Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Goblins are obviously Americans of Italian descent. They just scream Mafia, not to mention the accent.

Deleted
    Okay; just to clear up why so many people compare WoW humans to US Americans:
    1: Most of the representatives are white, while other racial fonts are available.
    2: Stormwind 'leads' the Alliance, and acts as if they own the world.
    It's really as simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure someone has said it but I don't feel like reading 12 pages lol

Blood Elves - Hollywood Stars (: I mean really, the guys are totally self-absorbed narcissists and the girls are total b's that think everyone loves them, plus they're like stick people.

That being said...I love hollywood, and I love blood elves! xD
    Quote Originally Posted by entick View Post
    Trying to stop [trolls] in trade chat is like trying to empty the ocean with a fork.

Humans are British and the Worgen are more specifically east london, British (aka Cockney - "mornin' gov'naaa" etc)
    Most of it is in the voices the human females maybe sounds a little less easier to place but the human male telling the "lord of the rings" /silly sounds CLEARLY English throughout especially the "hey, the kings back!" it would sound VERY different with an American accent.

For some of the rest:
    The Belf's actually remind me quite a bit of scandanavians. They are quite "cold" and a little aloof. Take away the coffee culture and how rowdy they can be the dutch can be quite "civil" rather than friendly and are generally quite tall and lean.

Goblins - I would (sorry here) actually have them as wannabe bro's/gangsters with the cheap, gaudy showing of cash etc with an element of middle eastern or jewish money sense (both are known for haggling and working hard to get a good deal). The above idea of italian's kinda works too tho.

Trolls - Jamacian

Dwarves - Scottish

Nelfs - I'll go with oriental asian

Tauren - clearly native american

Draenai - eastern europe/russian (the accent again)

Gnomes - without being mean, maybe chinese? Very industrious but not always quite so quality driven.

Undead - ? pass on these

Orc - again, unsure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Orcs = African/Mongolian.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think every race in WoW takes a little bit from real-life cultures, and there are subsets and groups within each race in WoW that go against the norm.

Also, by nature of definition, defining separate races is "racist."

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

Quote Originally Posted by kespec View Post
    okey, if you ask me...
    Nobody did.. was it REALLY necessary to necro a topic from May 21st, 2010? Really?

10+ Year Old Account
    my list

humans: American
    Dwarf: irish/scottish/some russian
    gnome: as piccolo says NNNNEEERRRRRRRRDDDDD
    night elf: asian/celtic/amazonian
    draenei: eastern euro/mid east/indian
    worgen: british and the buildings are what ever they had in the victorian times.

orcs: mongolians/spartans/viking
    troll: mesoamerican/carribian/african
    blood elf: CALI CCHHYEAAAAA
    tauren: native american
    undead: as british as stewie at this point in their lore they are german militaristic
    goblins: the criminal aspect of america

Humans: American
    Dwarf: Irish/Scottish
    Nightelf: More of a mix of every Asian culture with Japanese being dominate
    Gnomes: undefinable but I would say Chinese maybe
    Draenei: Russian

Orc: African/Mongolian
    Trolls: Jamaican/Aztec
    undead: German maybe
    Tauren: Native American
    Bloodelfs: Some European flare

Worgen: British
    Goblin: American/Italian

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    Well what is considered a race then? White, black and yellow?
    Dont forget green! Yeah i iz looking at you aliunz!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathblade The Vanquisher View Post
    First off this post isn't try to discriminate against any races. If you have a problem with it....then ''fudge'' off.

I've noticed that the WoW races relate to some races in Real life. Here's what I think:
    Night elf- Asian
    That's a hell of a broad brush your painting with then. Indian? Chinese? Japanese?

Also most of your races are just taken from their game accents, which is pretty obvious to all of us, tbh. Just interesting that you have 'no freaking clue' about the ones that are clearly just plain old white Americans but based more on archetypes than just a single race (Gnomes being geeks for instance), and bizarelly the race with the brooklyn accent you chose as hispanic? o_O

How about we all agree that some are clearly supposed to evoke a single culture, while others are mixed?

And 'what real-life culture are WoW races based on' would have been a lot less ignorant a topic.
    Last edited by Lemming81; 2010-12-22 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kespec View Post
    okey, if you ask me

Orcs are clearly the nomadic Turkic and Turko-Mongol of central asia, why?

First; the word HORDE(which orcs founded) is derived from the turkic word ORDA, which means Army and is used to describe TOTAL MILITARY FORCE of a turkic society.

second; Warchief and Overlord; A Khan shares same attributes with Warchief. to simply explain;

Khan is the supreme power of a Turkic Tribe, his word is death and his word is life. A master of combat, who leads armies to crush the enemies and then also deals with internal and external political problems. It is an inherited title and can not be earned even though besting him in a fight.
    a successful general can not be a Khan yet he can be Amir or Bey(overlord or high overlord)

third; Religion; Shamanism(firstly the word SHAMAN is a loan word which is from the turkic&mongolic word; Saman)
    wolf oriented shamanism; In Turkic belief, the Wolf is seen as the guide and savior of the Turks. In desperate winter Turkic nomads followed wolves to find nourishment as they were the masters of survival whatever the climate.(FROSTWOLF TRIBE?), the Tribe was called Ashina, who used a banner, a figure of wolf-head on it.(Divan-i Lugat-ul Turk, written by Kasghar-i Mahmut)

Another legend tells; When the turkic tribe was wiped out by chinese, only survivor of slaughter was an infant, son of the Khan who was left for death. Then a she-wolf appeared, saving the baby from the jackals, nursing him. then "that boy growed into a Warchief who gathered all the tribes under one banner and defeated the chineese han securing a living place for his kin."(thrall forming the Horde?)

Turks and Mongols are similiar in many ways, yet Mongols are potrayed as Centaurs.

and my advise there are great legends lies in far east, there arent only european legends and mythts. you should also check them out.
    ^
    I second this.

lol with all races

Humans - Americans
    Dwarves - Scottish
    Gnomes - Russians
    Night Elves - Japanese
    Draenei - Gypsies
    Worgen - British
    Orcs - Africans
    Trolls - Jamaicans
    Tauren - Native Americans
    Undead - Germans
    Blood Elves - Persians
    Goblins - New Yorkers

Though Draenei have Russian accents, their culture is based heavily off Indian.
    Trolls are Jamaican, for obvious reasons.
    Dwarves are pure Scottish.
    Worgen are Northern England.
    Blood Elves are west coast North American.
    Humans are just medieval England/France.
    Forsaken are zombie humans.
    Gnomes are China.
    Tauren are Native American.
    Orcs are African/Middle-Eastern
    Goblins are North Americans from the 30s.
    Night Elves are Japanese in architecture and culture, though there is an influence of Ancient Greek in their Highborne structures (Azshara, Temple of the Moon)

Goblins always felt like a mix of guido, mobster and jewish ... lets say, culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Orcs and Trolls: black (Trolls being Jamaican)
    Taruens: Native American
    Pandrien and Nagas: Asian (I know there not playable, but I thought I would add them too)
    Everyones else: White ( Four of these races are regionally defined(Draenei Eastern Europeans, goblins New York/ New Jersey and Worgens, British and Dwarvas are Scottish))

15+ Year Old Account
    This topic's revival was a 6-month necro. If you want to talk about this more, do it in the General Off-Topic forums in a new thread, but somehow I think this kind of topic is offensive to a lot of people seeing as it is based on sweeping generalizations.

Locked.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines