Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Old gods, and the culmination of their designs in Cataclysm

Seeing as how the old gods make their move in Cataclysm it is that time agian, a new old god speculation thread.

The old gods are almighty, they could not even be bested by the titans, only imprisoned, and they want out! Everything we have seen of the old gods up until now is all part of their plan to free themselves from the grasp of the titan prisons. C'thun was the first to be liberated. After a devestating war and long imprisonment the mortal races of Azeroth thought that they could best the old god and its armies. And they 'did', or at least that is what we are meant to believe. Let us assume that much of the old god lore is indeed based on Lovecraftian Cthulu mythology, C'thun might be dead, or as we might see dead, but old gods do not live and they do not die, he is still dreaming, able to corrupt so he can amass a following so he is resurrected into this world. With C'thun liberated and defeated (still bound by his titan prison I believe, but the gates of Ahn'Qiraj are opened), phase one of the return of the old gods is complete.

Phase two begins, Yogg-Saron corrupted the lich-king long before the third war began. Some of his corrupting powers come directly from him ("Blizzard representatives have stated that they feel the connection between Yogg-Saron and the Lich King ended up being poorly expressed in-game,[9] but added that it "had a lot to do with the ability for mortals to become corrupted."[10]"). Yogg-saron sends the forces of the lich-king to battle so he can lure the alliance and the horde to him and his goals. With this distraction C'thun is making his return to this world ("While the Lich King attacked Stormwind City and Orgrimmar and King Varian Wrynn and Warchief Thrall were distracted, Cho'gall began the resurrection of his new master - the Old God C'Thun. This deformed the ogre's body which became monstrous and with similar features to his master's."). With the other old god returning into this world, free of the shackles that held him so long, phase two is well under way. Yogg-Saron lures the brave adventurors into Ulduar so they can finish of the maddened titan guards and stop the only thing that can stop their plans, Algalon the observer. The only thing the old gods have to fear is titans destroying the planet they are embedded in. The titans might not have deemed it necessary in the past, they will surely not make that mistake twice. Thus with the only means of getting backup destroyed, and the second old god liberated (no more titan jailors to deal with, no more threat of 're-originasation') (and killed in the same manner as C'thun), the stage is set for phase three.

With one of their most powerful minions (Deathwing) wreaking havoc on the world of Azeroth and the mortal races left in a terrible war (which was started by the lich-king (and thus by Yogg-Saron) at the roof of the world) the twilight cult has the oppertunity to start summoning in some reinforcements, old generals are making their return (Ragnaros and Faceless ones buried everywhere). At least five years have passed before the cataclysm hits Azeroth giving the twilight cult ample time to start the resurrection of the God of Death, Yogg-Saron, to make his glorious return into this world, ready to wreak havoc with the other old gods and consume the world of Azeroth.

But that is not all, as we could see, the old gods have influenced all of the major events in the history of Azeroth, they corrupted Neltharion and made the Demon Soul, they are responsible for the assassination of the king of Stormwind, they are responsible for the appointment of Bolvar as the new lich-king. Every event in the history of Azeroth is shaped by the old Gods, and they are nearing their goals if you look at the shear size of the twilight cults activities in days to come. This is the hour of the old gods, this is the time that the dreaming gods will take their rightful place as rulers of Azeroth!

See that the end is finaly upon us, don your purple robes and cheer for the coming storm. Revel in the choas, the death and all the destruction that will herald the beginning of the final dusk! Bow down before the true gods of Azeroth!
    [b]U'ulmu ithisarag gagera'gog wussssh!

Deleted

Re: Old gods, and the culmination of their designs in Cataclysm

tl:dr The old gods made us kill them so they can be reborn without gates/keepers holding them back so they can ravage the lands undisturbed by powers that could stop them...

The old gods will never die but .... will they ever be stopped?

In war of the ancient : The sundering

SPOILER

Spoiler draws near

You had your chance

Malfurion wields the demon soul he heard a whisper of an old god but he didn't really know what the voice was, he was nearly mad until brox beated him.

Now here is what i want to know

When he says "The oldest and darkest creature of azeroth, the old gods, if deathwing will realise them, the panthion will fall. Krasus warn alexstrasza"

But aren't they actully in realizing state as deathwing riped azeroth 1nc apart? We just helped them get even closer to realize?

Those are the real question

I am not sorry if u got spoiled, i gave u 3 warnings!

Edit : I didn't remember wich night elf it was, i only remember he wanted to save a chick and he was drivin insane cause of that

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skohsl
    tl:dr The old gods made us kill them so they can be reborn without gates/keepers holding them back so they can ravage the lands undisturbed by powers that could stop them...
    A good theory, a good alternAtive to my current theory. But I have many theories on this

Quote Originally Posted by Al'akir the windlord

When he says "The oldest and darkest creature of azeroth, the old gods, if deathwing will realise them, the panthion will fall. Krasus warn alexstrasza"

Edit : I didn't remember wich night elf it was, i only remember he wanted to save a chick and he was drivin insane cause of that
    It sounds like its saying if death wing realises he was controled by the old gods the titans council will fall. So if deathwing realises that he was driven mad by the old gods he does something exremely bad. Possibly breaking them from their prisons by "destroying" them
    Quote Originally Posted by Given View Post
    I wasnt healing enough, i know my warlock sucks...
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    I got kicked once during Wrath for not rezzing somebody who died.

The curious part is that I was playing a mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Al'akir the windlord

Illidan is most likely who you are thinking of. Seeing as you read the books or parts of it, it seems i really don't have to go into detail as to why or how.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side
    A good theory, a good alternAtive to my current theory. But I have many theories on this
    I'm just a little bit afraid that blizzard has no idea where they are going with certain stories, they could have implied so much more in the quests, in the story telling as a whole. It seems they just add things because it seems right at the time, rather than thinking it through and planning ahead.

This is evident with Kael Thas and his 'merely a setback', they could have made him escape, perhaps even let the whole thing collapse into itself and get sucked into the void, thus giving Kiljaeden a chance to return him with demon-infused powers, rather than saying, 'yeah, he was dead, but he came back, you should have burned the corpse or summat'. The same thing seems to be happening to old god lore.

In Wrath of the Lich King you know that there is a lot of lore that is not being told, implying that Yogg-Saron influenced the events of 10,000 years before, luring the Burning Legion to Azeroth, the black blood of Yogg-Saron being used by the Lich King and his undead armies, what kind of effects does this have on them, what is the effect of Saronite on the mortal races that wield it, that use it to construct weapons, or even large scale defences?
    (The new Orgrimmar looks a lot like the settlements in Northrend, which seem to use a lot of iron, which is largely available in the form of Saronite, that is why it all looks similar to Icecrown (which is also made from Saronite). Are the orcs fortifying their capital city with the blood of an old god? Will the corrupting influence have its effects on the citizens of Orgrimmar?).

Too many questions that are left unanswered, some might be explained in Cataclysm, but many more will never be fully explained, but worst of all, some might be explained later with some slight retconning, 'Ulduar was merely a setback!'.

Does blizzard have a plan for the old gods, or do they roam the speculation threads for good ideas... only time will tell...

15+ Year Old Account

I'm just a little bit afraid that blizzard has no idea where they are going with certain stories, they could have implied so much more in the quests, in the story telling as a whole. It seems they just add things because it seems right at the time, rather than thinking it through and planning ahead.

This is evident with Kael Thas and his 'merely a setback', they could have made him escape, perhaps even let the whole thing collapse into itself and get sucked into the void, thus giving Kiljaeden a chance to return him with demon-infused powers, rather than saying, 'yeah, he was dead, but he came back, you should have burned the corpse or summat'. The same thing seems to be happening to old god lore.

In Wrath of the Lich King you know that there is a lot of lore that is not being told, implying that Yogg-Saron influenced the events of 10,000 years before, luring the Burning Legion to Azeroth, the black blood of Yogg-Saron being used by the Lich King and his undead armies, what kind of effects does this have on them, what is the effect of Saronite on the mortal races that wield it, that use it to construct weapons, or even large scale defences?
    (The new Orgrimmar looks a lot like the settlements in Northrend, which seem to use a lot of iron, which is largely available in the form of Saronite, that is why it all looks similar to Icecrown (which is also made from Saronite). Are the orcs fortifying their capital city with the blood of an old god? Will the corrupting influence have its effects on the citizens of Orgrimmar?).

Too many questions that are left unanswered, some might be explained in Cataclysm, but many more will never be fully explained, but worst of all, some might be explained later with some slight retconning, 'Ulduar was merely a setback!'.

Does blizzard have a plan for the old gods, or do they roam the speculation threads for good ideas... only time will tell...
    i dont think blizz has it all figured out, but i doubt they roam speculation threads for ideas either. They make it up as they go along, as we have seen with the timeline of the planet as well as the Draenei arc.

My theory is that we have only killed a small part of them, with the rest of them being chained far undeground. I also like the theory that we kill all of them, but they slowly regenerate over time.

well i suppose this could all make sense that they arent really dead, if u consider that its some way to drag back the titans to azeroth. The titans couldnt kill the old god because i think it would have destroyed the planet or something, and i suppose that means we havent actually killed them because surly we would have done the same. BUT i dont c it going that way tbh, i think blizz will just leave them dead cuz there is like 4 more when u consider 3 are dead in various parts of the world ie Ctun, Yogg saron and that one in the elf place with the big sword in its head. (not sure if the warcraft 3 one in the scourge campaign agaisnt was really a god so not counting it.) yea anyway... i reckon we will kill em off one by one until its time for sargerus and the titans to come. As in the emerald dream one is an old god corupting it (implied).

i have the feeling that the old gods are just a way to keep us aware of the titans until then because the 2 groups are so closly linked. Thats they they arent the actually headline acts of the expansions thus far even though they have an underlying effect on Deathwing, LK and so on.

edit: Appologise spelling and grammar has never been my strong point...

my 2 cents

Well somthing wrong with this.

Cthun wasnt lockd up and had no titans guarding him like Yogg did so we basically just disrupted his plan to use the silithid to take over Kalimdor. And Yogg he was better off being in Ulduar, he had the power of his Titan Keepers with him, all the titan technology/weapons that wer in Ulduar, and not to mention useing Loken to start the war between the Iron and stone provided enough cover and back up to follow through with w/e his in plan was.

While this Theory could work with the 3 to ? other old gods we have on azeroth, atm it doesnt apply to the only 2 we have encounterd.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

If C'thun shows his face again Im gonna be a sad panda.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Revenant
    well i suppose this could all make sense that they arent really dead, if u consider that its some way to drag back the titans to azeroth. The titans couldnt kill the old god because i think it would have destroyed the planet or something, and i suppose that means we havent actually killed them because surly we would have done the same. BUT i dont c it going that way tbh, i think blizz will just leave them dead cuz there is like 4 more when u consider 3 are dead in various parts of the world ie Ctun, Yogg saron and that one in the elf place with the big sword in its head. (not sure if the warcraft 3 one in the scourge campaign agaisnt was really a god so not counting it.) yea anyway... i reckon we will kill em off one by one until its time for sargerus and the titans to come. As in the emerald dream one is an old god corupting it (implied).

i have the feeling that the old gods are just a way to keep us aware of the titans until then because the 2 groups are so closly linked. Thats they they arent the actually headline acts of the expansions thus far even though they have an underlying effect on Deathwing, LK and so on.

edit: Appologise spelling and grammar has never been my strong point...

my 2 cents
    I am fairly sure that darkshore being isnt a old god. I believe its a very very high ranking minion - even higher than the "general" or "Harbringer" status

I want a old god based on Hands. How'd you like dem apples, eh Hentai? That'll be a treat , damn tentacle thingies.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Vehemence
    I want a old god based on Hands. How'd you like dem apples, eh Hentai? That'll be a treat , damn tentacle thingies.

BAM!

I sometimes think blizzard doesn't actually know what direction they are going in with the old gods. Maybe this speculation is exactly the same that goes on with blizz devs. "oh hes a cool twist we can throw in....maybe they all combine at the end!"

Old Gold Voltron... assemble.

maybe the old gods plan is to draw the titans back to Azeroth? for some reason

I have a theory ....

Yogg-Saron was locked up in ulduar

But according to the lore

"The titans shattered the dark kingdom and sealed them below the earth"

What if ulduar was originally his main "kingdom" he ruled ...

Then Ahn'qiraj was c'thuns kingdom and more more stuff

But then ... why did the titans lock the doors to AQ?

why did the titans call "ulduar" their city ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas
    Well somthing wrong with this.

Cthun wasnt lockd up and had no titans guarding him like Yogg did so we basically just disrupted his plan to use the silithid to take over Kalimdor. And Yogg he was better off being in Ulduar, he had the power of his Titan Keepers with him, all the titan technology/weapons that wer in Ulduar, and not to mention useing Loken to start the war between the Iron and stone provided enough cover and back up to follow through with w/e his in plan was.

While this Theory could work with the 3 to ? other old gods we have on azeroth, atm it doesnt apply to the only 2 we have encounterd.
    The titans however did believe they killed Cthun according to lore or at least from what I have been told never was very sure where the information came from.

Either way he was at very least trapped inside the earth and there could of very well been chains that the silithid army removed.
    Or you know like being trapped underground and there is no door why bother with chains.

Basically you're all done for and should probably just stop trying.
    God; I hate you people.