Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Reasons to play a Mage?

So I've always like Mages, total badasses in PVP, good dps in PVE, but for some reason I feel it is going to disappoint me when/if I play mine in good gear/endgame. I mean Ive played 3 other classes and got them decent gear and saw 11/12 bosses in 10man regular, this was 1.5 months back, now I see so many people clearing this raid on heroic >.<

I've played hunter, shaman, warrior, warlock. Hate my shaman(Enhance) because there is just way too many things to do in order to do any decent dps, the warlock/hunter ...meh...but warrior was the only one I did enjoy. I think having to watch so many buff/debuffs drowns out the fun for me in raids, so that's probably the reason I enjoy the warrior. I know people always say arcane mage only has 2 buttons in a rotation, but there is still all the 2 minute CD buffs, and MANAgement (see what i did there ;D )

So hopefully the mages that do read this have raided with other classes and don't mind telling me the reason they enjoy their Mage so much and recommend it over the others.

Thank you kindly.

Re: Reasons to play a Mage?

Man-agement?

Actually the reason you should play mage can be summarised very briefly:

Spellsteal
    Invisibility
    Teleport
    Free food
    And faceroll dps

That about sums it up.
    Saving for Cata.

My sig has a pretty good description from a real magelover!
    Quote Originally Posted by Membrane
    Every day I wake up, log in and look at the nine other class icons in the character creation screen. Then I burst into laughter, create a portal into a distant realm, do a motherfucking double backflip through that portal while slinging pastries and blasts of PURE COSMIC ENERGY everywhere, respeccing into frost midair and deep freezing two gnomes before landing on my feet. In my wake only disintegrated corpses, strudel crumbs and adorable turtles are found.

Mage since 2007.
    Mage for life.

that sig is total win.

but yeah, portals.. food.. spellstealing, invisibility.. slow fall.. blinking away making you feel unstunnable(it breaks stuns btw).. KILLER dps. evocating and mana gems are amazing.

consider intellect will be the new basis of spellpower in cata... having your own int buff is awesome.

it's totally easy to rock dps in end game and pvp.. i've been playing a mage for... years and years now. totally pleased as piss about it.

you might be annoyed about the class while leveling up... drinking a lot... not feeling the real raw power. don't give up though, once you hit 60-80 you start rocking the hell out of things before they can even get to you with 1 or 2 shots and you'll feel the real mage goodness
    "Hard work never killed any body, But why take a chance?" - Edgar Bergen.

I really dont like watching so many cd's and smashin buttons, thats why i like to play mage. Its also ranged so its a bit easier to manage.
    i also like to see slow but big crits, rather than alot of small crits

Deleted

Hello, Redbtk. Look at your warlock, now back to me, now back at your warlock, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t a mage, but if he stopped worshipping Satan and draining souls, he could pretend he's a mage. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on your warrior in WSG with a class you could choose to roll. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a macro for Icy Veins+Arcane Power+spell power trinket. Look again, everyone's dead. Anything is possible when your main is a wizard and not a silly melee class. I’m on a talbuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Membrane
    Hello, Redbtk. Look at your warlock, now back to me, now back at your warlock, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t a mage, but if he stopped worshipping Satan and draining souls, he could pretend he's a mage. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on your warrior in WSG with a class you could choose to roll. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a macro for Icy Veins+Arcane Power+spell power trinket. Look again, everyone's dead. Anything is possible when your main is a wizard and not a silly melee class. I’m on a talbuk.
    This is pure win.

I give you 4 internets for turning old spice in a mage.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Becuz blink negates skillstorm.. And they are actually quite a super phun thyme in battlegrounds due to they are all terrain

Pros:
    Simplistic starting rotation, Pretty decent at pvp, Free food/water, decent group buffs, can get fairly high dps.

Cons:
    Arcane mana management is one of the most annoying things I've ever done in this game, VERY squishy, In pvp takes a bit of skill to kill pretty much anyone, spike damage is low. Leveling sucks. Seriously, worst leveling experience in the game IMO.

Arcane is probably both the easiest spec at the begining, and one of the hardest spec to maximize DPS in. Fire has beautiful AoE, and frost is very enjoyable in pvp (for me at least.).

10+ Year Old Account

Mages are awsome. Theres absolutely nothing else to say!

Deleted

I don't get people who keep telling how much leveling a mage sucks. I've done it twice (2007 & 2010), but then again some people tell me I'm not quite right in the head. Anyway, these days with the mana restore heirloom trinkets it's a walk in the park. I disliked leveling a rogue a lot more, and even prot paladin wasn't terribly faster.

Reasons to play a mage:
    Spellsteal 'nice buffs!, thanks!, MINE!!!'
    Mirror images 'who are those 4 handsome devils?'
    The fact u can wear a dress & not be judged
    You can turn players into cuddly animals
    Free fud & drink
    Because you graduated from hogwarts
    & many many more reasons

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko
    Pros:
    Simplistic starting rotation, Pretty decent at pvp, Free food/water, decent group buffs, can get fairly high dps.

Cons:
    Arcane mana management is one of the most annoying things I've ever done in this game, VERY squishy, In pvp takes a bit of skill to kill pretty much anyone, spike damage is low. Leveling sucks. Seriously, worst leveling experience in the game IMO.

Arcane is probably both the easiest spec at the begining, and one of the hardest spec to maximize DPS in. Fire has beautiful AoE, and frost is very enjoyable in pvp (for me at least.).
    half of your cons are exact opposites of your pros.

also, i don't know what game you're playing, but mages are one of the least squishiest classes in game.
    BfA Beta Time

Well, let's put it this way.
    Pure damage - Arcane
    Pure crit - Fire
    Pure leveling / pvp - Frost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesingwary-Eliada View Post
    Basically, my last guild leader was a wheel-chair bound Mexican who wanted to be Black, posted pictures of his dad claiming it was him, had the hots for his sister, created a fantasy in which his sister was his wife and that they had twin daughters together, and thought he was an FBI agent.

Pros
    • Decent in PvP (Arenas, BG)
    • Decent in PvE
    • Good Utility out of combat (portals, food, mana gem etc)

Cons

• Can only get high ratings (2400+) with certain comps.
    • An extremely steep skill curve for PvP (and PvE, to a lesser degree), hard to play well.
    • Mirror images break CC in arena. Stupid.
    • Spellsteal costs way too much mana and it's success is based on opponents resiliance.

TL;DR: Mages are good and only fun if you can learn to play them well.
    this game sucks

Lol as I read that WCM post, I am watching other mage videos on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyro
    And faceroll dps
    care to post your mage logs?

pew pew I like blasting things to oblivion with pure magic power.

Oh yes, teleporting, blink, invis, spellsteal, free food, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbtk
    Hate my shaman(Enhance) because there is just way too many things to do in order to do any decent dps, the warlock/hunter ...mehI think having to watch so many buff/debuffs drowns out the fun for me in raids
    If you don't like the more "challenging" dps classes/specs where you have priority rotations that require adapting to the situation (Enh shaman, DW Frost DK, rogue?[havent played at 80 myself])
    then you will probably like mages.

Personally, i HATE mages because i find having a dps rotation boring as hell. DW Frost is my favorite dps spec to date because the priority rotation is so complex and keeps you on your toes.