Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Warlock Threat

Do you guys notice generating more threat lately then usual ...

Ive been having problems with pulling bosses off from tanks and SS is always on CD.

this is more the case in 10m then 25m though.

Re: Warlock Threat

Does your 10m have any Rogues/Hunters/Pally's? It's possible you're without all 3, which would greatly increase your chance of pulling. Rogues can Tricks the tank, Hunters and MD the tank, and Pally's can Salv. you.

If none of this is working, or possible - save SS for as long as possible, as the later you use it the more effective it is.

10+ Year Old Account

This is something we've noticed as a guild since the buff hit 20%, DPS is outscaling tank threat. We had a few problems last week where basically whoever didn't have vigilance was pulling aggro. It's not just Warlocks, but Fury Warriors and Fire Mages have similar problems. We have 3-4 Rogues in the raid, and at least a couple of Hunters usually so we've just had to be more savvy with Tricks/Misdirects. It's going to be a pain when the buff reaches 30% though, as it starts to get counter productive when a buff that's meant to be increasing your damage is actually causing you to do strange things to limit it.

Last night, on The Lich King 10m normal, during phase transition between phase 1 and 2-I accidently pulled a raging spirit off the tank. My soulshatter was on cooldown because I almost pulled TLK in phase 1. I'm simpliy going to have to twiddle my thumbs for a few seconds before DPS'ing things from now on. I've found this to be an issue in a large variety of instances. I use omen, but my threat happens so fast and...well, all at once (chaos bolt, conflagerate, immolate basically hitting at the same time), I cant control it. It kills me that hunters have feign death which is a 30 second cooldown agro drop, without a reagent, but we have a 3 minute cooldown that uses a reagent and only drops 50% of our threat. I am grateful for the 3 minute cooldown, seeing as It was 5 minutes not too long ago... :-X

well, i hope they will soon do something for me to reduce threat, as a Demo warlock i have no talents to reduce my threat.

Dream ability : soul shatter 30 sec CD does not consume a soul shard with a minor glyph

only fair since hunters have feign :P

Threat still isn't supposed to be a problem. On my tank in ICC 12k tps is easily maintainable spamming the macro for the 969 rotation as a paladin, throw in a tricks or MD and you're golden for sure.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

This was especially a problem on Deathwhisper Hc, whilst i do switch to adds often to try and keep my threat down, once dots are ticking on the boss you can't get them off, and with SS on cooldown its retarded. Would like to see a shorter CD on SS, as well as no reagent, but that may happen in Cata with changes to the SS system. Or maybe allow the ICC buff to boost threat.

well the icc buff still boosts tank threat not in the same scale as our threat increases but it doesnt completely lack behind. Locks have always had large threat issues in just about every tier so far that ive noticed. IDK guess what im getting at is to me it doesnt seem so strange that warlocks are having threat issues because I'm just so used to seeing it (malygos had to be the worst for afflic that i can remember).

0 threat issues. Haven't used shatter in weeks, never get vigilance or hands. I usually get the first ToTT when pre-potting to roll my corruption and I receive a PI once in a while. Doing over 15k dps on average and peaking over 20k dps on blood lust. This with 1 rogue and 0 hunters in the raid.

If threat's an issue the problem lies at your tanks. They either don't know how to play or they don't know how to itemize. This has been said many times.

Warlock threat is FINE. Threat in general is FINE.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account

I see this happening a lot to me. Even know my gear isn't that great, I'm still pulling threat in 10mans and even heroics.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus
    0 threat issues. Haven't used shatter in weeks, never get vigilance or hands. I usually get the first ToTT when pre-potting to roll my corruption and I receive a PI once in a while. Doing over 15k dps on average and peaking over 20k dps on blood lust. This with 1 rogue and 0 hunters in the raid.

If threat's an issue the problem lies at your tanks. They either don't know how to play or they don't know how to itemize. This has been said many times.

Warlock threat is FINE. Threat in general is FINE.
    You have threat reduction talents sunshine. Seriously, dump them and try again.

As a Demo lock i have no talent to reduce my threat.

Lich king 25man herioc 1st transistion phase, i personally pop meta to squeeze out as much damage as possible, the first add i have np, but when the second add spawns decimation is usally up, so if i get a chain of 4set proc, molten core, meta and decimation my first soul fire would hit for like 40k, the tank has no where near the kind of aggro to stop me from pulling that, i genreally have to wait a few seconds, which of course, could mean upwards of 60k damage :/

Quote Originally Posted by Certin
    As a Demo lock i have no talent to reduce my threat.
    Same issue here bud.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Certin
    Do you guys notice generating more threat lately then usual ...

Ive been having problems with pulling bosses off from tanks and SS is always on CD.

this is more the case in 10m then 25m though.
    I've got the same problem since its 20% i even need to use my soulshatter on start.
    And need to ask for a pala for hand of salvation all the time.

Kinda annoying tho.

And yes, i'm also a demon lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka
    You have threat reduction talents sunshine. Seriously, dump them and try again.
    I'm not just talking about my CURRENT spec smartass. I'm talking about every possible viable spec a warlock can pick. Including demo.

For your information, affliction WITH the threat reducing talents is still able to produce more TPS than a demo lock. Which is still not enough to outTPS a capable tank. On top of that, most of our damage is done by SB which doesn't benefit from threat reduction.

Let's add something else to this whole equation. People here are saying vigilance, MD, TOTT, salvation and shatter aren't enough? Well, pardon my French but that's plain bs. Like I said, without any of those I NEVER need to shatter. In fact I receive the first TOTT, I prepot and get PI at pull.

You claim my threat reducing talents are responsible for this massive discrepancy? I say the people you play with need to do some homework on how their class works. We always raid with 1 demo lock averaging 13k dps and 2 affliction locks. None have threat issues.

In raids, threat is only an issue with incompetent tanks. That said, have a close look at your tanks.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not just talking about my CURRENT spec smartass. I'm talking about every possible viable spec a warlock can pick. Including demo.

For your information, affliction WITH the threat reducing talents is still able to produce more TPS than a demo lock. Which is still not enough to outTPS a capable tank. On top of that, most of our damage is done by SB which doesn't benefit from threat reduction.

Let's add something else to this whole equation. People here are saying vigilance, MD, TOTT, salvation and shatter aren't enough? Well, pardon my French but that's plain bs. Like I said, without any of those I NEVER need to shatter. In fact I receive the first TOTT, I prepot and get PI at pull.

You claim my threat reducing talents are responsible for this massive discrepancy? I say the people you play with need to do some homework on how their class works. We always raid with 1 demo lock averaging 13k dps and 2 affliction locks. None have threat issues.

In raids, threat is only an issue with incompetent tanks. That said, have a close look at your tanks.
    It does seem to be a common problem since the buff hit 20%, particularly effecting Demo locks, and particularly during initial burn phases. By the time Affliction starts generating serious threat, any tank should have a good enough lead for it to be irrelevent. It does not change that common theme there has been through this expansion, where as things move along tanks are doing shit threat early on in fights. It is a running issue, so much so that they've completely rethought how Tanks are going to generate threat in the next expansion, so please don't just randomly insult people telling them they suck when you're clearly unaware of the circumstances.

I really don't find 'lol nubz I do 20k DPS and my tanks have no problem' a helpful answer when someone asks if there is anything they can do to mitigate the effects. One way or another we've got to work with the tanks we have, not just band insults around at them, especially when Blizz acknowledged the problem of tank threat scaling so long ago.

The best suggestion I can give, is raise the issue with the guild on your guild forums or wherever, and work with your Rogues, Hunters and Tanks to make sure the tank has a decent enough lead.

You misinterpret my reply. You're offended because you know I'm right. The quantity of warlocks complaining about this alleged 'problem' isn't even close to being enough to validate it as a 'common' problem.

Fact STANDS that warlock threat is fine and that it's YOUR TANKS' fault if they can't manage to generate enough threat. Mathematically, it's impossible to outTPS a tank at pull if you have him, the rogues AND the hunters do their job.

Stop acting so offended just because someone disagrees with your blatant assumptions. You presume the flaw lies at the Warlocks' side, while all proof leads to believe the contrary.

I never insulted anyone. I just brought up the questionable skill of the tanks in question.

Again, just in case you missed it: 1 rogue in guild, no hunters, first tott on me, 3 warlocks, NO THREAT ISSUES.

Do your homework and read again why blizzard is changing the way threat works. For one, they think tanks generate too much threat at the moment. Which most people agree on, since threat hasn't been a real problem (much like mana) in a very long time.

If you decide to quote, keep everything in it's original context please.

10+ Year Old Account

You misinterpret my reply. You're offended because you know I'm right.

Fact STANDS that warlock threat is fine and that it's YOUR TANKS' fault if they can't manage to generate enough threat. Mathematically, it's impossible to outTPS a tank at pull if you have him, the rogues AND the hunters do their job.

Stop acting so offended just because someone disagrees with your blatant assumptions. You presume the flaw lies at the Warlocks' side, while all proof leads to believe the contrary.
    If untalented Warlock threat is fine, why did they buff the talents?

10+ Year Old Account

Seriously, Blizz have acknowledged it's a problem. They're changing the whole mechanics of tanking threat next expansion to fix that problem. They buffed our talents because it was a problem. Yet here you are saying there is no problem. ???