What to do now? Frost/Blood/UH

I've using unholy spec without reaping and with blood subspec for a long time, and always outdpsing a lot of ppl with much better gear then me, but i think i still can do more dps then now. I tried the frost subspec, and unholy/blood with reaping subspec, but didnt got to any conclusion...
    When should I change my spec? Is there a value of arp, crit, haste or any stat that i should reach to change spec?
    Is there any difference on rotation using frost or blood subspec? I know that there's a diference if i use Reaping or not, but what about the subspecs?

I now have 2T10 and 2T9, and dont have enough emblems to get 2 more T10 piece. The only thing i could do is craft the legs lvl 264, and change my gloves or chest to T10. That way i lose the T9 bonus. Does it worth it, or i'll have a dps loss?

I've been researching but couldn't get to a good explanation for the choice i should make...

Re: What to do now? Frost/Blood/UH

We can't tell you if you're being paranoid and doing fine dps or actually falling behind if we don't have an armory link or an idea of what you are pulling right now.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-f...song&cn=Mojica
    Sorry, forgot...
    Just for numbers, i usually do arround 9-9.5kdps at Saurfang and Festergut 10man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonymad
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-f...song&cn=Mojica
    Sorry, forgot...
    Just for numbers, i usually do arround 9-9.5kdps at Saurfang and Festergut 10man.
    Honestly, a little under 10k with a 251 weapon isn't bad, but the really glaringly obvious thing that's holding you back is you are using your JC gems for expertise. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Festergut drops and expertise ring, and the expertise /armor pen would be way better for unholy (From Saurfang's axe). Even now, before that you should change your expertise JC gems to strength. You may need to get another peice of t10 and get the 245 badge shoulders to make up for the hit you'd lose if you changed rings. These changes shouldn't be huge, but a better itemized weapon / replacing gems will probably push you over 10k.

P.S, since you already have a nightmare tear, change your meta to relentless (21 agility), and replace your strength / stam gem to a pure strength

Hmm, your geming seems slightly off, though not too bad. Like previously stated you don't really want to gem for expertise, 12-18 isn't expertise isn't the end of the world (hell, i raided with 11 before i got my lk25 sword :P). But as far as your other gems go, change the nightmare tear gem to your chest, you unlock a +6 str bonus and you get rid of that less than optimal str/sta gem. Additionally, your yellow sockets might be put to better use with str/haste instead of str/crit, though you'd have to simulate that to be 100% certain. As far as your sub trees go, I favor frost on my dk for a number of reasons, namely +haste and +str that comes with the talents and the free interrupt.

I was unholy until patch 3.3.3, i heard Frost got a slight buff that makes it superior to Unholy, (Unless you get shadowmourne or something). But, frost gets 45% extra haste, (Imp Icy Talons buff (25% for you, 20% for others), then an extra 20% from the oringial icy talons)). And imo, frost spec is really fast and fun and it depends on procs such as killing spree and rime. I like the rotation, and I love dual-wielding, im at 5543 GS and I can hit 9.9/11k (On DBSF) in 10/25 man, with unholy I can only hit around 9/10k.. So I believe that frost is better, some may disagree but it's my opinon. but you never know, right now just try out all three specs and see what you like best, it's what I did, and I picked frost over anything else, unholy is superior in PvP though. which is my offspec

-Chukar, Earthen Ring

Also you are below hit cap, you need 263 for 8% hit and as unholy if you're at 262 or 7.9% hit that rounds down to a flat 7% for your ghoul.

I won't tell you not to use expertise or hit gems because some times thats the only / best way to reach those caps. However as Unholy expertise isn't as highly valued as str so don't be afraid to drop below cap.

As for your next piece of T10 I would suggest gloves, and if you cant make it to Dreamwalker in ICC25 for the Scourge Reaver's Legplates then sure I would suggest getting the crafted legs but hold off on wearing them until you pick up the chest your 4th piece of T10.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegor
    Also you are below hit cap, you need 263 for 8% hit and as unholy if you're at 262 or 7.9% hit that rounds down to a flat 7% for your ghoul.

I won't tell you not to use expertise or hit gems because some times thats the only / best way to reach those caps. However as Unholy expertise isn't as highly valued as str so don't be afraid to drop below cap.
    You may want to double check, I'm not too keen on death knights, and was just giving him general melee advice; but I've heard that pets have been changed to benefit from 100% of the masters hit. Also, even if it's the best way to reach those caps the value you'd get from hitting the cap isn't as high as the strength would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixstorm
    You may want to double check, I'm not too keen on death knights, and was just giving him general melee advice; but I've heard that pets have been changed to benefit from 100% of the masters hit. Also, even if it's the best way to reach those caps the value you'd get from hitting the cap isn't as high as the strength would be.
    I double checked my normal sources for this type of info and they all still back what I posted. If you have another reliable source of info that contradicts any of the following info I post I would be very thankful if you could steer me to it as having another source of info is always appreciated.

-Ghouls work like most permanent pets, receiving a portion of your stats and can be buffed by the raid.
    In terms of Paladin blessings, your Ghoul will receive the same blessings that the rogues are given. If no rogue is present, your Ghoul will need blessings given individually.
    -Ghoul Strength (with talents + [Glyph of the Ghoul]) = 331+1.52*Master'sStrength.
    -Ghouls receive 100% of your haste rating.
    -Ghouls have AoE mitigation, 45% for each point in NotD. This is both physical and magical damage reduction.
    -Ghoul hit rating rounds down. So if you have 7.99% hit rating, the ghoul will have 7% hit rating.
    -Ghouls gain expertise based on your hit rating. So if you had 131 hit (4%), the pet gains 13 expertise. 263 hit (8%), the pet gains 26 expertise. The Draenei hit aura does not give expertise to the pet.

Also hit is the most important stat until you are capped 263 as horde or 231 as alliance with a Draenei in your group. 20 more str isn't going to help you out if you miss what you should have hit.

This info is from the EJ forum, and while I know that not everything on there is 100%, the vast majority of the info contained in the first post for each of the 3 Death Knight spec's threads are quite spot on.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-u...t_another_day/

The Ensidia DK dps guide also supports these numbers.
    http://www.ensidia.com/forum_topic.p...topic_id=30191

I'll try 2w frost as soon as I get 2 slow weapons. I have a fast and a slot axe from ICC10.
    About subspec frost, i really dont get it. I lose about 800-1k dps using it instead blood. Both without Reaping.
    With 1 fast and 1 slow weapon, does it worth to try frost 2wield? Which one should i use as mh? Does it make difference the runeforge on each? Assuming they have different speed.
    Do i have to change a lot of gems to go frost?
    Ty again.

10+ Year Old Account

I'll try 2w frost as soon as I get 2 slow weapons. I have a fast and a slot axe from ICC10.
    About subspec frost, i really dont get it. I lose about 800-1k dps using it instead blood. Both without Reaping.
    With 1 fast and 1 slow weapon, does it worth to try frost 2wield? Which one should i use as mh? Does it make difference the runeforge on each? Assuming they have different speed.
    Ty again.
    I personally found a dps increase over a 251 2hander with 25man ulduar swords O.o although they were both slow weapons. Now I've got. 264/251 (just an alt) and haven't looked back. Even farming FoS for the axe there, or getting another axe of gunship 10 would be good replacements for your fast one. Weapon enchants: FC mh/ RI oh...RI deals mainhand damage regardless of what weapon its on. Also, practice the priority system extensively (with ua usage too) to get used to it or you won't see as much of an increase. DW frost is notoriously unforgiving if you mess up. Otherwise, game on brotha!
    P.S. gemming is mainly the same, correct me if I'm wrong though

Ty again.
    Sub-spec frost is reliant on several buffs and a proc weapon. If you ever get Bryntroll, the difference between sub-frost and sub-blood is extreme. If not it is only around 3% between the two, blood usually being stronger lacking the proc.

Also, if you have low ping (60-100) You don't even need to worry about expertise cap, drop to around 15 expertise and you shouldn't notice a problem due to unholy having free GCDs

*edit*
    Expertise gains ALOT if you have a higher latency/ping however, and thus capping it becomes more worthwhile depending on your connection.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkenedPaladin
    Sub-spec frost is reliant on several buffs and a proc weapon. If you ever get Bryntroll, the difference between sub-frost and sub-blood is extreme. If not it is only around 3% between the two, blood usually being stronger lacking the proc.

Also, if you have low ping (60-100) You don't even need to worry about expertise cap, drop to around 15 expertise and you shouldn't notice a problem due to unholy having free GCDs

*edit*
    Expertise gains ALOT if you have a higher latency/ping however, and thus capping it becomes more worthwhile depending on your connection.
    So, i cant drop my expertise. My latency is 250-350ms always. Bryntroll... dream... One day...

Atm more or less the only time Unholy is better than either Frost(if you have 2 slow 1handers) or Blood(with your awesome 2 hander you probably have) is really if you have loads of crit and the 4 set T9 bonus. If not? go Blood or Frost. Thats kinda it.
    And as a DK just gem Str don't waste your time on those other stats, they aint worth your time, 'til you get to around 265 avrg iLvl.

Cause I have no life, and I like it

Ok, i tested the dual wield frost spec. I have a slow and a fast weapon lvl 251 (icc10). My results on target dummie (didnt have time to test on raid yet).
    Unholy Sub. Blood -> 4200-4300dps
    Unholy sub. Frost -> 3800-3900dps
    Frost dual wield -> 4500-4600dps.

Big increase, i see. I tested a lot, always using the 3min time, that is the time of the Horn of Winter.

But... are the dps testing on dummies valid? Cause some classes the dummie mechanic doesnt work well, like warriors. Don't ask me why, i just see ppl saying that all the time. :P

So, 2 questions:
    -Can i test on dummies with no problem and see a correct result?
    -Should i try to get a slow oh (the HoR for example), even considering that mine is lvl 251 and the HoR is 232?

10+ Year Old Account

Absolutely get that slow offhand. 100% do this
    edit: make sure your weapon skill is maxed too!