New to BGs, are there any maps?

So I've done nothing but PVE the entire time I've played wow. I started before BGs existed (I started playing right before Dire Maul was added, whatever patch that was) I did a bit of world pvp back in the day but that was about it.

Well I've started messing around and WSG, EotS, and AB are pretty common sense but I'm completely confused on the other BGs.

AV: I know your suposed to go to the other factions base and kill their general but I have no clue what all the other stuff in the middle is for.

SotA: No clue at all

IoC: Looks to me like a ramped up AV with siege. I have heard people talk about seaforium but have no clue where to get it or even where I would use it. Don't know the uniqueness of each each vehicle or base.

Basically I'm wondering if there is a FAQ anywhere or maybe labeled maps or just strategies. I mean farming honor is fine, but I hate just leaching points without having any clue whats going on.

Re: New to BGs, are there any maps?

AV

The generals are very difficult to kill in a pug without removing their adds. For every enemy tower that you successfully destroy, one enemy add despawns. The graveyards are there to assist you in capturing the towers and assaulting the main base.

SotA

Simplest battleground in the game. Vehicles and bombs damage the gates. Players on offense carry bombs and drive vehicles; players on defense kill bomb carriers and tanks. The goal on offense is to destroy the final, southernmost gate faster than the other team. The goal on defense is to prevent them from reaching that gate.

IoC

Most complex battleground in the game with a variety of winning strategies. The goal is ultimately to kill the enemy general; however, he isn't accessible until at least one of the three enemy fortress gates is destroyed.

Hangar -- gives you access to an airship from which you can parachute into the enemy base and carry Huge Seaforium bombs from piles near the keep to a fortress gate (west is usually preferable). Guns on the airship do enormous damage to players in the keep but are not effective against gates.

Workshop -- gives you access to four demolishers, slow vehicles with a catapult, ram, and two passenger seats. Also has piles of seaforium bombs that players can pick up and plant on the outside of enemy gates. If you hold the workshop for 3 minutes straight, it produces an extremely powerful siege engine with four different gunner spots that is MAINLY useful for tearing up groups of enemy players; it's somewhat effective against walls, but an experienced player will use it to capture bases or clear out defense forces inside the keep.

Dock -- gives you access to glaive throwers and catapults. Glaives are fast vehicles with low health and very long range. They shoot a fast, accurate projectile that does high damage to both gates and players. They need protection at all times while assaulting the fortress because they're so easy to kill on their own. Catapults are useful for only one thing: throwing players inside the enemy keep to run bombs (similar to the airship).

Quarry and Oil Rig -- each give bonus siege damage and honor to the faction that controls them.

The generals -- simple tank and spank for the most part; however, if you pull them outside their rooms, they enrage. This is bad because they periodically do an AOE called Crushing Leap that takes off most of the attacking group's health normally. If the general is outside of the room and AOEs, the group is one-shotted.

Hm, thx. What exactly is invovled in destroying towers in AV? Are they attackable or do you just stand near them for a period of time like capturing bases in AB?

Taking flags like an AB, and keep them for 2? 3? min.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by boazjuggalo
    Hm, thx. What exactly is invovled in destroying towers in AV? Are they attackable or do you just stand near them for a period of time like capturing bases in AB?
    run inside and up the stairs to the top, cap the flag and hold for 4 minutes. you can also defend your own by re-capping, yes like AB

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Several places online have maps; I tend to check wowhead.com for stuff first.

Alterac Valley
    Arathi Basin
    etc. (The search feature is pretty straightforward.)

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuantum
    Several places online have maps; I tend to check wowhead.com for stuff first.

Alterac Valley
    Arathi Basin
    etc. (The search feature is pretty straightforward.)
    Yea but those maps tell me a little less than the ingame map says since there is nothing labeled on them. :-(

10+ Year Old Account

I just hope they are 40vs40 with unavoidable meeting in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by dabros
    run inside and up the stairs to the top, cap the flag and hold for 4 minutes. you can also defend your own by re-capping, yes like AB
    They are flags just like in AB, however, once you have taken an enemy tower flag and held it for 4 minutes, it cannot be recaptured by the opponents. The tower is permanently destroyed which also weakens the final general and removes one of his adds.

maybe its also nice to say that each add in av gives the final boss 1 less buff(25% extra dmg/hp if i remember correct)