Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

when to pop your wings as ret

with our ret BiS gear setup, we should have 4 different procs with different ICDs.
    my question is when is the best time to pop wings.

1. Libram of Three truth proc, gains 44str each stack, up to 5, last 15sec.
    2. DV's paragon proc, gains 450str last 15sec.
    3. ICC rep ring, gains 480ap, last 10sec.
    4. weapon berserking enchant, 400ap, last 15sec.

I been using power aura to show all the procs when its up, and i find its very hard to get all 4 up at the same time.
    well the libram proc isnt really a proc after a min into the fight, the 5 stack is always up.

my question would be when would be ideal to pop my wings to maximize my dps, by when would be ideal, i mean to pop wings at 4/4 procs or 3/4 or 2/4?
    and if for 3/4 or 2/4, which 3 or 2 to choose from?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: when to pop your wings as ret

Any time you can squeeze an extra Avenging Wrath into a fight that you wouldn't be able to otherwise if you waited for procs is a DPS increase regardless of what's active while you have it up. Ie, 3 wings in a fight > 2 wings despite perhaps those 2 wings being aligned with trinkets.

There is debate over when exactly to pop wings on what fight. On a fight like Rotface/Fester/Saurfang I usually Judge the boss and pop wings immediately after. Or pop wings as I'm judging. Y'know. It sort of happens at around the same time. There's really no use to wait to stack your libram before you use your first Avenging Wrath.

If you're doing the Lich King fight, obviously you're going to want them used as often as possible but more often than not have them lined up when you really need the extra damage output, for example on Valks.

Depends on: which boss and length of dps on boss and when hero/lust is available

Quick rundown of when i wings:

Marrowgar: Pre-pull since we usually hero right at beginning and then after that i delay wings by about 30 seconds to line up with trinket proc
    DW: Wings on first wave of adds and then i'll save wings until i have 5 stacks on her
    Gunship: do you really need wings here?
    Saurfang: pre-pull and then keep it on CD

Festergut: wings pre pull since we usually hero right off the bat and then keep it on CD
    Rotface: same thing
    Putricide: Wings on first add spawn, and then time it to have wings up just before phase 3

Blood princes: Taldaram is a good boss to wings on
    BQL: On pull because i usually will bubble 1st fear and human trinket 2nd

Valithria: wings on blazing skeletons if they're near my corner and then usually wings for frost mages
    Sindragosa: wings on CD, though i usually dont wings in phase 3

Lich King: Wings on CD during phase 1, i save wings for valkyries, and then i make sure to save a wings for 2nd transition for the vile spirits

Side note: generally yes: 2 wings > 1 wings, but if you know you wont get another chance for wings, save it for hero or trinket procs

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Wings before 5 stacks of Corr ??

Isn't that a huge waste of possible dps

Delivering Justice Since 2008 - retired since April 2011

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Qwayne

Like I said, if it's a matter of popping wings 3 times and popping wings twice, you're going to come out on top if you pop it on the pull and get that third cooldown in, SoV 5stack or not.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Retcognition
    Like I said, if it's a matter of popping wings 3 times and popping wings twice, you're going to come out on top if you pop it on the pull and get that third cooldown in, SoV 5stack or not.
    hmmmmm ... i loled everytime i saw a ret with wings right at the start. But i got the logic now.

Delivering Justice Since 2008 - retired since April 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Qwayne

Depends on the fight. If you could pop it 5 Times by using it ahead of time, it would be an advantage over using it 4 times by waiting until you get so many stacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

i wouldnt pop wings right on the pull

takes corruption about 8-10 seconds to get up if you pop the haste potion before pull and around that time you get to 3-4 libram stacks as well as have DV proc'ed and likely either berserking or ring... thats when i pop my wings first

my guild uses lust around 2 minutes into non complex fights aswell which is important to line up

but yea dont wait more than 30 seconds for anything or you are just waisting one in the long run

Just make sure you have it ready for bloodlust (and even then ONLY if that doesn't cost you an extra use of it in the fight), the others aren't a big deal. I personally only track paragon, but even that is often needless since you wanna make sure you can use wings as many times as possible, and that you have them ready for stuff like valkyrs, so people tend to exaggerate how important tracking all that random shit is.

Also on the topic of using wings before SoV stacks, you need to consider you have all your procs and the prepull haste pot running. If you wait that ~10 sec you lose all of those which outweighs the seal dps by my estimation, especially when it gives you a chance of gaining more wing up time later.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

as a DK i have about 6 procs to look at. i usually pop my gargoyle when about 3-4 are up. you dont wanna wait to long as thats just a loss of cooldown. it also depents on the duration of the fight. if the fight lasts 4 minutes, you can get in 2 cooldowns but ull have to open with it. if the fight lasts 6 minutes, you'll also get 2 off, thus giving you about 2 minutes to wait for procs.

Make a trinket swap macro to force your trinket proc to be up when you want it to be. I re-equip my proc trinket about 20 seconds before the pull. By using a speed pot, my 5 stack of Corruption will be on the boss right as my trinket procs and I am popping wings. On average, I blow my wings 10 seconds into the fight to line up as many buffs as reasonably possible.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

I pop wings right before my third judgment. This ensures 3 judgments with wings up as well as everything fully stacked. Even if lust is right off the bat you'll still catch the last 25 seconds of lust. U don't have to wings at the start of lust for the full benefit of wings with lust.

First wings I use is as soon as my SoCorr hits 5 stacks on the boss, then use it off CD. Answered.

at the mailbox!

always forget about wings btw :/
    To play those millions of minds,to watch them slowly respond to an unseen stimulus to guide theyr aspiration without theyr knowledge-all this whether in high capacities or in humble,is a big and endless game of chess of ever extraordinary excitement
    -sydney west-

I've personally found popping wings right before 2nd Judgement is the optimal time. Still early enough to overlap with trinket proc (unless you force reset) and prepotting ,however, not too early for SoCorr to build a resonable ammount of stacks ~4.

Quote Originally Posted by Retcognition
    Doesn't take 2 mins to stack SoV

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by damntree
    Doesn't take 2 mins to stack SoV
    with prepotting it take even less time :P

Deleted

When you drink Ret Bull.

Seriously, all percentage based damage buffs should be popped when the maximum number of procs is available.

I once popped wings while eating a feast.

Don't look at me like that! It was tough, I needed the damage boost to chew it up.

Side note: generally yes: 2 wings > 1 wings, but if you know you wont get another chance for wings, save it for hero or trinket procs
    There is no benefit to trinket proc-wings. Discussion is here, and I suggest you read each post because a few people offer their rebuttals but are proven incorrect. So stop this asshattery of "I wait for procs", or "I delay wings".

As for the start, I've come to the conclusion that Bluedeep is correct in saying this regarding wings at the start of a fight:

Generally for the first ~12-14 seconds of the encounter I will be under the effect of Potion of Speed using the double pot trick. I would think the combined effect of having Frostforged Champion, Paragon, and Potion of Speed overlapping with Avenging Wrath from time 0 is more powerful than increasing Judgement / seal proc damage at the expense of white, Divine Storm, Crusader Strike, Consecration, and Exorcism damage (which do not need any ramp up).
    Cast Judgment first, then full wings and up. I know it's sort of a mob mentality, but if you look at the top parses that weren't earned by shadowmourne heroes(ie the ones that never ranked before until the got it) they all cast wings at the start of every fight unless there's adds involved.