Healing set up in a 25 man Raid

Ok, so I started raiding as dps, guild needed a tank so I leveled a warrior and tanked for a year or so, now I don't have as much time I have raised a priest to heal. I have always run pugs for my 25 mans and something I have only just noticed is this..

.. when I was tanking and leading pugs I would put all my healers into one group to make it easier to keep track of them. I see people doing this a lot.. Now that I'm healing I'm finding myself left in a group with a bunch of healers.. only thing is.. most of my aoe healing spells are only party wide.. I can't believe I overlooked this when I used to set up raids.. but no one said anything.

... and no one says anything now. All of the healers just seem to deal with it.. there isn't even a discussion to decide who is healing tanks.. I used to at least do that when I was leading pugs... basically I feel like all of the healing is done.. the raids are successful.. but basically the healing is a big mess. I've been looking at overhealing stats on recount and they are crazy. Everyone is overhealing more than they are healing.

Should I be saying something? or is it a case of .. if it ain't broke don't fix it?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Healing set up in a 25 man Raid

Most of your healing spells are... wait what?

Prayer of Healing A powerful prayer heals the friendly target's party members within 30 yards for 2091 to 2209.
    Circle of Healing Heals up to 5 friendly party or raid members within 15 yards of the target for 958 to 1058.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

The only thing you need to worry about is ranged and melee/tanks are in seperate groups because they are most likely to take damage together. Healers are usually put in the same group for mana tide.

The druid channeled AoE heal Tranquility is the only one I know of that is group only. And it's not even good in a raid setting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Overheals are crazy because mana just is not an issue except possibly on LK heroic 25.
    Paladins have always overhealed, it's just in the nature of their healing.

The only time we split the healers up was when we were doing Firefighter and we split the priests up for Holy Nova on Phase 2

Oh and the other Priest AOE spell:

Prayer of Mending: Places a spell on the target that heals them for 1043 the next time they take damage. When the heal occurs, Prayer of Mending jumps to a party or raid member within 20 yards.

So yeah, you are worrying about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Bielz View Post
    Healers are usually put in the same group for mana tide.
    ..and so we can trash talk the dps and tanks
    Last edited by Daedelus; 2010-06-11 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks for taking the time to write here people, Just to clarify.. I said AoE healing spells.. meaning circle of healing, prayer of healing and holy nova. At the moment I am finding it easier to just mitigate in Disc when I raid heal now.. and obviously stay disc for Tank healing. I just found there was no point in hitting CoH or PoH when they would only really heal a group of healers. I think from now on if I'm organizing 25 man raids I want to experiment with spreading the healers among dps and treating the raid as 5x5 man parties with the tank healers in the tank group. Having raided a little more as a healer I see all of your points though.

As a raid leader I usually put my healers all in one group with the exception of either a shaman or a druid in the tank group (Or both i suppose) Shaman for the 1% hit rating to tanks (alliance) and druid if there's more than one in the raid. don't want the tranquilities in the same group...

Overall it shouldn't be any major problem either way...

<Elemental Oblivion>
    We have candy. Get in the Van.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroldus View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write here people, Just to clarify.. I said AoE healing spells.. meaning circle of healing, prayer of healing and holy nova. At the moment I am finding it easier to just mitigate in Disc when I raid heal now.. and obviously stay disc for Tank healing. I just found there was no point in hitting CoH or PoH when they would only really heal a group of healers. I think from now on if I'm organizing 25 man raids I want to experiment with spreading the healers among dps and treating the raid as 5x5 man parties with the tank healers in the tank group. Having raided a little more as a healer I see all of your points though.
    CoH and PoH work raid wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroldus View Post
    Incase you haven't noticed.. but you can choose on which player to use your healing spells, that means if you cast Prayer of healing and Circle of Healing on player X then you will heal the player X's party(PoH) and if you cast CoH on X then you will heal everybody around X.

CoH is not limited by party groups, so when you cast CoH on say tank that is in group 1, all the melee standing around that are in group 2-3 get the heal.

When you target PoH on someone, his group gets healed, so say you are in group 5, you target it on someone in group 2 than only people in group 2 get that heal (if they are in range of that person)