Spell Pen for pally

Clearly I don't play a pally but I heard that Arp isn't all the sexy because most of your damage is spell. So what does spell pen do for you? It's the morning I haven't had my coffee my thinking is off don't call me a noob lol
    Spacehobo is the coolest DK on KT(US)

Deleted

Re: Spell Pen for pally

...Not jack shit?
    Holy can't be resisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie
    ...Not jack shit?
    Holy can't be resisted.
    And even if it could be it would only be useful for PVP

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    Nothing
    I believe DS is Physical Damage, and although the rest are mostly Holy Damage, there's no holy resist in game. As such, while bosses will have a certain resistance to all spell types, i don't believe the mechanic for holy resistance and spell penetration for the holy school is actually present. Even so, i don't believe spell penetration works outside of PvP.

Additionally, you'd lose too many of your main stats for it to be a worthy trade-off.
    Ah, I see thanks for the informative answer. =)
    Spacehobo is the coolest DK on KT(US)

There is no resistance again Holy. However I believe + "all resist" gems and enchants add to holy resist, but it does not show up on your character information.
    Any mob higher lvl than you has a chance to resist aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessa
    But this can not be reduced by spell pen.

There is no resistance again Holy. However I believe + "all resist" gems and enchants add to holy resist, but it does not show up on your character information.
    I don't think so. +"all resist" effects only affect Fire, Frost, Arcane, Shadow and Nature, not holy or physical.

"-all damage" effects like Defensive Stance and Frost Presence DO effect all including Holy and Physical.

Since Paladins do some Physical damage (35%-40%) I believe, ArP is not completely useless. Spell penetration is however completely useless as Paladins don't do any Fire, Frost, Arcane, Shadow or Nature damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit:Spelling.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

spell pen is basically negative resist

so if i have 50 shadow resistance and you have 60 spell pen i now have no shadow resistance.

there is no holy resist buffs / gear in the game so it litterally is pointless for pallies...

its really a pvp stat anyway. most mobs dont have resistance.

Self proclaimed lore nerd~
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen
    Spell penetration is however completely useless as Paladins don't do any ire, Frost, Arcane, Shadow or Nature damage.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I has Fiery Weapon on my Shadowmourne ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The most nerfed class in WoW is <my class>. <my class> seems to get nerfed every damn patch, unlike those <other class> that get buffed and still want more!

Everyone whined about paladin's doing holy damage so crusader strike and divine storm are considered physical damage now. Judgement, Consecrate and exo are considered holy damage.

Spell pen does not work like armor pen. Armor pen (which is actually pretty decent for a paladin depending on set bonuses and other gear) lowers the armor of a target therefore increasing damage. As far as I know, spell pen lowers spell resistance but in terms of having a spell resist. Don't think it actually increases damage.

Regardless, as a poster said earlier, there is only one potion from blade's edge that has holy resistance. Other than that, no one would have resistance to it anyway.

Hope that helped.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skiball
    Everyone whined about paladin's doing holy damage so crusader strike and divine storm are considered physical damage now
    Crusader strike was never holy damage, at least on live since tbc

15+ Year Old Account

There IS Holy Resistance in the game mechanics, but it's hidden and can't be modified by players.

As such, players do not have an innate holy resistance, so PvP-wise, Spell Pen is useless (you can't push something below 0).

Also, mobs' resistances are static values that cannot be altered by players in any way. Thus PvE-wise as well, Spell Pen is useless, since the resistance can't be ignored or diminished by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    Crusader strike was never holy damage, at least on live since tbc
    Yes, it was, "fixed" shortly after BC came out

10+ Year Old Account

This is partially right, +all resist gems do not add resistance to holy. However all mobs higher then you do have the chance to innately resist your spell damage, this can be seen in boss fights as a ret paladin if you enable your combat log to track everything.

I noticed this a long time ago in BC, on average at least 5% (depends on luck of the roll) of our holy damage is resisted when fighting boss lvl mobs from what i could tell.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skiball
    Yes, it was, "fixed" shortly after BC came out
    find me a patch note with this, thanks

Deleted

crusader strike was never holy damage.
    but it was the only mele attak that scaled with spelldamage for a while

spell pen is bad for a pally no matter what your doin
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen