High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Frost Infusion Tips

I'm going to be next in line to complete the pre shard collecting quests and was wondering what to do in my situation.
    I'm Ret with Holy as my offspec. PVE/PVP sets if that matters/helps.
    Reading from what other classes say on other forums and what I'm thinking is to:
    Keep SS up, having healers keeping an eye on me(beacon?), standing far enough not to get cleaved, healing oneself since u wont be dpsing, popping defensice CDs, using a frost potion on a breath and whatever else. (frost aura/maybe some cheap stam gems on my gear/hp flask/...)
    Is it worth getting frost resist gear just for 1 quest?
    Wondering what other people that couldn't do this as Prot did.
    Advice/Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ubergoose
    here is your rotation:
    face -> keyboard -> roll

try to grab some tank gear and make sure healers know ur about to take a breath speccin prot shouldnt be a big deal for the cds ya know what 50g for a shiny legendary?
    Tycat was here

Quote Originally Posted by Tycat View Post
    try to grab some tank gear and make sure healers know ur about to take a breath speccin prot shouldnt be a big deal for the cds ya know what 50g for a shiny legendary?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycat View Post
    Try to grab some tank gear, and make sure healers know you're about to take a breath. Speccing Prot shouldn't be a big deal. For the CDs, ya know? What, 50g for a shiny legendary?
    Fix'd, because you needed it.

OT: At this point, with the +20% healing/health/absorbtion, Frost Gear shouldn't be needed, nor switching to Prot. Just make sure you're fully raid buffed, and yes, tell the healers to keep an eye on you. Having another Paladin throwing Hand of Sacrifice on you isn't a bad idea either. And use Divine Protection. Other than that, this' been done by many Ret's, as, well, Retribution.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPistachio View Post
    Bornakk lifts the cup of coffee up to his mouth...
    ...when the Scythe of Elune comes crashing through it.
    ???: I can't you let you brew that, Starbucks!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did it with 515 Frost Resist (COMPLETELY unnecessary). Sadly I don't know how hard the frost breaths hit you in 515 resist because I resisted all 4 waves of it. Best of luck
    Because I should probably have a link to my armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/smoff/simple

I did it in a prot/ret pvp spec. With pve gear but stoneblood flask. I just dps'd with a prot rotation once I got my breaths.

Wasn't too bad XD

Did like 8k dps

I used Glyph of Salv and Aura Mastery as cooldowns as well but the healers cooldowns like priest bubbles seemed to work fine. Have freedom ready as the breath gives you a slowing debuff which you'll need to clear and the buff icon you recieve from the breath drops off after you have your 4 stacks so don't stress.
    If your doing it on heroic i'd be using at least a couple pieces of FR gear to make life easier and the mats should be cheap anyway. We also use resistance flasks for the fight which might be a good idea.

Goodluck!!
    Last edited by Daffyduck; 2010-06-13 at 03:58 AM.

Lightbulb

Maybe not a must, but i´d get the BS frostres-pieces if you feel it´s risky doing it and the healers might not be on the ball.

Icebane Chestguard , Icebane Girdle and Icebane Treads costs 2 stacks of Saronite Bars, 7 Eternal Fire, 7 Eternal Water and 3 Frozen Orb.
    Add 1 Lesser Flask of Resistance and you have 467 FrostRes with FrostRes-aura, and add Aura Mastery and slap on
    a Glyph of Salvation and you should have no problems to survive the breaths.
    And perhaps the gear can be handy to wear in pvp when you spot a evul frostmage.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to copy and paste the guide I did for my guild:

I'm skipping the Unholy Infusion, since there isn't much that the Raid as a group has to be aware of (except for the driver, and I've completed it and Orehor knows what to do). I did want to share the other 2 quests, though, with everyone so they know what to expect, should they be done (as well as a Strat for all 3 classes for each one).

Blood Infusion
    "[size=8pt]... You must face Queen Lana'thel in battle and subject yourself to her Blood Mirror. This will cause Shadow's Edge to drink the blood of the nearest living being. That being would be you, <race>.
    Once the blade has been thus awakened, allow the Queen's Frenzied Bloodthirst to take hold of you, feed the blade thrice to sate it, and then give the queen an ignominious death.
    [/size]"

For this second infusion, the player must do two things:
    • [li]Withstand a "tick" from Blood Mirror. This can be as short as 1 second.[/li]
      [li]Bite a total of 3 people.[/li]

Sounds easy, no? Well, as I found out the hard way, its a bit more complicated than that.
    In a 25 man setting, you will need the questee (the player with the quest) to be either a.) Biten first or b.) Biten second. Any later than that, and we run into an issue with either killing the boss too quickly, or hitting the enrage timer before the player can bite again. Most strats suggest to be the first target bitten, and I'll explain more a bit farther down.

Now, normally being bitten first or second wouldn't be an issue, as both myself and Orehor put out very decent DPS numbers on this fight. However, the issue is due to the debuff called Gushing Wound. Gushing Wound is applied as soon as the player takes the "tick" of Blood Mirror. The debuff reduces damage caused by 10%, and also gives a minor DoT. However, EACH time they bite someone else, the debuff stacks, up to 3 times. The debuff is removed after the "4th application". Meaning:

• [li]Player is affected Essence of the Blood Queen. Player takes a "tick" of Blood Mirror and is affected by 1 stack of Gushing wound.[/li]
      [li]Player bites their first victim. Gushing Wound is at 2 stacks.[/li]
      [li]Player bites their second victim. Gushing Wound is at 3 stacks.[/li]
      [li]Player bites their last victim. Gushing Wound is removed.[/li]

There are 2 ways to do this. If the player is to be the first target chosen to be bitten, they must be the highest on DPS. Once bitten, the player must then take 1 second of Blood Mirror, and move back into position. After biting their first, second, and third victim, the debuff will be removed 1 bite before we enter the final bite phase (i.e. they will be at 200% damage and not 170% for an additional minute). The other option is to have the player be the second person to be bitten. After they bite their third victim is when we normally use Bloodlust. Using these 2 set-ups, we have:

Set-up 1:
    • [li]First bitten. Dealing 190% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bites first target. Dealing 180% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bites second target. Dealing 170% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bites third target. Dealing 200% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bites 4th target, Bloodlust is cast. Still dealing 200% total damage.[/li]

Set-up 2:
    • [li]First bite is on another player. Dealing 100% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bitten by the first target that was originally bitten. Dealing 190% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bites first target. Dealing 180% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bites second target. Dealing 170% total damage.[/li]
      [li]Bites third target, Bloodlust is cast. Dealing 200% total damage.[/li]

Class Strats:
    Warriors:
    Should be using Shield Wall during her second Air Phase, to reduce the damage from Bloodbolt Whirl and the DoT. Can also Spell Reflect in Air Phase. Glyph'd Shield Wall is not recommended.

Death Knights:
    AMS on every cooldown, but try to time it so it is available on both Air Phases. IBF should be used during the second Air Phase to reduce the damage from Bloodbolt Whirl and the DoT. Glyph's IBF is recommended, but not necessary.

Paladins:
    Should keep Sacred Shield on yourself the entire duration of the fight. Can heal self through the first Air Phase. Divine Protection should be used during the second Air phase, to reduce the damage from Bloodbolt Whirl and the DoT, as well as Aura Mastery. Glyph'd Hand of Salvation is recommended if you are short on raid healers, but is not necessary. DO NOT USE DIVINE SHIELD. This removes all the stacks of Gushing Wound, effectively making the quest non-completable.

Frost Infusion
    "[size=9pt]... Shadow's Edge is prepared to receive its final infusion of power.
    Sindragosa, the enemy's own mount, must fall. But before she is brought down, you must sustain four of her frozen breath attacks without tasting death.
    Without his dragon, nothing shall stand between you and the Lich King. .
    [/size]"

For this final infusion, the player on needs to withstand 4 of Sindragosa's Breath attacks, and defeat her within 6 minutes after being hit by the 4th breath attack.

It is EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED that the player have a high amount of Frost Resistance gear. Each of her Frost Breaths deal 43,000 damage. With enough resistance and a cooldown, this can be brought down to a save level so the play can live.

Given the Magical Resistance chart:
    • [li]341-417 = 40% resistance[/li]
      [li]418-509 = 45% resistance[/li]
      [li]510-623 = 50% resistance[/li]

Players can obtain 417 Frost Resistance form the craftable Frost Resistance gear from a Blacksmith, in addition to 130 resistance form a Paladin Aura or Shaman Totem. Other forms of Frost Resistance include:

After a player withstands a breath, they will receive the debuff called Frost Infusion, which only deals minor Frost damage every second- This does stack up to 3 times, and is removed after the 4th breath, much like Gushing Wound from Blood Queen. Because this is Frost damage, it can be reduced by Frost Resistance (which you should have plenty of), but is also amplified by Mystic Buffet (ideally, you WILL have already taken 4 breaths before phase 3).

Key points to note:
    • [li]Fully Resisted, Partially Resisted, and Missed Frost Breaths do still count toward the 4-breath counter. Breaths that are Immuned do not count.[/li]
      [li]Sindragosa's cleaves hurt. A lot. You can stand out of Melee range in front of her, and still be susceptible to her Breath attacks.[/li]
      [li]You must kill her within 6 minutes of receiving the final breath.[/li]
      [li]You will get snared from her Breath attack. This means you have to move fast and be on the ball when she casts Blistering Cold.[/li]

Class Strats:
    Warriors:
    Should be using Shield Wall and Defensive Stand during the second and 4th Breaths. Can also Spell Reflect. Intervene can be useful to get out of range of Blistering Cold. Glyph'd Shield Wall is recommended.

Death Knights:
    AMS on every cooldown, but try to time it so it is available on all Breaths. IBF should be used during the second and last breath, and Frost Presence on all breaths. Glyph's IBF is highly recommended.

Paladins:
    Should keep Sacred Shield on yourself the entire duration of the fight. Can heal self when the Proc buff (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=58597) is up to roll off HoTs. Glyph'd Hand of Salvation is highly recommended. Hand of Protection will not reduce Frost Breath damage, but it will prevent Cleaves from hitting. Due to the mechanic of Forbearance, a paladin needs to rotate their utilities. An example would be Hand of Protection, Glyph'd Hand of Salvation, Divine Protection, and then Aura Mastery. DO NOT USE DIVINE SHIELD. This removes all the stacks of Frost Infusion, effectively making the quest non-completable.

The Splintered Throne and beyond

Once all 3 Infusions are completed, there is only 1 step left to obtain Shadowmourne: The player must collect 50 Shadowfrost Shards, which have a Moderate drop chance from Normal bosses and a High drop chance from Heroic Bosses. This quest can only be complete on 25 man, and the drops are random, much like Val'anyr.

After that, there are 2 quests left: The quest Shadowmourne... (where the player actually obtains the axe), and The Lich King's Last Stand, which simply has you kill the Lich King, although the actual weapon is obtained beforehand and it is not required to kill the Lich King before using the axe- This quest will also instantly give you Exalted status with the Ashen Verdict, if you are not already exalted.

Additionally, the Lich King will drop an Unsealed Chest, which can contain 1 of 5 BoE items:

Reins of the Crimson Deathcharger - A brand new mount that looks like the Death Knight's class mount.
    Muradin's Favor - A 10-minute Frost Dwarf transformation.
    Jaina's Locket - A portal to Dalaran on a 1-hour cooldown, you finally have your own pocket mage!
    Tabard of the Lightbringer - A tabard with a very shiny on-use effect.
    Sylvanas' Music Box - A music box that plays Lament of the Highborne.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies.
    No I'm 8/12 H ICC25 so its on reg.
    I got a Flask of Lesser Resistance, Glyph of Salv and Mighty Frost Resist Potion(s) ready now.
    Ill rock Frost Aura since I have AM. Depending on the prices of the Frost gear I might just get the Hodir head chant and cloak chant for more frost resist.
    Thanks for the Hand of Freedom tip as I'd probably catch on after but still!
    I'm going to rent the badge trinket for the stam/absorb possibly too.
    And ya Divine Prot ftw.
    This seems to give more than enough options to get this done.

Im working on a CD rotaion. Does anyone recommend one? As in my own CDs being DProt,AM,FrostPot,GoSalv and the badge trinket.
    Last edited by ABog; 2010-06-13 at 05:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ubergoose
    here is your rotation:
    face -> keyboard -> roll

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used all the frost resistance I could get (BS items, Ony items, FR enchants), regular ret spec with Aura Mastery, and used a FR potion and Flask of Stoneblood. I didn't use glyph of salvation, our holy priest just gave me my last cooldown as we did it on normal mode and there really wasn't fear of actual tank jibs. I kept myself out of cleave range but still within breath range, which some argue will gimp your DPS but in my opinion it was better running further than getting myself killed. Hand of Freedom is your friend when she takes to the air. Just make sure you're taking your 4th breath when you know you can kill her in the next 6 minutes. Since we got two air phases I took the very last breath before the first air phase and the next three after she landed. Sacred shield is your friend to mitigate the ongoing damage and don't do anything stupid in phase 3.

Cooldowns went like this:

My AM > Divine Protection > Other ret's AM > Guardian Spirit.
    Last edited by Rlyskilled; 2010-06-13 at 04:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    IMO put on a full set of frost resist/resistance flask so that you don't even have the slightest chance of getting gibbed. If you are 8/12 Heroic your raid won't need your extra dps to do the fight on normal and it is better to just make it easy on yourself and your raid. You are going to annoy some raid members when you get killed by it because you didn't put on any resist gear and then make them wipe the raid so you can do it over again.

TLDR: Absolutely no reason to not put on a full resist set even if you can get by without it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also key to note, having a lot of Frost resist makes you resist Chilled to the Bone frequently