Frist Time PC Builder

i have never built a pc but have worked on them for about a decade or so now. i went to school for networking but didnt get too much into building pcs. i know what im doing with a pc but i just want to ask a few questions. this is not a 'is this leet' thread cause i am working within a budget and not getting BiS(lol) gear.

RAM: OCZ 4gb Sticks x2 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=O261-1060
    HD: Seagate 750gb Basic HDD http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sku=TSD-750AS3
    OS: Windows 7 Home Professional 64 Bit http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4&sku=M17-7306
    PSU: Corsair 750W PSU http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&sku=C13-2503
    MB: Asus Motherboard http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=A455-2938
    CPU: Amd Phenom II x6 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1&sku=A79-1055
    GPU: Radeon 1GB Vid Card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=P450-5772
    Case: Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=T925-1278

Now for my questions. i did alot of research so i knew what would fit into what as far as ram to MB and CPU to MB and such, but i just want to make sure i didnt miss anything. I dont want a computer thats just gonna run todays apps but will be able to handle future Applications and be upgradeable. I dont need an optical drive as i have 2 in my current system that over the last 4 years ive used like 2 times so im just gonna steal one of them.

Also is the stock cooler that comes with the CPU going to be good enough to handle wow, it is the only game i really play on my pc thats not web based. im not gonna buy all this stuff on tiger direct as i have seen some of it cheaper in other places and some cheaper on tiger direct, ill do some price shoppin but i wanted to give links to the equipment.

thanks for any constructive comments.

Re: Frist Time PC Builder

If your not overclocking the stock cooler is fine as long as you have good airflow in the case. I hate Asus but thats just me most people have no problems with them. Ram looks good Hd looks good. The CPU is the new 6 core amd? I might stay away from something so new unless you just hate intel I would go with the "I" series within your budget probably the I-930. Vid card is good. Case looks good with proper airflow. Power supply is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelmythundr
    Also is the stock cooler that comes with the CPU going to be good enough to handle wow, it is the only game i really play on my pc thats not web based.
    AMD's 6-core CPU's aren't really that good in price/performance ratio, especially for gaming it's pretty bad choice. The recommended AMD CPU is Phenom II x4 955 BE because of the higher clock frequency and relatively easy overclockability. Right now very few programs use multiple cores efficiently so the raw clock frequency is better choice. Ultimately the choice between the two depends on how much you want to bet on multiple cores, and are you doing something math-heavy on your PC where it would be an advantage.

What comes to stock coolers, those are designed to handle the cooling as long as your system runs at recommended temperature and clock speeds. If you don't plan on overclocking, your computer case has proper airflow and you don't live in area where ambient temperatures get really high often (over 30C) there's no need for special coolers.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Theres a pretty good sticky just at top of the this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Enola
    Theres a pretty good sticky just at top of the this forum.
    i saw it, i read it. i spent hours watching videos of reviews of different products, im in LOVE with this case and intel costs more for the same thing typically. my computer uses Mozilla, WoW, and VLC and thats about it.

i saw it, i read it. i spent hours watching videos of reviews of different products, im in LOVE with this case and intel costs more for the same thing typically. my computer uses Mozilla, WoW, and VLC and thats about it.
    I use AMD's since the k6-2, my previous was a 64x2... dont remember exactly what, I never had any problems with AMD processors what so ever, I will vouch for it anytime, but at this moment untill AMD is capable of putting out some decent competition I wouldnt buy a AMD, specialy in the range you chosen, what Im gone say here has been said 1000 times and thats why I was pointing in the stickie direction, thats too much ram and not only that has it is 1066 with 9 timings amd processors prefer timings over band with that memory you have neither, processor its obnoxious for your activities my poor 940 while firefox and vlc works at 800mhz and makes no diference what so ever if it goes to max speed, on the wow side of things a I5 will do the same.. or better.. and overclock easyer.
    The motherboard its overly expensive for what it offers, no usb 3.0 or sata 3, the psu for that system isnt bad but a bit overkill can save some bucks there, the box is fine personaly I would go for a HAF bit less expensive, but thats mainly personal opinion.
    That said the systems on the sticky are realy pretty good bang for the buck.

15+ Year Old Account

I use AMD's since the k6-2, my previous was a 64x2... dont remember exactly what, I never had any problems with AMD processors what so ever, I will vouch for it anytime, but at this moment untill AMD is capable of putting out some decent competition I wouldnt buy a AMD, specialy in the range you chosen, what Im gone say here has been said 1000 times and thats why I was pointing in the stickie direction, thats too much ram and not only that has it is 1066 with 9 timings amd processors prefer timings over band with that memory you have neither, processor its obnoxious for your activities my poor 940 while firefox and vlc works at 800mhz and makes no diference what so ever if it goes to max speed, on the wow side of things a I5 will do the same.. or better.. and overclock easyer.
    The motherboard its overly expensive for what it offers, no usb 3.0 or sata 3, the psu for that system isnt bad but a bit overkill can save some bucks there, the box is fine personaly I would go for a HAF bit less expensive, but thats mainly personal opinion.
    4GB is a good amount of RAM for a current gaming desktop. When you step into 6 or 8GB, then the "too much" argument can potentially come into play. It's also 1333MHz RAM, not 1066MHz. Also, the difference between CL7 and CL9 RAM is nearly non-existent outside of benchmarks.

That said, I'd definitely agree with going for an i7 930 or a Phenom II x4 965 BE over the Phenom II x6. They're too new and not really a great price-per-performance. Otherwise, everything looks pretty good. I don't have any experience with ThermalTake cases, so I can't comment on that though.

just so you know that motherboard has 6 sata 3 ports and does only support usb 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    4GB is a good amount of RAM for a current gaming desktop. When you step into 6 or 8GB, then the "too much" argument can potentially come into play. It's also 1333MHz RAM, not 1066MHz. Also, the difference between CL7 and CL9 RAM is nearly non-existent outside of benchmarks.

That said, I'd definitely agree with going for an i7 930 or a Phenom II x4 965 BE over the Phenom II x6. They're too new and not really a great price-per-performance. Otherwise, everything looks pretty good. I don't have any experience with ThermalTake cases, so I can't comment on that though.

Either you missed or Im reading wrong the "RAM: OCZ 4gb Sticks x2", my fault on the 1066 clock, amd processors benefit mainly from tight timings a lot more then Intel that beneficts mainly from clock, I wont go trough a complete explanation its well documented in overclockers.net whoever wants to know more can research it.

just so you know that motherboard has 6 sata 3 ports and does only support usb 3.0
    Indeed you are correct, my fault should have read better, rest still stands.

15+ Year Old Account

Either you missed or Im reading wrong the "RAM: OCZ 4gb Sticks x2", my fault on the 1066 clock, amd processors benefit mainly from tight timings a lot more then Intel that beneficts mainly from clock, I wont go trough a complete explanation its well documented in overclockers.net whoever wants to know more can research it.
    Nope, I missed the x2. Yeah, I'd back that down to 2GB x2 also. My bad.

Indeed you are correct, my fault should have read better, rest still stands.

its a nice board. i do thank everyone for thier input. im sticking with the board but im switching the processor to the phenom ii x4 965 black edition and the vid card cause i found a package deal. thanks everyone