Hunter, an opportunity to be dynamic!

My first toon was a hunter. The appeal for me was the pet. I've been staying frequent with the blizzard updates and their current plans and ideals for cataclysm. (I have no idea where to post this, just wanted to put it out there) I came up with a pretty simple idea that, to me, seems pretty exciting. It has been my experience that 99% of all hunter fights (Leveling, raiding, Pvp) are done in Aspect of the Dragonhawk/ Aspect of the Hawk. Don't get me wrong, I love it but, what if players had to make the decision between aspects. I purpose that 2 changes. With blizzards current plan, Hunters will be using focus and emphasized as a ranged class. Obviously this poses a problem to Aspect of the Viper and Aspect of the Beast. AoB doesn't really have a purpose currently and since it gives a melee bonus to hunters will most likely be eliminated in cata. AoV will be irrelevant since it is centered around mana. I don't think we should let these go to waste. Make AoV an aspect that boosts energy regen but adds a cd to the shots. Then AoV would be the burst aspect. Make Beast actually worth putting on, maybe making your pet more tank-like at a sacrifice in dps. Then Hunters would have three ways to fight. I see it akin to the presences of the DK where AoDh as blood, AoV is unholy, and AoB is Frost.

Now onto a less thought out idea of mine. Bring down BM hunters dps and bring up the pets. I know this is a fantasy but I would be terribly excited if the ratio was around 50/50. Blizzard gives two reasons why this wouldn't work. 1. Because then if the pet dies, the hunter receives a serious dps loss for the rest of the encounter (raiding). 2. It would bring down the skill level required to get high dps. So, my solutions: 1. When your pet dies, you get some sort of revenge themed buff that increases damage by 60%(obviously tentative). That way the penalty for losing your pet is still hefty but not crippling. 2. Make pet management harder! Off the top of my head I'm thinking something like seriously buffing Eyes of the Beast then putting it on a 2 minute cd, 1min duration then make the pet rotation more difficult. So you spend half the fight as yourself, and half as your pet. I know this is a lot of work to put into the pet but I personally would be down for it at the cost of having less work done on hunter.

Re: Hunter, an opportunity to be dynamic!

Ya Ya, I forgot to proof read it. Get over it!

First off, there is an edit button, so you can just use that.

Also, AoB is generally used by BM hunters during Beastial Wrath, and AoV has already been stated as being removed in Cataclysm. The idea of a BM hunter having to switch between the pet and the hunter on a regular basis sounds pretty cool, however. No idea how they would implement that, though. Essentially, the 'player' hunter would have to take on a lot of the mechanics that pets have, such as AoE immunity, so the computer controlled AI doesn't simply get them killed. I fear this would give BM an unbelievably high skill cap in PvP however, as you'd essentially be controlling two players, since I imagine this would come with a larger array of abilities for the pet whenever you were in direct control of the pet.

aspect of the beast is major for pvp, i cant be tracked yo. i play on a pvp server and while hunting game (bad 80s) i have to use it if its a hunter or druid. so its not pointless but its not for raiding.

Edit: I'm too lazy to proofread.
    I believe you but I wasn't aware of any such AoB and BW combo. I don't really ever PvP outside of Battlegrounds or Arenas, even though I'm on a PvP server, and haven't really needed the stealth aspect of AoB.

I suppose that, given the evidence, AoB does have a niche but, I think my idea would be cooler ;D

10+ Year Old Account

I could go through your post, quote a whole bunch of lines, and then say why they don't make sense / poorly thought through. But, I'll simply take the obvious road and say you've (a) never played a hunter, (b) fail to understand hunter mechanics, (c) never played a class that has used a pet.

You want to make Viper add a longer cool down to spells? Because 50% reduction isn't good enough. Or, rather, bad enough.

You want managing the pets health (7-15% overall damage, depending on gear) to become significantly harder, have the pet's damage become a second rotation for the player, and then some crap about Eyes of the Beast. Why on earth would the player have to spend 50% of an encounter as the Hunter, and 50% as the pet? If this backwards, pants-on-head logic ever was implemented people would probably simply not play a hunter, than deal with some crazy mechanic-based NPC-playing class.

10+ Year Old Account

My first char ever was a Hunter. Neeh... Never went higher than 26, since I got the pet at 19, after mob-leveling the whole way to 26 = Quitted gaming the Hunter :. Still, I were new to the game, and BC was released two weeks after, and since after the release, I rerolled Lock. God, I love Locks!

Quote Originally Posted by Calon
    I could go through your post, quote a whole bunch of lines, and then say why they don't make sense / poorly thought through. But, I'll simply take the obvious road and say you've (a) never played a hunter, (b) fail to understand hunter mechanics, (c) never played a class that has used a pet.

You want to make Viper add a longer cool down to spells? Because 50% reduction isn't good enough. Or, rather, bad enough.

You want managing the pets health (7-15% overall damage, depending on gear) to become significantly harder, have the pet's damage become a second rotation for the player, and then some crap about Eyes of the Beast. Why on earth would the player have to spend 50% of an encounter as the Hunter, and 50% as the pet? If this backwards, pants-on-head logic ever was implemented people would probably simply not play a hunter, than deal with some crazy mechanic-based NPC-playing class.

He said, add cooldowns to shots, cause he wants to boost focus regen by AoV so it then it dont becomes OP.
    And second: He said in BM, damage done should be 50/50 by the hunter and the pet, and put it simply he wants that BM should be more about the pet then the hunter. Read the whole pls and not just the half of it.

PS: Sorry for my bad english, it is not my native language

Dearest Colon,
    I too could read your post then make an argument supported with evidence. Instead, I'll call you a poop face.

Poop face!

My post is centered on the Cataclysm hunter. Where Aspect of the Viper would be completely eliminated. I am proposing that it is changed to an ability that increases focus regeneration and adds a cd to abilities. Essentially, allowing the Hunter to do greater burst, whilst sacrificing long term dps. Obviously you have not been keeping current with Cataclysm updates. I play a hunter because of the pet, so spending half the fight as the pet would be a plus for me.

HOWEVER, you get a cookie for saying, "backwards, pants-on-head logic."
    lolz... pants-on-head

10+ Year Old Account

Viper = Increased focus regen
    Beast = Increased Pet damage
    Dragonhawk = Ap.
    This would be nice for cata.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphernalia
    Viper = Increased focus regen
    Beast = Increased Pet damage
    Dragonhawk = Ap.
    This would be nice for cata.
    This is the best idea, why? Because that's how it is currently (obviously viper's mana regen would convert to focus). You'd think a hunter would know that...

This playing as pet nonsense is laughable reading material, at best. If you wanted to play as an animal, re-roll druid. Warlock & Hunter = Ranged class, melee NPC. Not the other way around. If, but some unimaginable means, was ever implemented, think how OP it would be in PvP. Hide in the corner and let you pet run wild killing people. Not to mention the player would need to know how to play two classes, at once, while seamlessly switching between them for utility and maximum dps.

Overcomplicated silly ideas. They're overcomplicated... and silly.

I don't know about the whole BM thing, though it sounds cool.

As for the usage of other aspects, it is true that AoDH and AoV get more attention than all other aspects, but that's not saying much other than they're the two primary aspects. I find myself using aspect of the wild for many encounters-- in heroics and ICC mainly. I do believe that aspect of the monkey is somewhat redundant and only truly useful for, perhaps, low level soloing and situational PvPing. Aspect of the beast is very handy in my humble opinion whenever you want to get out of a tight jam with another hunter tracking you down.

Anyways, there are copious opportunities in which to use any of your aspects-- you just need to be creative enough to make the best out of any given situation, which, to me, is the very point of being a hunter.

Okay, look. AoB and AoV currently don't serve a purpose in dpsing. Think through what you saying. "(obviously viper's mana regen would convert to focus)." First off "obviously" AoV would be gone, because they said it will be. I'm suggesting a way to keep it in the game. I'm glad you guys think you've found the niche for AoB. I'm proposing that it become an option when you're objective is dps. Just like how I'm proposing that AoV be an option when the objective is dps. Currently niether of these abilities are being used for that. AoV will be removed in Cata and Aob will probably just turn into what it is currently being used for. I don't want that to happen, so I thought of an alternative.
    @Colon- I now understand the kind of hunter you are. Wouldn't you like more difficulty/versatility/fun in the hunter. The more complicated something is, the harder it is to master, therefore, the funner it is. To a point. FUN IS OVERCOMING SOMETHING CHALLENGING! The hunter currently isn't what I would call challenging.

@ Yarj-blah-blah-i
    Originally, or at least when I got it, AoB was to boost the melee damage of you and your pet. It does a pathetic job of that currently and it did in the past, mostly because pet damage is too low, but they added the anti-tracking thing as a bonus. Or wait... maybe it was the other way around. ANYWAY, I see wasted potential in this ability as I have played from 1-80 on a PvP server and I've maybe used the ability twice.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewolf001
    Okay, look. AoB and AoV currently don't serve a purpose in dpsing. Think through what you saying. "(obviously viper's mana regen would convert to focus)." First off "obviously" AoV would be gone, because they said it will be. I'm suggesting a way to keep it in the game. I'm glad you guys think you've found the niche for AoB. I'm proposing that it become an option when you're objective is dps. Just like how I'm proposing that AoV be an option when the objective is dps. Currently niether of these abilities are being used for that. AoV will be removed in Cata and Aob will probably just turn into what it is currently being used for. I don't want that to happen, so I thought of an alternative.
    @Colon- I now understand the kind of hunter you are. Wouldn't you like a like more difficulty/versatility/fun in the hunter. The more complicated something is, the harder it is to master, therefore, the funner it is. To a point. FUN IS OVERCOMING SOMETHING CHALLENGING! The hunter currently isn't what I would call challenging.

@ Yarj-blah-blah-i
    Originally, or at least when I got it, AoB was to boost the melee damage of you and your pet. It does a pathetic job of that currently and it did in the past, mostly because pet damage is too low, but they added the anti-tracking thing as a bonus. Or wait... maybe it was the other way around. ANYWAY, I see wasted potential in this ability as I have played from 1-80 on a PvP server and I've maybe used the ability twice.
    It's really depressing to think that the entire purpose of a hunter is to be a DPS totem. WoW is meant to be a FUN game, not a game where you have to stretch your e-penis to ungodly lengths at the expense of entertainment. In the end, the point in any encounter is to survive. The mentally flat may think of DPS as an end to the means, but it's simply A means. Not even THE means, to a successful end. I've found much use in many of the aspects available to me, and they've all provided extremely satisfactory results. That might be my playstyle, but I'm confident in saying every hunter should at least look at the aspects the way I do. It's not DPS this, DPS that, because that's just boring and stupid.

Didn't they already state that they were changing AoV to focus around focus regain anyway? it will work the same but instead of mana it will be focus

Quote Originally Posted by Yajirushi
    It's really depressing to think that the entire purpose of a hunter is to be a DPS totem. WoW is meant to be a FUN game, not a game where you have to stretch your e-penis to ungodly lengths at the expense of entertainment. In the end, the point in any encounter is to survive. The mentally flat may think of DPS as an end to the means, but it's simply A means. Not even THE means, to a successful end. I've found much use in many of the aspects available to me, and they've all provided extremely satisfactory results. That might be my playstyle, but I'm confident in saying every hunter should at least look at the aspects the way I do. It's not DPS this, DPS that, because that's just boring and stupid.
    You... kind of said nothing. What do you do in raids? I dps, as is my job. You're right, the object of any encounter is to survive. Tanks "survive" by taking as little damage as possible. Healers "survive" by healing the damaged. Dps "survive" by doing damage. IT IS THE MEANS! Please, give examples when dps is not "the means" by which for a hunter to make an encounter successful. I can think of a handful but, that's because our job, at those few times, isn't dps, it's kiting etc. Hunters do their assigned job like everyone else and the majority, almost the entirety, of that job is doing damage. Your posts have WAY to much gobbly gook and bing words!