Thread: PvP 'Honor'

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

PvP 'Honor'

No, not the points you get for smashing in a BElf's face. I'm talking about being a 'respectable' PvPer.

Let me lead off by saying this concept is complete and utter bullshit.

First off, this is a war (yes, I'm using an RP argument first). Honor in wars is usually left up to the heroes and figureheads. We're the soldiers. Kill the other guy before he kills you, and do it faster than he can.

Second, so-called 'pillar humping'. I'm going to pull from the FPS community here. To any avid FPS gamers here (I'm sure there are a few), do you stand out in the open firing at each other until one of you drops? No, you use the available cover and take your shots when you can. Interrupting LoS is a key tactic against any ranged ability in the game.

Another point I'd like to address is how people seem to get annoyed with rogues staying stealthed for large amounts of time. Do you expect them to run up to you, unstealthed, and start poking you with their weapons? Look up any Rogue from any RPG. They are pure opportunists (dammit, they have a talent called Opportunist!). They're going to wait until they have a good shot at you. Your job at that point is to either prepare your defenses, or find them first. It's one of their core class mechanics, deal with it.

Finally, FOOD/DRINK AND POTIONS ARE PERFECTLY FINE!!! If they can break combat, then they probably had to burn a CD for it. The potion CD means you can only use one potion per combat, and again, if they break combat, they've wasted a CD. Even then, they have to wait a minute before the potion CD is up again.

For those of you too lazy to read my post, let me summarize:
    If you don't use your abilities, you're gimping yourself.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Re: PvP 'Honor'

Thanks for telling me all this.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi
    Finally, FOOD/DRINK AND POTIONS ARE PERFECTLY FINE!!! If they can break combat, then they probably had to burn a CD for it. The potion CD means you can only use one potion per combat, and again, if they break combat, they've wasted a CD. Even then, they have to wait a minute before the potion CD is up again.
    While I agree with the other points you presented, getting out of combat does not require a CD. Fear and sheep both let you get out of combat. Food should not be allowed, while drinking is fine. Potions should not be allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft
    While I agree with the other points you presented, getting out of combat does not require a CD. Fear and sheep both let you get out of combat. Food should not be allowed, while drinking is fine. Potions should not be allowed.
    Okay, valid enough. I don't play a mage or a class that uses fears, so I wasn't aware of that.

However, why shouldn't food and potions be allowed? Where's your reasoning for this?

So healing also shouldn't be allowed then?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Okay, valid enough. I don't play a mage or a class that uses fears, so I wasn't aware of that.

However, why shouldn't food and potions be allowed? Where's your reasoning for this?
    Some classes are able to reset fights, essentially the opponent is screwed.
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, and your point? It isn't their fault that they have abilities that completely screw you over. That's on the developers.

Another thing to add to the list: Why are people complaining about PvP in any form in the first place? If you're on a PvP realm, it's almost as if you made an unspoken agreement that you expect to be ganked. On a PvE realm, you have to purposely put yourself in a PvP situation. So, in the end, it's a CHOICE to put yourself in a situation where you may get screwed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaldin
    So healing also shouldn't be allowed then?
    People QQ less about healing because it eats mana. However, eating, bandaging, and potions still eat up a form of resources, but they're a little more available than mana in a fight.

ATTENTION; THIS JUST IN...

This is just a video game. a video game in which we kill things. dont add real-life morals and crap into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellekk
    ATTENTION; THIS JUST IN...

This is just a video game. a video game in which we kill things. dont add real-life morals and crap into it.
    Seriously. Like, when you lead a raid and ML it, just loot shit to whoever you want to. It's a video game, unleash your inner jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by Razariel
    Seriously. Like, when you lead a raid and ML it, just loot shit to whoever you want to. It's a video game, unleash your inner jackass.

see this guy has the right idea

10+ Year Old Account

Whats that ghostcrawler quote again?

...if honor is not your thing try pvp?

Edit: So much typo's <.<
    Forget everything you know about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellekk

see this guy has the right idea
    Oh yeah, totally...

10+ Year Old Account

Look, I'm not saying 'Be a complete ass with everything' when you play. But if people find ways to play the game using what they have available, why would you yell at them and tell them they're cheating?

Mmm while 1v1 i guess that could get annoying, In arena forcing your opponents to drop combat when you have a rogue is game breaking. The reason for this is simple, any rogue worth a shit is going to sap that target that got feared or sheeped. End of story.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Carni

Mmm while 1v1 i guess that could get annoying, In arena forcing your opponents to drop combat when you have a rogue is game breaking. The reason for this is simple, any rogue worth a shit is going to sap that target that got feared or sheeped. End of story.
    His post suggests that he is talking about duels.

10+ Year Old Account

Pally : Stuns, Disorient
    Warrior : Fear
    Priest : Fear
    Warlock : Fear
    Mage : Poly, Roots, Snare+Run, Stun
    Shaman : Hex, Root, Snare+Run
    Hunter : Trap, Root, Snare+Run, Disorient, Stun
    Rogue : Stun, Disorient, Snare+Run, Vanish, etc, etc, etc...the best
    Druid : Cyclone, Stun, Root
    Death Knight : Root/Snare+Run, Stun

I'm sorry, what was that? Every class has a escape mechanism now and can use it to get 5 secs to break combat. Just felt the need to point that out.

Probably what you mean to say is that some classes benefit from resetting the fight WAY more than others. Rogues, for example, are masters of resetting a bad fight and making it into one in their favor. A simple fight reset for a Rogue means much more than something like a Warrior breaking combat. Sure the Warrior might get off a bandage or snack on some food, but if he's outmatched, geared, or skilled, its probably not going to change things as much as a Rogue having CDs come back up or getting off another opener when their opponent has already blown their trinket.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

Another point I'd like to address is how people seem to get annoyed with rogues staying stealthed for large amounts of time. Do you expect them to run up to you, unstealthed, and start poking you with their weapons? Look up any Rogue from any RPG. They are pure opportunists (dammit, they have a talent called Opportunist!). They're going to wait until they have a good shot at you. Your job at that point is to either prepare your defenses, or find them first. It's one of their core class mechanics, deal with it.
    Funny enough you mention rogues it are mostly them who when they want to duell me pop up evry cd and whisper to me "no bubble shit"

I started the Book of Faces moving
    Was involved in the RP Invasion

/Brofisting Vol'Jin

Deleted

No, not the points you get for smashing in a BElf's face. I'm talking about being a 'respectable' PvPer.

Let me lead off by saying this concept is complete and utter bullshit.

First off, this is a war (yes, I'm using an RP argument first). Honor in wars is usually left up to the heroes and figureheads. We're the soldiers. Kill the other guy before he kills you, and do it faster than he can.

Second, so-called 'pillar humping'. I'm going to pull from the FPS community here. To any avid FPS gamers here (I'm sure there are a few), do you stand out in the open firing at each other until one of you drops? No, you use the available cover and take your shots when you can. Interrupting LoS is a key tactic against any ranged ability in the game.

For those of you too lazy to read my post, let me summarize:
    If you don't use your abilities, you're gimping yourself.
    I am touched...

10+ Year Old Account

His post suggests that he is talking about duels.
    I meant duels, arenas, battlegrounds, PvP in general, really. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Regent Lord Lor'Themar Theron
    Funny enough you mention rogues it are mostly them who when they want to duell me pop up evry cd and whisper to me "no bubble shit"
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. You can't expect to use every trick you have (Rogues in particular have quite a few) and then expect the person you're fighting to not do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizaru
    I am touched...
    You're welcome...?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tazienne
    Pally : Stuns, Disorient
    Warrior : Fear
    Priest : Fear
    Warlock : Fear
    Mage : Poly, Roots, Snare+Run, Stun
    Shaman : Hex, Root, Snare+Run
    Hunter : Trap, Root, Snare+Run, Disorient, Stun
    Rogue : Stun, Disorient, Snare+Run, Vanish, etc, etc, etc...the best
    Druid : Cyclone, Stun, Root
    Death Knight : Root/Snare+Run, Stun

I'm sorry, what was that? Every class has a escape mechanism now and can use it to get 5 secs to break combat. Just felt the need to point that out.

Probably what you mean to say is that some classes benefit from resetting the fight WAY more than others. Rogues, for example, are masters of resetting a bad fight and making it into one in their favor. A simple fight reset for a Rogue means much more than something like a Warrior breaking combat. Sure the Warrior might get off a bandage or snack on some food, but if he's outmatched, geared, or skilled, its probably not going to change things as much as a Rogue having CDs come back up or getting off another opener when their opponent has already blown their trinket.
    Essentially a cc + consideration of its cooldown and range determines whether or not it is viable in resetting a fight.

E.g. A paladins hammer is not going to let him reset a fight, neither will intimidating shout.