Number of Players Currently Playing WoW

I've stumbled upon a few sites which have data about how many players are playing WoW at the moment, number of subscribers, etc. I've notice that the data isn't correct.
    Is there a place to find that kind of data? For example: A place that have data about how many people are playing a specific server at the moment.
    Thanks.

Re: Number of Players Currently Playing WoW

I think only the quarterly reports from Blizzard have accurate data.

Quote Originally Posted by meroosher
    I've stumbled upon a few sites which have data about how many players are playing WoW at the moment, number of subscribers, etc. I've notice that the data isn't correct.
    Is there a place to find that kind of data? For example: A place that have data about how many people are playing a specific server at the moment.
    Thanks.

Posted in the wrong place by mistake.

Is Blizzard releasing that kind of data?

Nah. It would throw off server balance of the H:A ratio if players found out "ZOMG ALLIENCE WINZ ON DIS SERVER! MUST REROL NAO!".

They do release the playerbase, and as of december 30 (or so) of 2009, it was 11.5 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    TOXOPLASMA PARASITES ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!!!!
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Deleted

A few months ago Blizzard said the number of subs is still at 11.5m, but this is hardly believeable because the recent issues with WoW in china - they still dont even have WotLK, let alone a determined release date for official servers.

I'd say it's at 5m, possibly lower. China alone held ~6m subs. And there were a dude who wrote a well done blog about this, I forgot his name, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsi
    A few months ago Blizzard said the number of subs is still at 11.5m, but this is hardly believeable because the recent issues with WoW in china - they still dont even have WotLK, let alone a determined release date for official servers.

I'd say it's at 5m, possibly lower. China alone held ~6m subs. And there were a dude who wrote a well done blog about this, I forgot his name, though.
    you forget that a lot of chinese players are playing Wotlk on taiwanese, and korean servers.

Well.. This chart seems to have a ton of different sources.. So check it out.
    http://www.geekologie.com/2010/04/12/wow-chart-full.jpg

I believe it's from 12/4 2010...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Considering WoW had over 9 million subscribers before it was ever released in china, can't be correct. China not playing the game is not gonna render the game useless.

China still has WoW though. And yeah... you don't lie on your tax forms. It was 11.5 million in december '09. Remember, WoW is released in like 5 different areas. Not just america.
    Blizz needs to stop nerfing the game based on people wiith toxoplasma parasites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riboe
    Well.. This chart seems to have a ton of different sources.. So check it out.
    http://www.geekologie.com/2010/04/12/wow-chart-full.jpg

I believe it's from 12/4 2010...
    Wow, 137,000 a day to keep the servers up...

According to the chart I posted above, Asia holds 5.520.000 of the 11.500.000 subscribers.. And that's the entire asian player base.. So China have 6 million WoW subscribers? Yea, right...

Quote Originally Posted by pomop
    Wow, 137,000 a day to keep the servers up...
    Yea.. It certainly isn't cheap!
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

I wouldn't be surprised if China wasn't fully counted in subscription numbers.

WoW was always handled through a third party/leasing system in China, which is why it doesn't have a distributor (not the right word for it, but close enough) right now. I'm not sure Blizzard was ever directly paid for the subscriptions that Chinese players utilized, so I'm not sure if they were officially counted for total numbers or not.

Anything is possible, but using China and Asia as a whole, really, is a bit disingenuous since Vivendi/Activision/Blizzard are publicly traded stocks at this point. Shareholders don't enjoy being misled on subscription numbers (which would directly impact stock value) because of blanket licensing (China) and internet cafes (the rest of Asia).

I'd say WoW's population is at a pretty healthy 8-10 million range right now. It's the end of this particular expansion, and there's always a spike in population with new expansion releases. It's entirely possible that I'm completely wrong about the China situation, but lots of "players" or not, I'm not sure that they were ever lumped into the stated population numbers.

Deleted

Not sure if Blizzard are allowed to show that data public, but it would be really interesting to know )

Its annoying to not know how populated is your server, but I guess they are doing the right decision. If I would have knew how populated my server is, it might have affected my decision of where to play. Its an annoying but a good decision by Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by itsdouja
    Not sure if Blizzard are allowed to show that data public, but it would be really interesting to know )
    Blizzard created the game.. Ofc they are allowed to make that kind of info public.. It's just whether or not they choose to do it.