Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: How complex should DPS rotations be?

Make the decision process of rotations harder, but less fucking button presses.

I'm sick of feeling like my arm is going to fall off at the end of a raid night.

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022
    easy...
    disable addons ...the horrors ...except for palas
    The game is balanced around addons, not using them is just adding artificial difficulty where it shouldn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account

The fact that results of a same class dps vary so much i can say that rotations it's ok, if you are good enough you qill get every tiny bit of DPS gain you can and still may be room for improvement if you are mediocre you will be in the middle and if you are bad you can roll a Paladin (sorry dunno why i said that)

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen
    The fact that results of a same class dps vary so much i can say that rotations it's ok, if you are good enough you qill get every tiny bit of DPS gain you can and still may be room for improvement if you are mediocre you will be in the middle and if you are bad you can roll a Paladin (sorry dunno why i said that)
    Thats usually not deom rotations (the top 10 of a certain class on a certain boss) It's down to latency clipping, handling movement well, stacking cooldowns properly, pre-pots and other things.
    Lag - Network related. High server response time, stop downloading.
    Low FPS - Your computer can't keep up with the game - buy a better one

Dalaran doesn't lag (often) your pc just sucks.

RIP Paul Gray

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez
    uhh, yea you have

enh is the most complex rotation

1) Maelstrom Weapon x 5 stacks - Lightning Bolt
    2) Flame Shock
    3) Stormstrike if debuff not active
    4) Lightning Shield if not active
    5) Fire Elemental
    6) Magma Totem if not active
    7) Spirit Wolves
    8 ) Shamanistic Rage
    9) Earthshock
    10) Stormstrike
    11) Lava Lash
    12) Fire Nova
    13) Magma Totem
    14) Lightning Shield

and this is all while having to move in most fights, deal with gcds, etc
    I really don't feel like writing the MOST complex rotation,feral cat.

And imo Feral is perfect for me as far as dps goes,I'm not topping the charts and shit but it's a nice complex rotation.

Most of this thread is pointless (its just people moaning about how hard or easy peoples rotations are or how hard there one is.) Rotations shouldn't be hard but require a bit of focus. I personally play a enhancement shaman, its not hard its knowing your class. Encounters should be harder with less room for errors, not rotations. I shouldn't have to have a clean simple UI with minimal memory usage and other things to try decrease my lag so i can do more dps. Dps rotations should require one to know there class but still so u don't have to tunnel vision because your watching 8 different things at once, then blizzard can make encounters slightly more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen
    For the most part, high DPS-differences don't (or at least, shouldn't) come from the used rotation. It is not WHAT (rotation) to do but HOW you do it: not clipping, minimizing movement, min/maxing gear, gems and enchants, reacting to procs on next GCD rather than the one after, timing cooldowns, tracking trinket/weapon enchant internal cooldowns and using that to advantage, handling threat, handling mana, quick target-switching, handling adds efficiently, preparing in advance for boss abilities, micromanaging pet/minion, using all available buffs like pet food, using instant abilities when moving, doublepotting, using encounter-specific tricks, using abilities instantly as they finish their cooldown, not dieing or taking unnecessary debuffs.. the list goes on. None of those add a huge DPS-increase, but these little things are cumulative.

I previously simulated the DPS-difference of BiS geared enhancement shaman with optimal rotation and one using reverse priority list (PLEASE don't continue the flaming regarding enhancement: I use enhancement as an example here because abilities are not dependent on each other and are thus easy to reverse, I know the spec well, and because I already did those simulations). The difference caused by wrong priorities was mere 10%. However, the difference between a bad and good player in similar gear levels (one min/maxed, the other random physical DPS mail pieces of similar ilvls) can still be as huge as the good player dealing double the damage, even if both stay alive during the whole encounter. That suggests that only 20% of the damage-difference is explained by rotation. This amount varies from spec to spec, but rotation will always be a small factor, as long as you don't skip major abilities.

This is also a relevant point to the topic, which I haven't previously stated: The DPS in real encounters, even tank and spank, is affected mostly by other things than the complexity of rotation/priority system. This is why even the simplest of specs scale a great deal with skill. There is a sweet spot in which the complexity should be for it to be fun, but even with one button rotation I can see ~30% difference between bad and perfect player in real raiding situations.

there are a few challenging rotations in wow for PvE those are...

MM hunter

Enhance sham

Unholy dk

Affl lock

Feral druid

the specs i listed aren't in any particular order but these are the 5 only somewhat complicated rotations in pve...IMO!!!

if the hardest hardest tho its FERAL AND ENHANCE NO DOUBT!

Awesome sig by Nifzilla!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormhusk
    Unholy dk
    This is the easiest death knight build to play, try again.

10+ Year Old Account

DPS ? faceroll ? It is when you're doing 6th , 7th on meters.

I found it quite amusing to the the afflock mentioned rather often.

I raid on all lockspecs, and think aff is the most straightforward one, though very unforgiving.

In the end all of them are fine, I would like to see equally easy/hard rotations and the boss encounter making the difference.

Warlocks have a fun to play level of complexity. Arcane mages need to be harder for example. Enhancement Shammy seems like hell atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Therastos
    The DPS in real encounters, even tank and spank, is affected mostly by other things than the complexity of rotation/priority system. This is why even the simplest of specs scale a great deal with skill. There is a sweet spot in which the complexity should be for it to be fun, but even with one button rotation I can see ~30% difference between bad and perfect player in real raiding situations.
    Thank you for getting back to the topic rather than pointless rotation/abilities posts.

Regarding what the OP was talking about, obviously there is a DPS difference between a bad/mediocre/good players. Whether is 60/80/100 or 30/60/100, I dont think thats what Blizz has in mind when they develop abilities and coefficients. In a perfect Azeroth, I would like to see a 50/75/100 balance between all specs, but that wont happen.

I think DPS rotations should look like a blind man playing mozart, hard-to-believe and crazy yet having amazing fluidity if preformed correctly.
    For the Forsaken and Glory to the Banshee Queen!

Anything harder than an Arcane Mage and Elemental Shaman and anything easier than a Feral Druid. Enhancement Shaman rotation is fun.

I have enha shammy, DK, lock and a hunter. So far the most fun rotation is surv huter. You have 2 dots, you have prio queue and you have procs. Enha is hard but I don't mind it, but since like 70% dmg is passive, there is next to o diff betwee and good and a bad enha shammys.

So yeah Surv hunter is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormhusk
    there are a few challenging rotations in wow for PvE those are...

MM hunter
    No.

Unholy dk
    No.

Unholy is the easiest DK spec.
    MM is the middle-ground Hunter spec, but still really easy.

15+ Year Old Account

i find it funny that people look at the Elemental rotation (LBx5-LVB, repeat, flameshock when it falls off.) and go "FACEROLL" but when you actually play elemental and try to keep your stuff on point, you realize you can't because you had to move for malleable goo and your dps just went down 500-1000.

elemental is not forgiving whatsoever unless you have a demo lock in raid and can be sure that searing/magma will be where the boss is when you have to move. due to the nature of talents and the range on frost shock, you have to be within a certain range to DPS on the move.

any fight that has frequent movement will tank elemental DPS no matter what and Ele will only be able to shine on planet-alignment, patchwerk fights - a veritable turret.

fury is harder than elemental? don't make me laugh. fury can spam WW in their normal rotation and never have to think about when to cleave, same with Ret, while Elemental, you have to be highly responsive and know when to cast CL to cleave other targets, as your dps will go down if CL hits one target (unless you just got done moving.)

Quote Originally Posted by msdos
    i find it funny that people look at the Elemental rotation (LBx5-LVB, repeat, flameshock when it falls off.) and go "FACEROLL" but when you actually play elemental and try to keep your stuff on point, you realize you can't because you had to move for malleable goo and your dps just went down 500-1000.

elemental is not forgiving whatsoever unless you have a demo lock in raid and can be sure that searing/magma will be where the boss is when you have to move. due to the nature of talents and the range on frost shock, you have to be within a certain range to DPS on the move.

any fight that has frequent movement will tank elemental DPS no matter what and Ele will only be able to shine on planet-alignment, patchwerk fights - a veritable turret.

fury is harder than elemental? don't make me laugh. fury can spam WW in their normal rotation and never have to think about when to cleave, same with Ret, while Elemental, you have to be highly responsive and know when to cast CL to cleave other targets, as your dps will go down if CL hits one target (unless you just got done moving.)
    cant decide whether trolling or really thick. are you seriously going to say elemental is a hard rotation because its stationary? casters have always had cast times, what the dick man.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by krillianlol
    cant decide whether trolling or really thick. are you seriously going to say elemental is a hard rotation because its stationary? casters have always had cast times, what the dick man.
    read my post, did i say anywhere that it's hard?

what i said was it's not forgiving at all. the difficulty isn't in the rotation, it's in the nature of the tree.

if it's a movement fight, you will do the least amount of damage possible as Elemental. that's not the case at all for other casters.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by msdos
    read my post, did i say anywhere that it's hard?

what i said was it's not forgiving at all. the difficulty isn't in the rotation, it's in the nature of the tree.

if it's a movement fight, you will do the least amount of damage possible as Elemental. that's not the case at all for other casters.
    Moonkins would like a word with you.

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.