A mod idea (dps/threat in one interface)

After conceiving the idea to write a mod that does what I want and eventually decided I just don't have the time to look into what it would take to do it (let alone actually write it), I figure next best thing is to either ask if it already exists in some form or share with the community in case someone wants to run with it.

So, the problem: dps wants/need to track their damage output. Raid leaders and tanks want them to watch the threat ceiling instead (while not falling behind on damage). Omen shows you more information than you need and your damage is somewhere else.

My idea: one bar with text superimposed over the top. The bar fills and changes color based on threat level. This bar ONLY evaluates your threat versus the tank's threat (a bar to agro gain), or when tanking tracks your threat versus second in line (bar to agro lost). The text super imposed can be dps, total damage, tps, tps vs tank tps (time estimate to agro gain), etc (text should be configurable for the user).

Ideally, this is less information to track without sacrificing feedback. Too many players can't be responsible for low damage because they can't/won't pick their name out of recount and so miss the real time feedback on what works versus what doesn't (and you know these people aren't exactly reading theorycraft threads to maximize their damage). Or you have the dps whore that jumps the gun and kill himself and the raid for the sake of a big number that can't be bothered to pick his name out of omen.

I hope you see where I'm going with the idea. My vain hope is that it already exists and it's just not something I've heard people talking about and I can spread the good word. If not, well... as best as I know you can't configure omen and recount to only show you the information that a base player should be interested in (raid leader is a different scenario).

Re: A mod idea (dps/threat in one interface)

Skada lets you set up a window that will default to a Damage meter but page to a threat meter and switch back once combat has ended...

But a Damage meter with a visual threat indicator doesn't sound half bad...
    The only thing i know is that i know nothing

You should not need to see your damage during combat, hence why skada does that switching by default.
    You can manually override that easily enough for use on a dummy, but there is little reason, or even a necessity to do on there.
    Therefore such an addon is unecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Unnecessary?.. Damage meters are unnecessary, yet most players have them. Heck the base UI is 'supposed' to be all you need. And players really 'should' be responsible for knowing their class... Our realities apparently have diverged. In my universe people do and should monitor their damage output but not at the expense of threat and positioning. I'm proposing putting the pertinent information in one place. If you just want to hate on damage meters. Ok, your hated is noted... moving on.

A damage or any other measure, and a threat meter visible at the same time are unecessary is what I meant.
    Anywhere a threat meter should be active is somewhere you should not be watching the damage.
    Its a distraction and means you arent watching other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

ComputerNerd is correct.

However, there are simpler threat addons than Omen/Skada (ranked bar systems).

Check out lolThreat and MyThreat for text-based your-threat-only displays.

Threat Bar and Simple Threat Meter both give you one bar on screen, showing YOUR threat compared to the highest threat on the mob.