Question about Oldgod Lore: why didnt the Titans kill the Oldgods?

The Old Gods and the Ordering of Azeroth
    From the ingame book

It seems as if the Oldgods and the Elemental Generals were defeated at the same time, in the same war.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&AND&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

that the life forms where created after the Oldgods were defeated. So how did the curse of flesh prevent the Titans from destroying the Oldgods, when the Titans formed the life forms AFTER the oldgods were defeated and chained away?

doesnt make much sense, or somebody at Blizzard's WoW lore department is contradicting themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    the Titans crafted a lake of scintillating energies. The lake, which they named the Well of Eternity, was to be the fount of life for the world. Its potent energies would nurture the bones of the world and empower life to take root in the land's rich soil. Over time, plants, trees, monsters, and creatures of every kind began to thrive on the primordial continent. As twilight fell on the final day of their labors, the Titans named the continent Kalimdor: "land of eternal starlight".
    Seems here the Titans created the Well after the war with the Oldgods, and that the Well was the Source of the lifeform development, not the Curse of Flesh.

Maybe the Oldgods corrupted the Computer in WoTLK to give Brann Bronzebeard some false infomation into doing the Oldgod's will, perhaps?

------------------
    My Theory is:

the Titans didnt kill the oldgods because they wanted to use them to power the Well, not some Curse of Flesh.

So the Titans assigned power over their prison to the Dragon Aspect Leaders, making them the living Key to the oldgod's prison.

This is why eventually we will have to kill all the Aspect Leaders, or they die in some fashion.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Re: Question about Oldgod Lore: why didnt the Titans kill the Oldgods?

I think you're missing a few steps. "Information in Wrath of the Lich King (see the Tribunal of Ages) reveals that the Titans were actually the first to arrive at Azeroth, where they then put in place the seed races and departed. The Old Gods appeared on Azeroth at a later date and created the Curse of the Flesh to "facilitate assimilation". The Titans returned and found that the Old Gods and their Curse could not be removed without destroying Azeroth as well, so instead they bound the Old Gods, and put in place measures, such as The Forge of Wills to re-create the seed races. "

source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Old_Gods#History

i was always satisfied with the concept of the old gods being a kind of parasite attached to the titan's work, and that if we killed them all bad stuff would happen. kind of like blowing a hole in your boat to try and kill the shark that's under it.

i really don't put much thought into them. "dun kill old gods or all will die". "they're evil and hate all creations of the titans". Lore. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Good point, my thinking behind this is that like the elemental lords, old gods cant really die because they manifest themselves among what they represent. In other words Rag is fire, so where ever there is fire in azeroth rag as somthing to do with it. the elemntals and old gods are part of azeroth just like the landscape is, you cant kill it; but you can change it; just my two cents
    Insquequo terminus

Something is contradicting itself

because how did the Well develop the life forms, if the oldgods did it with a curse?
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

As far as we know only dwarves, gnomes, vrykul and giants were affected with the curse of the flesh. The other things (like trolls and tauren) evolved on their own or were already there before the old gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue
    i was always satisfied with the concept of the old gods being a kind of parasite attached to the titan's work, and that if we killed them all bad stuff would happen. kind of like blowing a hole in your boat to try and kill the shark that's under it.

i really don't put much thought into them. "dun kill old gods or all will die". "they're evil and hate all creations of the titans". Lore. Done.
    This, really killing an old god would be like nukeing yourself in the face, beyond that killing their what I think of as their "Avatars", wont do diddly squat; you know they'll just respawn after another corpse run
    Insquequo terminus

15+ Year Old Account

You can't kill them because they are manifestations of an existence outside of our realm. As people have said, if there was a way to kill them and they were destroyed, then because of their ties with Azeroth, the world would be destroyed. It's not ideal that they were sealed away only to be able to whisper evils to susceptible characters. The titans should have sealed them off from being able to contact beings within Azeroth's mortal existence.

Makes for some interesting lore though. If the old gods hadn't influenced beings, we wouldn't have had the Lich King, Illidan or even Deathwing. They were all influenced by them in some way.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account

somthing to do with azeroth exploding or somthing

thats chaos

titans dislike chaos

So you have massive, terribly powerful parasites that exist under the planet, spreading like roots. They are incredibly durable, tenacious and corrupt everything they touch.

How exactly do you propose the titans destroy them without destroying the planet? I'm not sure what is contradicting what here, but it makes perfect sense they couldn't surgically remove them without damaging the ecosystem and killing all life on the planet without any sort of complex lore analogy.

Look at this SIMPLY. All of the things we see created by the Titans: Vrykul, Gnomes, Dwarves.
    The Well of Eternity was meant to nurture PRIMAL LIFE , and that means that the Well would nurture the normal creatures, deer, sheep, wolves, deer, bunnies, squirrels, and all the fishies and goaties. They cant build life out of clay, pure real life....they can only create cold hard flesh with no reality to it... I think that the seed races, the peaceful primal ones, were created first, then they made the Earthen,Vrykul, and Mecha-Gnomes to safeguard it from the Old Gods that had sprung up like holes in a whiffle ball.

1. The Curse of Flesh affected only the Titan constructs, turning them from non-organic beings to organic ones. Other species, such as Night Elves and Trolls, developed separately.
    2. I'll use my favorite analogy as to why we can't remove the Old Gods. Let's say you have some back pain, so you go to the doctor. The doctor tells you that there is a parasitic worm embedded in your spine; problem is, it can't be removed without shattering your spine, because it's so deep. Instead, he puts it to sleep, relaxing it's hold on your spine but without completely removing it.
    Imagine whatever I say as being said with Morgan Freeman's voice. It will make you rage less.

Seems to me like it would have been easier to destroy the planet and relocate the existing life to another world

Quote Originally Posted by Phil, the Scourge of Lumber
    1. The Curse of Flesh affected only the Titan constructs, turning them from non-organic beings to organic ones. Other species, such as Night Elves and Trolls, developed separately.
    2. I'll use my favorite analogy as to why we can't remove the Old Gods. Let's say you have some back pain, so you go to the doctor. The doctor tells you that there is a parasitic worm embedded in your spine; problem is, it can't be removed without shattering your spine, because it's so deep. Instead, he puts it to sleep, relaxing it's hold on your spine but without completely removing it.
    I like that analogy
    My e-peen is larger then yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny

Me: Hey DK, why have you gemmed for intellect in your chest?
    DK: Because intellect makes you smart and I am tired of people saying that DK are stupid >
    Me: Shinydemon covers his face with his plam. /votekick
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarleck

I've been called a fail for refusing to invite someone purely because his Gearscore was high.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    So you have massive, terribly powerful parasites that exist under the planet, spreading like roots. They are incredibly durable, tenacious and corrupt everything they touch.

How exactly do you propose the titans destroy them without destroying the planet? I'm not sure what is contradicting what here, but it makes perfect sense they couldn't surgically remove them without damaging the ecosystem and killing all life on the planet without any sort of complex lore analogy.
    because the titans were the people that chained them underground in the first place

so that wouldnt be a reasonable excuse.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor
    because the titans were the people that chained them underground in the first place

so that wouldnt be a reasonable excuse.
    the lore directly contradicts this so it is neither an excuse nor any level of not reasonable