Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Pillar Humping in Duels?

I've had rogues/druids challenge me to a duel then stealth+hide+afk for an hour just so that they could say they won.
    It's a matter of etiquette vs "rpness"

OMG I HAVE A "COOL" WOW SIGNATURE

In the real world, you get into a fight with someone, you can't say "NUH UH UR NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT!!!! IM GONNA FLAME U IN THE FORUMS FOR BEING A NOOB"

In pvp, much as in life. You do whatever it takes to win.
    Lay on Hands is the only thing I'd really consider to be "overpowered" in terms of an arena fight.
    But then, that's one of their abilities, and a paladin is either forced to shield himself or fully heal himself. In all likelihood he won't get the opportunity to do both in this day and age of whichever team packs more nukage / stuns wins.

I still say that restricting use of certain abilities in pvp (in arenas, or as a formality for duels) is retarded.

I took the time to become an engineer -- I should be able to run fast regardless.
    Will this lead to the healer getting stunraped immediately by a rocket-booting, Ret paladin? yeah probably, but SO WHAT.
    Incidentally I, as an engineering healer, should be able to get the hell out of there if I feel my safety is in jeopardy.

What I don't like is pillar hugging.

I've seriously seen a shadow priest kill 5 people by hugging pillars, dotting them up, and flash healing himself. If you tried to pincer him, he'd psychic scream, psychic horror, and run to the next pillar. By that time, your dead.

Granted, I saw this done in a BG, where people probably had little resiliance and no pvp ability. But I'd be lying if I said I never popped ghost wolf, ran behind a pillar, healed up to full, and kept my buddy alive while i consistently kept kiting the other guy around the pillar.
    It's what I have to do to win, but I still acknowledge it as being retarded to anyone on the pursuing end of the equation (which i've been hornswoggled by the ominous pillar many times as well)

I'd really like at least one arena map that's devoid of pillars or other line of sight features. Where the capability of your healer, and the teamwork shine more than someone's ability to avoid LoS and distract an enemy player until the team is ready to focus fire that person down.

That's just my two cents though, and I'm not a huge pvp fanatic, so I'm sure i'll get flamed.

Quote Originally Posted by XeliosX
    I'd really like at least one arena map that's devoid of pillars or other line of sight features. Where the capability of your healer, and the teamwork shine more than someone's ability to avoid LoS and distract an enemy player until the team is ready to focus fire that person down.
    I hate to break the news to you, but one of the few "skills" in the game is recognizing who is attempting to CC you and being able to LoS it. The arena you're asking for is called RoV, and there's a reason why everyone hates it.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't understand why potions are so hated. Is it because you feel cheated? In my opinion, duels are never fair, and think about it. Heroism, Fe Totem, all DoT's, all HoT's, Mirror Image, all pets and minions, all stealthing, Bubble, LoH, all stuns, all disarms, AotD, Dispersion, Tree Form, Mortal Strike, all snares/movement impairing effects, Bladestorm, all fearing, all silencing, and of course, all racials. All of these give an advantage to an already sloped match. Adding in potions or profession perks make no difference to me. Do whatever it takes to survive.
    Reality is subjective.

Deleted

Mage/Rogue versus any DPS/Healer team.
    Sap healer
    Sheep healer
    Sheep healer again
    Sheep healer a third time
    Blind healer

Blow all cooldowns in those 10+10+5+2.5+10 = 37.5 seconds and kill a dps without him being able to LoS your attacks. Sure sounds balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Devanox
    Had an arcane mage flame me the other day when i beat him in a duel about this... said its not honorable and it shows how bad at PvP i am. I told him im sorry i don't enjoy eating arcane/ele/destro/boomkin/hunters to the face on a regular basis.

Anyways, i know theres probably several threads like this already, but i wanted to ask the pvp savvy members of mmo-champ what they think. Whats go/no-go in duels? Nitro Boosts? Pillar humping? Lay on Hands?

Speak up
    Next time he tells you you can't pillar hump tell him he can't use IV, MI, or AP/Combustion. You know to make it a "fair and honorable" fight.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

I remember a while back I had a priest alt in Westfall, somewhere around level 15 or 20. A warrior comes up and wants to duel, so I accept, and kite him while hotting and dotting for a while. He got upset and called me a cheater for not standing still and letting him beat on me. I guess some people expect duels to be just an alternative to target dummies.

Nothing can shake my believe that this world is the fruit of a dark god whose shadow I extend -- Emil Cioran

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Devanox
    Had an arcane mage flame me the other day when i beat him in a duel about this... said its not honorable and it shows how bad at PvP i am. I told him im sorry i don't enjoy eating arcane/ele/destro/boomkin/hunters to the face on a regular basis.

Anyways, i know theres probably several threads like this already, but i wanted to ask the pvp savvy members of mmo-champ what they think. Whats go/no-go in duels? Nitro Boosts? Pillar humping? Lay on Hands?

Speak up

I mean for real, we still fight war like back when we had the civil war. stand, fire, reload.. oh wait, we dont!
    "I don't agree with you on that, I'm going to have to check Google." -Martin, Role Models.

15+ Year Old Account

All this "play by arena rules" lol.

I'm sure the next time you're picking flowers in Icecrown the other faction pally is going to play by Arena Rules.

Not.

If it's not on cooldown I"m using it.

Whining about "omg don't iceblock!" or "NO BUBBLE" is demoting a class to something basic and silly. If I'm on my pally I'm going to bubble, if I"m on my shaman expect wolves, fire ele, and hero. If I'm on my druid expect me to los and heal. Mage, going to iceblock. Priest going to pop cooldowns.

It's about using your class to it's full ability. Arena rules is like playing tag with Kenyans who make bases. It's dumb.

That's just my two cents though, and I'm not a huge pvp fanatic, so I'm sure i'll get flamed.
    No. RoV is already pretty much that. If you come up against beast cleave or spell cleave on RoV you already want to kill yourself. Pressing PVE rotations at each other in an open field is not PvP.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

Deleted

Anything in duels goes wether it be a pot a nitro boost ect. There all things that anyone can get by leveling a proffession and in my opinion should be able to be used. As far as piller humping goes it seems fine to me, its just another way to use your surrondings against your opponent ;D

Deleted

Anything goes, apart from a few things, which on my server, is common knowledge;

Potions
    Cold Snap/Preparation
    Bloodlust
    To some extent, depending on circumstances, Feral Spirits aka enh wolves.

There are no ''rules'', merely guidelines, but these abilities listed above are some of which are frowned upon, and will get you pointed and laughed at.

I read this, and if you truely believe that what is written in that article is true, you are sorely mistaken, Street Fighter cannot be compared to WoW, in any way or shape.

I havent duelled since vanilla but i realy got sweet memories from then.

Was so satisfying to pop fire/shadow/nature reflectors as a engineer. Seeing that mage that just sheeped you loading up that big fireball of doom when you suddenly breaking the sheep with your trinket and sending the fireball back in his unexpected face <3

Oh the crying and screaming ^^

Ot: Anything goes imo, war is a dirty business

Quote Originally Posted by Grievuuz
    I read this, and if you truely believe that what is written in that article is true, you are sorely mistaken, Street Fighter cannot be compared to WoW, in any way or shape.
    You can't compare them, but you can apply the "scrub ruling"-idea of the article into WoW just fine.

In dueling, the general idea is to simply find proper countermeasures to the opponent's abilities. If you/your class can't provide them in an "honorable" setup, should you just take the loss and accept that you can never beat the opponent? I don't, I'll find other ways to beat him, be it LoS, engineering enchants, grenades, anything goes, as long as I end up as the winner.

If you lost to someone just because he used a pot, you can keep saying "I would have won if he hadn't used the pot" to yourself, but the fact is that he still won, you lost.

People in Duals (Or PvP overall in that matter) wish for a fair fight, but it simply not the case. If you can do something that will help you win, like LoS, you SHOULD be using it.

If the mages didn't like LoS, then he should've LoSed himself and adapted to the play field.

Why cant you use pots in pvp ?

its the same as CS .. dont use that weapon becuz it is to precise o0 (had it once a few years ago .. I stopped playing that game ever since)

<--- pvp n00b anyway but it is just a Question
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Deleted

99% of those who complain after a duel are on the losing end, its not about what is allowed...its about bad sportsmanship

ps: those people ride the short bus anyway

Deleted

Of course, but if you use something that is banned at official tournaments (spells that are unusable in Arenas), aren't you "playing your own little homemade game", as this article puts it, instead of "playing what everybody else plays"?

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston
    Of course, but if you use something that is banned at official tournaments (spells that are unusable in Arenas), aren't you "playing your own little homemade game", as this article puts it, instead of "playing what everybody else plays"?
    On the contrary, the arena doesn't reflect duels, they are a whole different game, in a way. You can continue handicapping yourself in duels if you want to though, just don't go mental when I don't.

On a second thought, I actually love when people start raging about me using drums of panic or LoS. :I