Thread: Forum stats

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Forum stats

An idea to possibly get rid of the trolls.

Add a + or - beside each post so the posted can be given a + for a constructive response and a - for a bad one. Similar to wowhead.

Just a thought
    Cake!

Re: Forum stats

I could see this working I am getting tierd of all the trolls....
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&cn=Andrewjw

I like this idea as well. throwing in my support.

Possibly have it in specific places, for instance i wouldn't want an RPer to have their post downranked because they have poor english only to have it removed from the story and making it all wierd. (obvious bias here )
    Thanks Drael

Marcus Human Warrior
    Tyran Human Priest

Nope, not for the post it self, but for the POSTER. I am all in for POSTER rate.
    Jamshield - Silvermoon EU

You do have the risk of this getting abused.
    I don't agree with you, - for you.
    Your English isn't perfect, - for you.
    Your dog smells funny, + for you.
    Your name isn't RP enough for me, - for you.
    You look smarter than me, - for you.
    I don't like this guy, - for him.

Anonymity + ratings = bad usually. But if it does come, I'll be down-rating everyone with worse spelling and grammar than me . (I'm so getting a - for that.)

10+ Year Old Account

Then do what wowhead does : people who get downrated a lot do not have much "karma" aka their up/downrates count for less while a poster who gets a lot of uprates has a lot of "karma" aka their up/downrates count for more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

I disagree with Panoram. WoWhead has put it to use and serves as an excellent example.

For every person that does a (- NYNER NYNER YOU SUCK) there will be a (+ there was NO reason do downrank that! )

Thanks Drael

Marcus Human Warrior
    Tyran Human Priest

Deleted

No. Reputation systems are horrible and do not work, especially on forums.

"This guy has the most rep so I'm going to agree with him, I don't want to look noobish"
    "Haha he only has 3 +s he mustn't know a thing"
    "Give me +" in signatures
    etc. It turns into a form of elitism on forums.

Thing is: Wowhead is an entirely different system. Wowhead does comments on quests/NPCs/whatever with this system. Comments on these sort of things are a fairly basic thing, it deals with facts rather than opinions. Here, in the forums, it's mostly the opposite.

You all see how flaming and trolling here, however hard we work to stamp it out. And I'm sure you've all seen people being flamed or insulted for not having the same opinion as whomever does the flaming/insulting. These would also downrate that poor person's posts and could end up ruining somebody's posting career just because spiteful people exist here.

If the kinks are worked out, I agree it could work. But at the same time, there would have to be pretty definite rules on exactly what deserves a + and what deserves a -

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Panoramixe
    Anonymity + ratings = bad usually. But if it does come, I'll be down-rating everyone with worse spelling and grammar than me . (I'm so getting a - for that.)
    But i gave you a pony D:
    I am on the fence for this. I would like to see a internal rank, such as VIP titles or something, but a person by person base could end in "you disagreed with me? - for you" in which its self defeating. Possibly sounding communist for a sec, the power should not reside in the people for this one. maybe if current or new(because i know current mods have alot to do already) neutral mods handed out these + and - ranks it would end better

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Bump? And +1 support.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyrex
    An idea to possibly get rid of the trolls.

Add a + or - beside each post so the posted can be given a + for a constructive response and a - for a bad one. Similar to wowhead.

Just a thought
    I want medals for destroying trolls such as defeating 2 in a row without falling for tricks or anything... It would be something like Double Kill! Triple Kill! Overkill!

(I play halo so what), also I partially support this, however even with it haters would just downrate you even if you are right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side
    maybe if current or new(because i know current mods have alot to do already) neutral mods handed out these + and - ranks it would end better
    I can do that! I don't see how to make that system work out easily, but it would be interesting if we could find a way to emphasize the exceptionally helpful members.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    I can do that! I don't see how to make that system work out easily, but it would be interesting if we could find a way to emphasize the exceptionally helpful members.
    Il try to figure out some details. If you find anything wrong with it when i post it, let me know and il see if i can tweak it. I will edit this post
    When a designated mod sees the post, they will add a +1 or -1 either right away or whenever they can. I dont know what the technology would be and the limitations but it would go something like this
    "You are a failretpalladinlololololol!!!11" -1 mod doesnt have to say anything
    Naturaly, it would be easy to give people -1s, but you would want to be pretty tough on the +1s, make them valueable. I imagine the +1s would be for important threads, like compilation threads.
    Ex. "The ultimate worgen discussion thread!" +1 to Inarus for this well made and personaly moderated thread, this is deffinatly deserving.
    Naturaly, the person/people who hand out these points are going to have to be neutral and take the job seriously. No "you disagree with me, -1" type deal.

If you can think of any plot-holes, let me know

-1s seem like a waste of time, tbh, I'd rather just ban people who go "failretpaladinlolololol!!!11." +1s could still be useful for whatever reason, dunno. Regardless of how perfect you make the system, convincing Dinnerbone will be your first plot-hole.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    -1s seem like a waste of time, tbh, I'd rather just ban people who go "failretpaladinlolololol!!!11." +1s could still be useful for whatever reason, dunno. Regardless of how perfect you make the system, convincing Dinnerbone will be your first plot-hole.
    Im not realy in it to convince, im just trying to provide a oppertunity to make it work. Granted, -1 is indeed a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    No. Reputation systems are horrible and do not work, especially on forums.

"This guy has the most rep so I'm going to agree with him, I don't want to look noobish"
    "Haha he only has 3 +s he mustn't know a thing"
    "Give me +" in signatures
    etc. It turns into a form of elitism on forums.
    +1...?
    Anyway, its basically this. Its already bad enough that people will just quote random people, say they agree and not have an idea of wtf they mean.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphernalia
    +1...?
    Anyway, its basically this. Its already bad enough that people will just quote random people, say they agree and not have an idea of wtf they mean.
    Well, on the bright side, rather than post "I agree," people might just +1 the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Omid the younger
    Nope, not for the post it self, but for the POSTER. I am all in for POSTER rate.
    Sign.
    Although, there would have to be a strict rule of no bandwagon voting, aka someone says something trollish...another idiots trolls his post which many other idiots agree with, they all vote deconstructive to the first troll whom later becomes banned and grows up to be a heroin addict because of it.
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

not to sound mean or anything but i think this idea is impossible as many of the wow comunity just like to piss people off
    Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face!