.

ToC was an interesting experiment but I totally would've liked to see another troll raid with the Frost Troll King that planned epic instance/daily hub that they talked about in the super-early stages of the expansion. I remember back when they wanted to have the main neutral city be underground with a series of tunnels going all under Northrend...

That woulda been a cool way to make Yogg more prominent and show how big his influence really was/is.

Oh well.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

15+ Year Old Account

Cleaned this up. Trolls, grats on your bans.

10+ Year Old Account

They were supposedly doing a raid for the Spider empire, but instead that just threw Anub'arak into Toc.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

I belive I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a Troll raid in Zul'Drak and an entire subterranian Nerubian zone w/ a raid.

Seems to me any one of those would have been better than ToC.

I also was looking forward to a troll raid.
    ToC was alright, but they could have had a troll raid and it would have been almost the same...

we go in an effort to kill the troll king
    raid gets 'captured' and throwin into a ring of blood.
    we face troll leiutenants with god transforming powers.
    we defeat them all...
    we blow that argent crusade horn and they come rescue us.
    troll king comes out and we kill him.
    loot the giant snake mount and frost emblems and gg.

epic.
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Traejun
    I belive I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a Troll raid in Zul'Drak and an entire subterranian Nerubian zone w/ a raid.

Seems to me any one of those would have been better than ToC.
    So sad that they screwed that up, I love the Nerubian's, had such god damn potential and they wasted it completely, so disappointing.

Gun'drak is a little.. underwhelming. With as bad ass as trolls have been (all our fav's, sunken temple, Zul'Farrak, Zul'Gurub, etc), a troll raid would have been awesome.

Someone pointed out my first time in Gun'Drak, right across from the Drakkari Colossus, if you look down over the railing, there is what appears to be part of the body of a giant snake...

There is so much we could still do in Northrend. Cata is going to be interesting, but I wouldnt mind some more content before paying for another expansion.

Ah well..

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by alinaya
    I liked ToC. It wasn't really lore-heavy, but it was pretty original imo.
    Original game wise or original in general cuz it wasnt. ToC was pretty much a gladiator type of fight. People have been fighting in pits against animals and other people for millenia, blizzard just implamented the idea because they though it be cool, but it obviously was a disaster imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Dictonary, get one!
    Irony at its best ^^^

when ZA came about people bitched that it was another troll raid like ZG, so they didn't do one for wrath thinking that it was not what people wanted.

Personally I quite enjoyed ZA and ZG, and it would have been an awesome raiding tradition to keep it going every xpac .

But I do remember talk of the underground zone/city/raids, kinda sucks all we got from it where 2 shit dungeons and 1 raid boss.

TOC was a bandaid patch from all angles, They needed more time to develope ICC and Ulduar didnt last as long as they had hoped, time to introduce a stop gap instance and try out our new heroic mode idea. Lazy from and instance design point of view but pretty good in terms of actualy fight mechanics, limited wipe hardmodes was nice too, all in all a successfull experiment imo.

The other purpose toc served was creating a real daily quest hub, when wrath shipped the dailies were mostly spread all over the place making them unpopular, what made dailies so popular in tbc was the way they were all focused in one small area so you could do your 10/25 or whatever in less than an hour play time and they gave a reward that was desirable. Hodir dailies were the only worthwhile ones at wotlk launch they needed more to keep casuals playing and to give the raiders something to do between raids.

always loved the troll raid still <3 zull gurub

Looking at items and leftover models, they gibed us on not only a Gundrak raid, but also an utgarde pinnacle, and either a bigger malygos or another blue dragon instance altogether.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

ToC really did feel like an "afterthought" raid. While the "lore" - if that's what you call it - made sense with respect to the expansion as a whole, it did feel like a placeholder raid to keep us busy between Ulduar and ICC. And while I loved going back to Ony, that was the worst offender of them all...having ZERO purpose in the lifecycle of the expansion.

Ruby Sanctum feels much the same way...something to keep us busy between ICC and Catacylsm - probably because Cata is taking longer than they anticipated.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

As always, there wer other options, that I'm sure given ToC, would have been preferred.

"Fate has made us enemies...But this ring will make us brothers." -Gravemind to the Master Chief and the Arbiter, (Halo 2)
    "Were it so easy" -The Arbiter (Halo 2,3)
    "That is the worst grenade throw ever, of all time" -Agent Washington (RedvsBlue, season 6)
    <3 Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    I also was looking forward to a troll raid.
    ToC was alright, but they could have had a troll raid and it would have been almost the same...

we go in an effort to kill the troll king
    raid gets 'captured' and throwin into a ring of blood.
    we face troll leiutenants with god transforming powers.
    we defeat them all...
    we blow that argent crusade horn and they come rescue us.
    troll king comes out and we kill him.
    loot the giant snake mount and frost emblems and gg.

epic.
    Sounds more fun than the ToC story.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.