Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: A possible answer to the GearScore agony. And some other agonies as well.

It is not feasible to disable gearscrore. Hiding or trying to mix up the item level property will do nothing, as the addon would just be able to use wow head or another source to obtain the true item levels for each item. As long as add ons have access to the items being worn by a player gear-score would exist basically unchanged. Even if they did restrict addon's access to player equipment there are many possible web based alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by suleria
    It is not feasible to disable gearscrore. Hiding or trying to mix up the item level property will do nothing, as the addon would just be able to use wow head or another source to obtain the true item levels for each item. As long as add ons have access to the items being worn by a player gear-score would exist basically unchanged. Even if they did restrict addon's access to player equipment there are many possible web based alternatives
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah I didn't think about that. well at least we can pray that it doesnt get worse
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Hey OP I don't help out many people on this forum but I'll give it a shot with you.

Gearscore is a player made mod that assists people in quickly analyzing the players base stats in order to see what there maximum potential is. It can be abused, by the player or the raid leader and this is a human thing to do. Every system that crops up to evaluate the player or assist the raid leader in -quickly- checking the player will eventually be abused for the intentions of the player(s) using it.

Your system seeks to bypass all of this creating a utopia where players are judged off of skill and not gear by creating a standard at the base of the area they enter. As the player gears they surpass the base but when they enter they all enter at the same level. Every player is leveled out, skill is the only real component now.

Now your problem is, how do you sort out the skilled players from the non skilled players? Judging from your attitude and knowledge of the game so far, I would never take you in a raid. You wouldn't get a pass from gear, and I wouldn't want to take the time to see just how skilled -you say you are-.

In essence, your idea is great if all you want to do is judge people off skill, but if you actually pug raids or lead a guild you would know that players lie, they cheat, and do what ever they can to get what they want. Do you really want to fill up 24 spots with people who say they're good? And if you're selecting people that you know are good, aren't you doing the same thing gearscore is doing and pre selecting your group just to clear the dungeon quickly?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by prince0gotham
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah I didn't think about that. well at least we can pray that it doesnt get worse
    Yeah but the problem ISN'T with the mod, it's--

oh i give up :

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Gearscore... agony? Gearscore is wonderful. It's not agonizing at all.

I don't have a problem with gearscore (and GS is -huge- on my server), and I don't support "solutions" to nonexistent problems. Especially solutions which take away the importance of gear in a game where the main goal is to get better gear. Your proposed fix would have people leaving in droves out of boredom. I don't think Blizzard would want that.

Without gearscore, people would not magically know what gear was best for them. During TBC, well before GS was conceived or written, I met a mage who had all int gear - no spellpower. His reason? "Int gives me crit". It isn't fair to blame GS for peoples' stupidity, people have been stupid for millions of years and GS has only been around for 1.