Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: AVR - Best thing ever or unbelievably retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by Destined2Rock
    Well it's also people not stacking or facing the wrong way... Like, they want us to all stand in a straight line but some people are retards and stand just off to the side and get taken the wrong way. Ideally, they hope that with a giant red line on the ground people will face the right way and will all get carried in the right direction.
    Ok, let me address something the way I am understanding your reply. They think they valks carry someone based on the direction they face?

If this is the case they are wrong.

The valks ALWAYS carry a person to the nearest edge. So, let's say that the raid is 'off-center' of the LK's platform to the left. When the valks come they will always fly left - as they always fly to whatever point is the shortest distance to the edge. It makes 0 difference which way you face when they grab you.

The best strategy, and what we do, is to have EVERYONE (except locks who are standing on the edge with demonic circles ready so they can teleport back on if a valk grabs them and just ignore that valk) stack up RIGHT ON TOP of each other. This ensures all valks fly damn near right on top of each other to the edge. This means that while melee DPS's them they can do 'cleave' attacks making all 3 die faster.
    This space for rent.

AVR isn't worse than using DBM or any bossmods, or even using flares to mark out positions. It just helps visualize some stuff so a good player can push abit harder.

I doubt AVR will last into the expansion

It really does bottom out the difficulty of more than a few mechanics

I can draw penises with AVR, so

it is therefore

awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Genn Greymane
    AVR needs to be banned.
    I agree, some mods are nice, but at some point you really aren't even playing the game for yourself anymore.

12/12 25 Normal
    11/12 25 Heroic

Great mod. I've been raiding since Molten Core was the thing to do. It may be a little bit OP in some instances but, the timer under people for Mind Controls/Disease is great. No mistake who has the HIV and for how much longer for PP Heroic. Easy to see Mind Controls on Deathwhisper. I do like the mod. The fact that people still wipe even while using it means it doesn't need to be removed. People who suck are going to suck in any case.

It is very useful in the sense that your use it correctly It is very useful for Rotface hard to see exactly where the slime is going to fall or on PP to see M goo. Some people just draw lines that don't make sense or put to many circles that people become even more stupid.
    http://www.sassygoatmilksoap.com/

Make sure once your on to listen a bit for the song!

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If you can perform at a high level:
    Without AVR and AVRE +1
    Without DBM/DXE/BigWigs/ect +1
    Without Pitbull/Grid/Xperl/ect +1
    Without Bartender4/Dominos/ect +1
    Without any addon at all +2

If you can't then it doesnt mean your bad, it just means you need help. I run a guild that has burned through LK to 5/12 HM25 without much issue, we didnt start using AVR till after we hit this point and all it's done is make it easier.

Do we need it? No
    Does it help? Yes
    Do people still sat or kicked for standing in fire? Yes

Its a matter of opinion and perspective.
    You could be an Olympic class athletes and train alone, on homemade equipment, with homespun clothing, no endorsements, etc. Others require one or all of professional trainers, engineered clothing, professional equipment, and sports drink deals to reach the same level.

Does it make one more impressive than the other? Yes
    Should one be banned for using things? No
    Do many people reach that level without those things? Not likely

Its a free addon that anyone can use and set up, if you don't want to use it on principle then don't. Personally it helps to allow any bads in my guild to function on a relatively normal basis on some fights and if that helps my guild to continue w/o a hitch then I'm more than fine with it.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Right now at 11/12 Heroic25 I think its kind of a neat mod, but its attachment AVRE is something I won't personally use. It just seems like something that Blizzard won't let last too long as its just pushing the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia
    However, there's one that has AVR installed and STILL stands in stuff. All. the. time. Dies on Lootship, can't move out of fire on Marrowgar, or the HUGE outer ring slime puddles on Rotface. There are some people that even a "retard-proof" mod can't help.
    How is this person still in the guild with you? Sleeping with the GM is the only thing that I can think of here ... or being a hot blonde with big boobs ... or both.
    "There is a fly in the ointment. Shit has hit the fan. The lion will speak!" - Saul Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Modez
    Ok, let me address something the way I am understanding your reply. They think they valks carry someone based on the direction they face?

If this is the case they are wrong.

The valks ALWAYS carry a person to the nearest edge. So, let's say that the raid is 'off-center' of the LK's platform to the left. When the valks come they will always fly left - as they always fly to whatever point is the shortest distance to the edge. It makes 0 difference which way you face when they grab you.

The best strategy, and what we do, is to have EVERYONE (except locks who are standing on the edge with demonic circles ready so they can teleport back on if a valk grabs them and just ignore that valk) stack up RIGHT ON TOP of each other. This ensures all valks fly damn near right on top of each other to the edge. This means that while melee DPS's them they can do 'cleave' attacks making all 3 die faster.
    This ^, some of us use AVR(E) but on the Lich King it doesn't really help at all. After 119 attempts will killed him. It's not a fight that addons make easy, its something that takes time, practice, luck and a fair bit of yelling/controlled anger and people who fuck up. AVR(E) is a great addon, but much like any other addon, its a means to an end. It will not remove stupid people from fire, it can not make you dps harder, or your tanks last longer without heals. If you like the addon, keep it, if you don't need it or think its stupid don't use it. Do what you want and what you need to do to kill him.

Remember when the first raid mods came out in vanilla and everyone said that it made the game too easy and that it would be banned?

Yeah, now damn near every guild that raids requires some form of boss mods.

AVR is a tool. A visual aid. It doesn't physically take your character over. It is in no way a cheat. If it was a cheat, Healbot would have been banned as soon as it came out. (Visual aids of your entire raid's health, and can heal them with a simple click? Seems much more automated than AVR.) DBM tells your character exactly when boss abilities are about to come off cooldown, when you have something coming at you, when the boss uses a raid-wiping ability.....much more than a visual aid.

To the OP, it's true that some people may just ignore it and still screw up, but look at it this way: If it helps just one person do better, it's worth using. Don't feel bad about using it to help progression. Like I said before, DBM and other boss mods (as well as mods like healbot and such) do A LOT more for you than AVR does.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPally
    Without Pitbull/Grid/Xperl/ect +1
    Without any addon at all +2
    That right there is absurd to say to any HM healer progressing at a decent rate. The fact is default raid frames don't provide the functionality you need to keep up with everything going on, and I am sure we will get a 100 people claiming they do but in reality its extremely unlikely you are going anywhere like that. I know you aren't against using them I was just pointing out that any guild full on healers using default raid frames likely suffers because of it.

I remember once, during Mother in BT, we had a hunter app. Well, as it is, first attraction set included him and he didn't know where to go. We were baffled how this hunter doing amazing damage... died to it everytime. Finally he pipes up "since no one else is using the mother mod to tell me where to go, I keep dying." Our raid leader promptly replied with: I decided to ban the mod from my raid because it makes you retarded and dependant on a mod. To which the hunter replied "but it makes it so easy," to which we pretty much said "you're a retard." and booted him.

Long story short: if you -need- a mod to tell you where to stand, you're doing it wrong and probably don't deserve any of your kills.

I know of it and my RL wants us to use it but personally i don't. We were attempting Sind for the first time and people were failing all over the place with ice blocks for a reason i honestly cannot understand so he told everyone to get it and they were still failing all over the place. DBM is all i need and really it does more than enough, i feel like adding little don't-stand-here circles is a little redundant because if DBM is telling you to move and you can clearly see something coming on the screen if you actually need something extra to tell you to move also, then you fail...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

Deleted

To those saying this mod isnt very useful on LK, try doing LK on heroic. Shadow traps would like a word with you. Easy enough to avoid without the mod ( personally installed it after clearing 11/12 heroic modes on both 10 and 25 to see what the mod was like) and found it helpful. Didnt use it on our attempts last week and still didnt fail at moving from them, tho some people will.

At the end of the day if you dont want to use it, then dont but dont bash those who do wish to use it. You have a choice, the same with the ICC raid wide buff, dont want it? Just turn it off.

i can write and draw with it meaning i can i write some funny shit fraps it and smack it on youtube while doing a average tanking job which would make a million trolls flame me.

avr / avre - its not any better or any worse than dbm, i would like to say its a decent made addon, not needed but can help alot

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

There's a big difference between AVR and AVRE, you should keep the two separate.

AVR is useful, but limited. As someone said before, it's really just an easier and longer lasting way of doing smoke flares (you can mark every spot and draw anything you want with those, given some time). As such, it's handy, but not overpowered.

AVRE is a bit touchier. I currently use it, though my guild is not required to have it, and I'm still of mixed opinion on it. I didn't pick it up until we were working on Heroic Sindragosa... and so far the only fight where I /really/ feel like it made a difference was on Heroic Rotface.... which bluntly is a pretty damn easy Heroic fight no matter what. I think it's highly overrated for just about every other fight, where if you're doing the encounter even remotely correctly any info it gives you is redundant. (Oooh, I see a big red circle of doom on the empowered flame orb target for council! Except the person with it should be far enough away from everyone else that a range check is not even a consideration) Realistically, dumb players are going to be dumb, and good players don't mind additional info, but can beat the encounters either way.

The only thing that is really needed for anyone in raiding is a healing addon since the blizz ui is clunky and a buff/debuff filter since once again blizz ui fails horribly at that.

Don't have any problem with quartz or an addon for rogue cp because they are in such a crappy place and there is lag.

Other than that the only addons that should be used are ui custimazation. Really all that other shit dbm bigwigs avr etc is just unneccesary for anyone that can watch their screen and doesnt have downs.